android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 12-03-2010, 09:54 AM

Default Need Headphone Recomendations.

I'm looking for headphones (on ear or over ear) around the 50 - 80 (no more) mark to go with my Clip +.
I have been looking into a few headphones. The Shure SRH750DJ, AKG K450 and the Sennheiser hd555 (although they have went way up in price). Headphones with good bass would be my only real preference.

Can you guys give me some recommendations?

Cheers.

Last edited by Duffman93; 12-03-2010 at 10:03 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-03-2010, 11:49 AM

In my experience, the Clip+ has some trouble driving higher-end Sennheiser headphones. They won't be too loud and their bass will sound a little small.

You havent mentioned if you'd prefer open or closed cans. AKG K81 DJ are very good portable closed cans. Sennheiser 238 Precision sound really quite phenomenal for their price but are open and have very dubious portable application.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:55 AM

AKG518LE or AKG518LE (same phones just cosmetically different). Balanced sound (if you take the inner pads off) and plenty of bass. Not the more detailed headphones around, but great value anyways. The only caveat is that they clamp quite hard so if you are planning using for long sessions they may be somewhat uncomfortable.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:00 PM

BTW AKG 518 and K 81 are the same thing but labelled differently on various websites.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

too lazy to look up conversion rates, but how about hte m50? I have a set of hd428s and love them...but only with my J3. with my fuze+ and clip, they are just OK. BBE lets me bring out the bass in them. I tried an pair of Sony XB500 and they had tremendous bass.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupitreas View Post
BTW AKG 518 and K 81 are the same thing but labelled differently on various websites.
Not according to:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/...-dj-limited-ed

Old 12-03-2010, 01:10 PM

Closed headphones please, I'm not sure many will want to be hearing pink floyd or led zeppelin while I'm out on the bus.
Those Sony XB500 look good, I'll have a closer look at them.

Any more recs?

Old 12-03-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andkoppel View Post
Oh, thats good to know, thanks for the correction.

Either way, the AKG 518 DJ is indeed a good set of cans, although they might be too bassy for some.

Old 12-03-2010, 03:47 PM

I just ordered the Sony XB700 instead of the Sony XB500. I got them over the XB500 because they supposedly have great Bass and better highs and treble than the XB500.
They suit me perfectly: good bass, no need for an amp to drive them, closed design and really comfy.

Cheers for the suggestions guys.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:30 PM
ABI Invaluable

The high quantity of bass comes at the cost of being muddy and uncontrolled seeping into and overpowering the mids and highs making music with vocals or guitar less pleasant.

The XB700 have "great bass" like the Skullcandy TI/Skullcrushers have "great bass" hehe. You would be much better off with the SRH750DJ @ amazon.
Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677

Last edited by Adub; 12-03-2010 at 04:47 PM.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:58 PM

I'm sure I could always change the order.
Maybe the sound is just a personal preference though, because I have been looking at expert and user reviews and they are generally very positive. Mostly saying that the Bass is a big plus point, and since I listen to a lot music were bass would be a preference they would be perfect for me.
The main reason I didn't get the Shure's is because I have read that MP3 players will not drive the headphones and I would not get the full potential from them considering I would be using them just with my Clip +.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:45 PM
ABI Invaluable

My post wasn't about personal preference it was telling you the sound signature of the XB700. The bass will drown out ALL other frequencies, preference won't change that .

The AKG K81 DJ, Shure SRH750DJ, XB500 are considered to be better as they offer a small amount less bass but the mids and highs are much more present. Your clip+ won't have any problems powering the Shures.

Every kind of bass centered music has mids and highs as well so you're better off to get cans with excellent bass without crippling the rest of the spectrum.

Out of curiosity what "expert" reviews were you referring to? Any expert who considers the XB700 excellent should be thrown under a bus.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:58 PM

Ah ok, I must say one massive downside to buying headphones of the internet is you can't test them

Well I probably used the term 'expert loosely'. I went on the reviews I found from a Google search on the headphones. Also the head-fi forums were very favorable towards them, but I'm not sure how their forums are looked upon here.

Just wondering have you tried these headphones with electronic music? Since I know the bass may be overpowering for some genres of music, but I will be using them to listen to electronic music mostly.

Last edited by Duffman93; 12-03-2010 at 06:09 PM.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:25 PM
ABI Invaluable

I just did a bunch of forums searching on head-fi looking for alternatives for you, and i find that the majority of positive reviews are from people who have very little frame of reference for which to make a comparison or people who get them for very cheap.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:36 PM

I suppose I just made a bad decision then, I probably should have just went with the save option and got a pair of Sennheiser's.

I'll just have to give them a test when I get them and if I hold the same opinion as you, return them. Cheers for the advice on them.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

you can eq them down and get decent results. I should have quantified my "tremendous" by saying that it was the amount, not quality. Also, I did return mine in favor of the HD428. The xb500 is like riding in a car with a booming system.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:55 PM
ABI Invaluable

Most people will differ in their interpretation of "good bass". I am a self proclaimed bass head and i listen to a lot of music where bass is an important aspect such as hip-hop, dubstep, and drum and bass.

When i define "good bass" i first look at the frequency separation which basically means is the bass clean and accurate where you can hear different frequencies of bass going on at the same time and pick them out in your head.

The bass also has to have enough quantity that it is still the most significant part of the sound signature and being able to extend to the very lowest of frequencies.

Then i want the bass to stay where it's supposed to and not bleed into the adjacent frequencies causing distortion and causing the instrumental and vocal ranges to sound recessed.

The XB700 don't fit into most of those categories so i don't consider them to have good bass, just a lot of muddy bass that overwhelms the rest of the frequency range.

Hopefully you enjoy them because that is what it's all about.

Last edited by Adub; 12-03-2010 at 07:17 PM.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:17 PM

Forget the sennheisers, for that money the ATH-M50s(as mentions above), have some of the best bass around. They are also very comofortable. I would return the sony's, the xb series are only really comfortable, besides that, the bass bloats up the sound, and overshadows the mids and highs.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:32 PM

I'll confirm that the ATH-M50 sounds good but their headband is capable of ripping hair out of one's head.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

which senns are "that amount of money"? I got my hd428 for $55 on amazon. The m50 is $110. if you have $110, go for it. Highly recommended set around the web.