android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Cowon iAudio > Cowon J3

Old 11-30-2010, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adibis View Post
Finally I have placed an order for the J3 on Amazon. I could not resist till Christmas. I hope it doesn't affect my studies much :P
congratulations and i think you made the right choice.

Black Cowon J3 32 GB (Black Ringke Case) - no lousy Sennheiser CX 300 anymore, Pana HJE 900 took the throne... for keeps

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-30-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
Honestly, they could use a native English-speaker to edit their descriptions so that they were clearer.

The actual SD card issue related to MTP mode was that if you had the card inserted but the J3 was not powered on, and you plugged the J3 into the PC, only the "internal storage" would appear in Windows Explorer. However if the J3 was powered on when you connected it to the PC, then both "internal storage" and "external storage" would show up in Windows Explorer.

With the 2.23 firmware, it now doesn't matter whether the J3 is powered on or not. If the J3 is in MTP mode and an external card is inserted, and the J3 is then connected to the PC, powered on first or not, both "internal storage" and "external storage" will now always appear in Windows Explorer, as they should.
Thanks for the tips. I bought a J3 a few weeks ago and still haven't been able to get the micro sd card slot to work. My J3 came with 2.22 firmware and the sd card would not show up as a drive on my PC. I upgraded the firmware to 2.23 and now the card shows up as a G: drive but still doesn't work. Whenever I click on the G: drive an error message shows up saying "invalid drive" or something. More importantly, it's very hard for me to remove the micro sd card from the J3. Last night it took me nearly 10 minutes of picking at it with my fingernails and using a pen to flick it out. My micro sd card is only 6 months old and works fine with my camera. I don't think I will bother using the J3 micro sd card slot because of these problems and will hope the 8gb of the J3 is enough.

Also, the J3 doesn't sound as good as my D2 to me. They both sound good with BBE but the D2 sounds richer.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selectortone
Regarding Amazon, if you are unlucky enough to return one faulty unit and the second one is also faulty (as was the case with two Archos 5 Internet tablets I tried) Amazon's policy is not to give you a third one even if you want one - they will automatically refund your money. Amazon are great with returns - if your unit is faulty there is no quibble whatsoever and their returns procedure is very professional.

However, I think you'd have to be really unlucky to get two faulty Cowons in a row.
Thanks for the clear info. Does this depend the adress/country you want your J3 sent to? Since I have some relatives going to the USA soon, I am thinking about buying a J3 and send it to their adress, so they can bring it home to Denmark after Christmas. Afterwards in case that the J3 is faulty, it would be great if I could just directly send it to Amazon.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:54 AM

UPS is crazy. They never enter my apartment. They don't call out the name or don't ring the bell/knock. They just come down at the lobby, stick the notice and leave. So much for home delivery, now I have to go and pick it up.

Old 12-07-2010, 04:12 AM

And finally I have got it. It's great player. No raised glass issue (or any other issue till now for that matter). Battery life is really unbelievable.

Old 12-07-2010, 04:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Congrats adibis...a fine fine player indeed.

Post some pics of your new toy and gear here:
http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/sho...ewpost&t=10947

cheers and enjoy it!
-les
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 12-15-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bascom View Post
Whenever I click on the G: drive an error message shows up saying "invalid drive" or something. More importantly, it's very hard for me to remove the micro sd card from the J3. Last night it took me nearly 10 minutes of picking at it with my fingernails and using a pen to flick it out.
Try reformatting your SD card with the Panasonic formatter designed specifically for SD cards - I have had zero problems with my Sandisk 32Gb card. SD card support works fine on the J3.

And you do NOT need to "pick at" or "flick" the card to get it out - it's spring-loaded. Just press in on the card and it'll pop out a little bit, then you just grasp and pull lightly. Most SD card slots seem to work this way.

