android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Cowon iAudio > Cowon J3

Old 11-28-2010, 08:36 AM

Default Questions on the price, multiple sd cards, drawing, and D2 comparisons.

Hello all I am really geared to getting the J3 but I have a few questions first.
How has the price been lowered since the US launch and how likely would the price be to drop somewhat more in the next few months? I first heard about the J3 last week and I figured it had just come out so waiting a few months would see a nice price drop. But then I found out it came out last summer and that the price isn't a whole lot lower since, at least not compared to the iphone lol.

If I were to get this I would want to get the 8GB or 16GB version and I'm weighing the costs of higher internal memory vs. more external memory. But would it be possible to have more than one microSD and swap them out whenever I wanted? Is the 8000 file limit only for 8000 files at one time so it wouldn't matter if I had 20,000 files altogether on the internal and several SD's so long as only 8,000 were loaded at once? Or does it keep track of every file that has been loaded making a bootup with different files slower?

This one's not a dealbreaker for me I'm just curious about the drawing app as an artist who would love to sketch out new ideas whenever I wanted. Can you change the stroke thickness and color? I'm not looking to draw the mona lisa just quick detailed sketches.

Finally I'm considering the D2/+ instead for it's lower price. I really like the J3's features but I have to decide if it's worth the money. I've actually been eyeing the D2 for a couple years and never got around/saved up to buy it as my old mp3 worked adequately. Just as I was about to finally buy it I hear of the J3 heh. Now I know J3 boards tend to say the J3 is a worthy upgrade and D2 boards tend to disagree but I figure the J3 board will be less biased as more users will have tried the D2 while less D2 board members will have tried the J3. Is the J3 that much more user friendly than the D2? I can figure out most consumer technology and I can get used to the worst interfaces but I am lazy and busy with school atm so the quicker I can get my unit rolling the better. Do the J3's basic features make the D2 obsolete or does it not really matter (well screen size is obvious but I mean music directory, movie playblack, photo viewer document viewer etc)? How are the J3's search function and dual browsing, and is that album art 2.0 feature available right in the player or is it something you have to work with on the computer and send to the player? Those last 3 I am anticipating the most out of the small features of the J3.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-29-2010, 01:50 AM

Well the abipod review cleared up at least one of my questions, anybody else? Anything you got I'd appreciate.

Old 11-29-2010, 05:08 AM

8000 songs on 32GB is ~4MB per song. Unless you are using really bad bitrate, 8000 is quite a lot. Even with 64GB, 8MB per song on an average is nothing. Your files, I am sure, would be larger and it won't be possible to have 8000 songs at one time (unless, as I said, you use very low bitrate which is pointless with a player of such high audio quality).

Old 11-29-2010, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Is the J3 that much more user friendly than the D2?
Absolutely, there's no comparison.

Quote:
Do the J3's basic features make the D2 obsolete or does it not really matter (well screen size is obvious but I mean music directory, movie playblack, photo viewer document viewer etc)?
Absolutely, as well. The J3 plays every AVI movie you throw at it, the D2 doesn't play a single movie that hasn't been transcoded to its exact specifications. Seeing the J3's 480x272 widescreen AMOLED next to the D2's 320x240 fullscreen TFT is quite the experience.

The J3 is gapless for music, the D2 isn't. Album art on the D2 is barely recognizable, it's that small (at least on the stock interface). Image and text viewer are much better on the J3 as well. Not to mention the additional tactile buttons on the J3.

Music list/tag browsing is no comparison between the two either.

Quote:
How are the J3's search function and dual browsing, and is that album art 2.0 feature available right in the player or is it something you have to work with on the computer and send to the player?
No idea what you mean with 'dual browsing'. The search function just works. It's pretty much the same keyboard you find on an iPhone, you enter a few letters and hit search. Not sure what you mean with 'album art 2.0' either. For album art you either embed it into your files with an app like MP3Tag or Media Monkey, or you simply put a cover.jpg in the folder of the album.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:07 AM

Hang tight, I made a video just a minute ago of the drawing features, but I need to get a video editing suite installed so I can splice it all together.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:27 AM

Hey guys thanks for the detailed answers! adibis I just needed to know if the limit was 8000 at a time but you answered that. dfkt that pretty much settles it for me then if it's that big a difference. I officially want the J3, I just have to hope I have enough money for it which I think I will. By dual browsing I meant browsing by folder and tags simultaneously, and by album art 2.0 I meant being able to "apply various effects to album art". Both of those apparent features are described on Cowon's J3 page which is what I was going off of. After reading the album art blurb again I realize it is accessed from the cowon software shipped with the player. Well either way at this point I have my sights for sure on the J3 money permitting. Thank you very much. And Emc that would be great, I look forward to seeing it.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:20 AM

Well so much for that attempt.... Sony Vegas and Cyberlink both require Windows Media player be installed and functioning to even begin the installation process. And here I thought I'd done myself a huge favor deleting the WMP system files to axe out the garbage integrated player.

