android
Old 06-01-2012, 04:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Default Portable car stereo

I have a crap car and its on its dying legs (or wheels lol), I don't want to spend any money (or hassel/work) on putting a stereo inside the car only to have to remove it later (or lose it in an impeding sale of sorts).
So i was wondering, perhaps i can get a getoblaster or summin that will suffice as a kinda portable car stereo till I finally get a new car and do a stereo properly.
Of course im attracted to the idea of a decent getoblaster for other reasons such as outings, garden entertaining etc.

So im looking for recommendations here, and ways for it to run off a car cigarette lighter etc, and not be constantly replacing expensive Duracell fat batteries every journey.
PS, will need an aux line in for a sansaclip etc.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-01-2012, 04:34 PM

I'm not sure if there's anything out there that you could leave turned on, and control it by a key on power. I'd think it's definitely going to look more attractive to thieves.

Unless you're thinking of switching form factors, single-DIN to double-DIN, or the two shaft models (I forget what they're called), then you should be able to get a reasonably easy plug and play setup, from a wiring adapter and faceplate standpoint.

I pulled my alpine out of the last car I sold, and put in an old jvc unit I had lying around, and it only took about an hour and a 1/2. It would have taken a lot less time if I'd bought a second harness and prewired it, but I'm cheap on things like that, because I'd have ended up with an adapter to a car I'll never own again.

Old 06-01-2012, 04:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeh im happy to have the ghettoblaster or whatever in the back, and switch on before setting off, running a 3.5mm extension to the clip+ in the front of the car with me (or summin like that).

Old 06-01-2012, 05:02 PM

I've got an old school jvc kaboom (without the ipod docking station), but it seems to be a soft on/off switch, so you'd have to finger it or remote it on each time. I suspect a lot of the remaining ones out there are similar.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:58 PM
Redneck Moderator

If you got the room you could just get a construction radio(milwaukee and Bosche are the best) and an inverter.

Ruger M77 , Howa 1500 , Czech Republic 452-2E
Ruger .22 Single Six, Springfield Armory XD-9 , Springfield Armory XD45ACP
2007 Elite Archery Synergy

Gamo CFX, Gamo PT80
Large Rock

Need your headphones fixed or something soldered? Syndrome's Soldering Service

Old 06-01-2012, 08:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Anybody heard what the TDK Life on Record series sounds like?