Old 12-17-2010, 01:21 AM

Well, I just returned my J3 to Amazon. For its price the build quality is extremely poor, bad firmware (has lots of bugs - at least mine did). Battery life was nowhere close to 30 hours (no video). I am extremely happy with my clip+ after rockboxing it.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Well, I just returned my J3 to Amazon. For its price the build quality is extremely poor, bad firmware (has lots of bugs - at least mine did). Battery life was nowhere close to 30 hours (no video). I am extremely happy with my clip+ after rockboxing it.
hmm, ooooohk? what's wrong with the build quality if i may ask? it weights 75 grams so it might feel a little bit cheap or something, other than that it seems pretty ok to me?

i don't know about firmware bugs either, other than looping on bluetooth connections (though my mobile and my pc dongle aren't supposed to work anyway). 2.23 here.

about battery life: i'm sorry but i'm real angry about you in that department. if you don't know how a battery works you shouldn't judge its performance. the battery needs at least some 2 or three charges to unfold its true potential, it doesn't come preloaded like most of the idevices (afaik).

i haven't done a stress test yet but i know that the battery capacity was a lot lower after the first charge than advertised. knowing the simple things you should know about batteries i wasn't too worried and charged it again. the capacity increased with every charge.

Black Cowon J3 32 GB (Black Ringke Case) - no lousy Sennheiser CX 300 anymore, Pana HJE 900 took the throne... for keeps

Old 12-19-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Big mistake, IMHO. I have a Clip, Clip+, Fuze, Fuze+ (returned after two weeks; that thing is a buggy disaster) and an e280. All of them are sitting in a drawer gathering dust. The J3 is not only built much better, it's faster, has much better audio quality and a much longer-lasting battery (as said above, batteries need a few cycles to achieve best capacity).

I've performed two firmware upgrades (am currently running the latest - 2.23), added Chakra and a few custom UI tweaks - the firmware has never given me the slightest bit of trouble.

The J3 is the player I've been waiting for, for years. With 64Gb, it holds every CD I've bought since 1984 and has plenty of room to spare.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:10 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The fact that the J3 is better than the Clip+ is no surprise. After all, it is around 5 or 6 times the price! Is it 5 or 6 rimes as good though? I doubt most who want a player just for audio would say that. I guess if the 8 GB J3 was priced under $100 it would be much more appealing for the general public.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:17 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Again with that bullshit? The J3 obviously isn't for the "general public" (meaning, you). Good luck finding a capacitive AMOLED touchscreen player, with all the features the J3 has to offer, for under $100.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:11 PM

Amen.

you just can't sell a device featuring such high grade features like an amoled display, which alone costs about $25 (if not more?, don't know whether the digitizer is included) along with a dualcore-cpu/soc with bluetooth and mSD card slot, the license for the BBE eq. ...

this stuff sums up and selling that sub $100 means just one thing: bankruptcy.

why you can't admit to that fact and come up with the very same arguments is beyond me.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

How desirable is it for an mp3 player to have an AMOLED touchscreen? I guess the idea of a touchscreen is to have a relatively small player with a larger screen. Those only interested in audio don't need the larger screen though. Of course those interested in watching video on a pocket sized player will appreciate the larger screen. Many don't want to watch video on a player.

Is for example something that is 20% or 30% better worth 5X the price? For most people the answer is no. I do realize that the J3 is made in small numbers. It would be interesting to see how many usits of the J3 sold and compare that to the unit sales of the Clip+. My guess is that the Clip+ units sold are at least 20 times as much, but may even be 100 times as much or more.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
It would be interesting to see how many usits of the J3 sold and compare that to the unit sales of the Clip+. My guess is that the Clip+ units sold are at least 20 times as much, but may even be 100 times as much or more.
What's your point? I'm sure there are 100 times more Hondas sold than Aston Martins. Both good cars, but different strokes for different folks.

I prefer a touch screen interface , not just because it yields a larger screen-to-device ratio, but because I find the navigation much more enjoyable. If you are going to have a touch screen player, would you rather have a crappy, low resolution, low contrast screen or a vibrant high-resolution screen? The reason why people would want it should be obvious, it looks nicer. If I'm planning on buying a media player, I want the overall experience to be enjoyable, not just aurally, if I can help it and I'm willing to pay for it. It's the same reason some people buy Westones and Shure IEMs instead of Apple earbuds. If you can get nicer, can afford it and will ACTUALLY appreciate it, why not?

