android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Cowon iAudio > Cowon J3

Old 11-27-2010, 10:55 PM

Default Cowon j3 alternate eq for 55hz vs 80hz

Are there any alternate eq's for the j3 ?
Rockbox I don't think makes one for j3.

Looking to get 50hz area boost ... My j3 has the lowest boost @ 80 hz.

I'd like to have a 50 hz or so boost sometimes..... or Do I have to buy a clip+ & rockbox it. I love my J3 , just wish it had a lower freq .eq boost like foobar on my pc has

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-27-2010, 11:02 PM

What headphones are you using with the J3?
Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677

Old 11-28-2010, 03:15 AM

Thread moved.

The lowest band of the J3 EQ is a shelf (not a notch), it affects all frequencies below 80 Hz equally. You do get 50Hz boosted with it as well.

It's a hardware EQ implemented on the Wolfson DAC chip in the J3, its performance can't be altered. Any other EQ would have to be implemented in software, which would impact performance and battery life.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:57 AM

I lost my original Eq setting. I used all 4, and now can reset to normal. The problem is not the effects but the 5 band frequencies because i twicked the bandwith spectrum. Anyone remembers the normal settings or has a way to reset them?

Old 11-28-2010, 08:11 AM

Setting all bands to 0 is the default flat EQ - it doesn't matter what center frequency the bands have, or if they're "wide" or "narrow".

Alternatively, you can reset the J3 to defaults in the system settings menu. You will lose all other tweaks you made to the UI as well, though.

Old 11-28-2010, 12:30 PM

Why do you think it doesnt matter? it makes a lot of difference. Nevertheless i deleted the PARAM.*** file from the system, to reset the european version and eventually it reset all phone and jet effects aswell.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:22 PM

Default thnx dfkt for info

k, got it...

Just doesn't sound the same 'eq' wise as my home system with foobar. BUT , I love the sound quality of my j3. Might pick up a clip+ too & play with that...

i'm using hje900/stax 202's/ sr325is/xb700's (for fun & gaming)

I just have more of a mid bass hump on the j3 than my home system has with the same 4 phones. When I throw the xb700's on j3 ,,, YES I get more of a low bass sound than I do with the other phones. But again on my home system the way I use the eq I get low low bass on ALL phones that I don't egt on the J3 .... So was wondering how to remedy that ....

Old 12-01-2010, 11:52 AM

You simply can't expect a tiny battery powered player to reproduce the sound you get from a full powered home system. You might be able to come closer with a headphone amp, but the J3 just can't reach what a full powered home system can do and it's silly to think otherwise.

My Deviant Art page - they make great wallpapers

Old 12-01-2010, 11:55 AM

That's apples vs. oranges, a portable player with headphones vs. a home system with speakers.

And no, a headphone amp won't make the J3 sound "better" per se, since it already reproduces music faithfully. Some phones might be driven better with more power, but as a source component the J3 does its job generally as well as, say, a stationary CD player.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
That's apples vs. oranges, a portable player with headphones vs. a home system with speakers.
I know, that's my point. The OP said it doesn't sound the same as his system back home. He's talking about a PC, but still... It's apples and oranges as you said. My point is that he's expecting to get the exact same sound from the J3 as his home system which just won't happen.

My Deviant Art page - they make great wallpapers

Old 02-07-2011, 11:03 PM

Default Solved

So I grabbed a clip+ 8Gb. Rockboxed it can go down to 50,40,30,20hz !

So the answer thank you Dftk like you said ~ the J3 just can't go that low & there are no alternate EQ's for it.

And 'gorcorps '

I specifically asked "EQ WISE" as my home system, learn to read. Also the clip+"EQ WISE" does go low & even lower than my homesystem -

Idiot answering questions is more like it

Old 02-08-2011, 02:30 PM

hey, dfkt, you seem to know quite a bit about the equalizer. Not to hijack the thread, but do you (or anyone else) know what range of frequencies the narrow, normal and wide settings cover? I can't seem to find that information anywhere.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:02 PM

You can check the datasheet for the usual Wolfson EQ, pages 82 to 85: http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/document.../en/WM8986.pdf

It shows the bandwidths somewhat intelligibly, at least.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:20 PM

Thank you, moderately helpful. It only seems to show 2 bandwidth settings, but it gives you some idea.

Last edited by folkg; 02-08-2011 at 09:27 PM.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:40 AM

If you have the means of performing RMAA tests on the player, that would give better results than the datasheet.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Interesting link, don't understand shit on it but interesting nevertheless.

For the record Foobar does sound noticeably cleaner I was playing around with it yesterday. Came back to the J3 slightly disappointed then my ears got used to the 'sound' and all was good.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:03 PM

Foobar uses Windows' sound system (either DirectSound, WDM, or ASIO, depending on your configuration), like any other software player. Foobar itself doesn't change the sound in any way. Meaning, the difference is in your PC sound card hardware, not in the software.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Congrats, guess it's my sound card.

On topic I could have sworn I was the only one who played with the wide, normal, and narrow. It definitely produces results.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confispect View Post
Congrats, guess it's my sound card.

On topic I could have sworn I was the only one who played with the wide, normal, and narrow. It definitely produces results.
Nope....I have too.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:43 AM

If you are looking for some thick low end bass, I use a Fiio E5 headphone amp with my J3. It has its own bass-boost circuit that does a great job for adding a little more oomph to the low end without ruining clarity.

I find the machbass setting a bit 'compressed' sounding and personally I prefer less boost from the J3 with the E5.