I uploaded the best video I had in one take.

If a stylus for the capacitive screen exists, it would be extremely helpful. Trying to draw precision lines with your fingers is nearly impossible. If you had a stylus, I'm sure you could blueprint the first floor of a house, the program has large potential.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emc209i View Post
If a stylus for the capacitive screen exists, it would be extremely helpful.
http://tenonedesign.com/sketch.php

Old 11-29-2010, 08:18 AM

Cool

Hmm I will definitely consider one of those. And thanks for the vid Emc there's more features than I would have expected which is great. If I can't get used to going into details I guess I got options.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Absolutely, as well. The J3 plays every AVI movie you throw at it, the D2 doesn't play a single movie that hasn't been transcoded to its exact specifications. Seeing the J3's 480x272 widescreen AMOLED next to the D2's 320x240 fullscreen TFT is quite the experience.
I have been able to play AVI's on my D2 that I ripped or converted using generic software. I use WinxDvd ripper and converter.

http://www.winxdvd.com/

Old 11-29-2010, 02:57 PM

That wasn't the point I was trying to make. The converter app doesn't matter much, what matters is that they have to be 320x240 or smaller to play on the D2. Thus, 99% of all stuff you get nowadays has to be converted for the D2. In comparison, the J3 plays any ~800x600 movie just fine without converting (which is basically any AVI, since HD is usually in MP4 or MKV).

Old 11-30-2010, 09:43 AM

I have the D2 and the J3. They both sound good with BBE but the D2 sounds richer to me. Also, I haven't been able to get the micro sd card slot work with my J3. Never had any problem with an SD card in my D2.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:58 AM

First time I heard of issues with the J3 SD slot. Format the SD card with the official SDcard.org formatter - if that doesn't work, send it back under RMA.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:14 AM

Thanks. I contacted Cowon support and they gave me an RMA to send it back. Never heard of the official SDcard.org formatte but found it here. I'm not going to do that since my card works in my camera.

http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter/

Old 12-02-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bascom View Post
Thanks. I contacted Cowon support and they gave me an RMA to send it back. Never heard of the official SDcard.org formatte but found it here. I'm not going to do that since my card works in my camera.

http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter/

huh, why not? it does nothing more than formatting the sd card. ofc you will need to backup the data first.

Black Cowon J3 32 GB (Black Ringke Case) - no lousy Sennheiser CX 300 anymore, Pana HJE 900 took the throne... for keeps

Old 12-02-2010, 02:19 PM

If the camera stops reading the memory RMA it too.

Old 12-04-2010, 01:53 PM

Not to interrupt but I ordered my J3 the other day, should arrive next week. Only 8 GB but I will get 16gb sd's as I need them, don't really mind swapping out by genre/mood/media/whatever and $20-25 for 16GB is cheaper than $40 for 8 more GB.

So thanks everybody

Old 12-04-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3deprived View Post
Not to interrupt but I ordered my J3 the other day, should arrive next week. Only 8 GB but I will get 16gb sd's as I need them, don't really mind swapping out by genre/mood/media/whatever and $20-25 for 16GB is cheaper than $40 for 8 more GB.

So thanks everybody
i gotta say, interrupting a conversation in your very own thread is kinda rude.

nah, kidding. good choice.

Black Cowon J3 32 GB (Black Ringke Case) - no lousy Sennheiser CX 300 anymore, Pana HJE 900 took the throne... for keeps

Old 01-19-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
First time I heard of issues with the J3 SD slot. Format the SD card with the official SDcard.org formatter - if that doesn't work, send it back under RMA.
Cowon gave me an RMA but they want me to pay for shipping. I don't think I should have to pay for return shipping of a defective item. Cowon could just send me another defective replacement, or not fix mine and send it back to me, and I would be in the same situation I am now but have lost the additional return shipping cost.