Old 12-21-2010, 01:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
How desirable is it for an mp3 player to have an AMOLED touchscreen?
Once again you absolutely do not grasp that different people have different needs and wishes for a player.

Me, I don't give a damn about anything that's important to you. HD radio? I don't use radio at all. SDXC slot? It will be there when it's there - I'm fine with the capacities I have at hand. Battery life? Fine for my needs on all my players, including the Clip. AAA battery? That's just pathetic. Price? Don't buy it when you don't want to pay the price, just stop whining about it.

What's pissing me off about your posts is that you always tend to portray your personal (weird) needs as "for the greater good", as "that's what everybody wants" - in reality it's something only you care about, nobody else. Yet it always sounds as if your way is the only right way, and everything that doesn't fit in your super-narrow view of things has no reason to exist.

Just cut it out. Try to understand that you're not the center of the universe, and that your incessant posting of the same annoying mantras over and over on ABI won't change the MP3 player market at all.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
The fact that the J3 is better than the Clip+ is no surprise. After all, it is around 5 or 6 times the price! Is it 5 or 6 rimes as good though? I doubt most who want a player just for audio would say that. I guess if the 8 GB J3 was priced under $100 it would be much more appealing for the general public.
i could understand your point better if you actually owned a J3 and had a bad user experience (it can happen).

But how do you know what is appealing or not to the general public?

Presumably the Sony A847 is appealling enough to some people at 300.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
I guess if the 8 GB J3 was priced under $100 it would be much more appealing for the general public.
LOL funny shit I guess thats why IPOD touch's sell so few because the general public hates the price

Quote:
We are talking about a J3 right?Either i am a cheap date or easily fooled because i have not found any faults with build quality or the battery after cycling it. Bugs? Yes but allot...No
Have fun with the Clip i like mine but not as much as the J3 (i would say i love my J3 5 to 6 times more)

Old 01-04-2011, 10:26 PM

As DFKT said - different people, different needs. The only thing I bought the J3 was for audio quality. I don't have a requirement of anything else.

It does play better than the Clip+ (or any other player I have ever used). Point is - am I willing to shell out ~$270 for a little increase in sound quality (over rockboxed clip+) when the cost difference is over $230? Even 200 with a microSD in the clip+. The answer was simple - I did not want to.

When you add to that, it does not (did not) work on Linux - which is what I use 99.99% It froze 2 times (and did not respond to reset button) 2 times in less than a week. The file browser randomly went to the root directory, it was showing the directory J3 in all directories. A format did not solve the issue neither did firmware upgrade.

Battery - I don't know if the frequent freezes were the cause or the infinite firmware loop was the problem but it never gave me anything close to 50 hours.

Finally - I am happy with the clip+. It hasn't given me a single problem. Battery is poor but at least there are no freezes, no issues with Rockbox, everything I want is right there. Plus - doesn't give me any problems on Linux. Not even when I want to upgrade the firmware do I need windows. And I don't expect everyone else to agree.

Last edited by adibis; 01-04-2011 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Added the last 3 lines

Old 01-05-2011, 06:21 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bascom View Post
More importantly, it's very hard for me to remove the micro sd card from the J3. Last night it took me nearly 10 minutes of picking at it with my fingernails and using a pen to flick it out.
The card should pop out after you push it in a bit. There is a catch in there to keep cards from falling out, and the resistance you felt is that catch. I know I was stymied the first time I used a microSD card. I also use the tip of a pen to make sure I get them to "click" in when installing.

I suggest getting a new card just for the J3. Your camera may have formatted the one you are using in a way that is incompatible with the J3. Stick a fresh one in the J3 and see if your PC reconizes and can write to it. Keep it seperate from the one you use in your camera.