android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Cowon iAudio > Cowon J3

Old 11-26-2010, 05:49 AM

Default Considering buying J3 - need some help

Hi,

I have looked at a lot of threads and have almost decided on buying J3 for Christmas. There are a few questions on my mind though.

After looking at a lot of places I have seen a few problems occurring again and again for some people.

1. Screen coming lose - is the build quality on this PMP really that bad?
2. Battery issues - these seem to be random and most people seem to get good battery.
3. Bricking - a more serious issue.

Now my question is - in case of any of these problems, what are my options. I will be buying this from amazon. Has anyone had any problems with amazon about this? If I have there problems and continue to have them, can I return the player and get my money back (within the 1 year warranty period of course).

I am also considering buying a good pair of headphones. Can someone please suggest good in ears below $100? The Kplisch image s4 look good.

Regards,
Aditya

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-26-2010, 06:01 AM

1 year warranty doesn’t mean you get money back, it means Cowon will repair or replace your player for a new one. You’re reading too deep into the negatives, the J3 is a great player, if you find an issue within the first week or so just have it replaced.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 11-26-2010, 06:06 AM

Err - I made a mistake. I meant return within 1 year or get money back (within the first ~30 days or whatever amazon gives).

As I said, I am almost certain about buying this but the negatives are popping up everywhere.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:35 AM

You can find negatives about any player, ipod, sansa, sony, samsung, the list goes on … many peeps post about their problems/issues rather than the good aspects. I’ve had a cowon over 3 years now and it’s still rocking and my second cowon is close to a year now and it’s still rocking, both without any issues and if I had the money right now I’d go for a j3 no problem but in the end the decision is all yours.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 11-26-2010, 07:53 AM

You won't find people posting "my player is fine" as much as you find them posting when they have issues with it. That being said, my J3 is perfectly fine in every way. Same as with any other quality brand, it's probably less than 1% of all people that have issues, but looking through forums of course distorts those statistics.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:58 AM

in modern times mass produced products/devices are prone to defects failures. and people generally are better at complaining about failures than acknowledging good things.

yes, there are several people complaining about the screen coming loose.
if you are one of those unlucky persons: just rma it and get it fixed for free.

there are no battery issues, at least that i know. there were some guys who either didn't charge the player correctly or didn't know that lithium batteries need some charging cycles to get to full capacity. that's why apple products are fully charged from the beginning (afaik). if your battery is defective though, and this might happen as it is just another mass produced product, you simply rma it.

the thing about bricking tends to be either carelessness (not safely ejecting the player, although modern usb-fed devices are resistant to unsafe remove) or connecting it with a mac when it isn't really compatible. i partly blame cowon for stating it is fully compatible and macos for writing ghost files on every fucking device it encounters/is able to write on. those ghost might not be deleted by macos and the cowon sw/fw can't handle it and bricks. most of the time you can unbrick it by formatting the drive or deleting the ghost files.

i guess not to connecting it to an apple computer/device at all would be the best thing to do, though. ;-)

Black Cowon J3 32 GB (Black Ringke Case) - no lousy Sennheiser CX 300 anymore, Pana HJE 900 took the throne... for keeps

Old 11-26-2010, 08:05 AM

The player is obviously great. I don't think I will have problems with mac since I don't own/use one.

Any Linux users around? I use Arch 99.99% of the time. If this works on Linux then I won't need reboots every time I want to transfer music.

Old 11-26-2010, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adibis View Post
The player is obviously great. I don't think I will have problems with mac since I don't own/use one.

Any Linux users around? I use Arch 99.99% of the time. If this works on Linux then I won't need reboots every time I want to transfer music.
don't know about arch but linux in general should be no problem, as it will treated as a mass storage device, like any other ordinary usb stick, so to say.

Black Cowon J3 32 GB (Black Ringke Case) - no lousy Sennheiser CX 300 anymore, Pana HJE 900 took the throne... for keeps

Old 11-26-2010, 08:10 AM

It could be that Linux also puts garbage files on the player, such as .Trash-*/ and similar - but only OS X garbage files such as .DS_Store seem to harm the J3. Haven't read about any Linux issues yet.

Old 11-26-2010, 12:45 PM

Regarding Amazon, if you are unlucky enough to return one faulty unit and the second one is also faulty (as was the case with two Archos 5 Internet tablets I tried) Amazon's policy is not to give you a third one even if you want one - they will automatically refund your money. Amazon are great with returns - if your unit is faulty there is no quibble whatsoever and their returns procedure is very professional.

However, I think you'd have to be really unlucky to get two faulty Cowons in a row.

Old 11-27-2010, 01:31 AM

Seems alright. I haven't had a problem with Amazon yet. Hopefully I won't have one in this case either.

Old 11-27-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Seems alright. I haven't had a problem with Amazon yet. Hopefully I won't have one in this case either.
@adibis - I doubt you will have any problems with Amazon as I returned 4 32GB J3's and Amazon was extremely accommodating and in every case did the right thing. The problems I experienced were very specific to my setup and should not dissuade anyone from buying a J3. After everything I went through it's still my favorite player to date.

As far as bricking the device I can only echo the comments that have already warned against connecting the J3 to an Apple Computer or using it through a virtual environment created by Parallels or otherwise.(it's still on an Apple computer!) After "bricking" several J3's and an X7 I've taken a Windows machine out of storage just to use with COWON devices.

Raised glass and build quality - some if not many have reported no glass issues and a few others including myself have had the raised glass problem. I think the build quality is pretty good and should you get a device with raised glass it can be easily fixed.

When I decided to stop sending the J3 back to Amazon and deal with JetAudio they fixed the raised glass issue on my 32GB J3 the very 1st time and since then I've returned it once more and got it back finally yesterday. No raised glass or build issues here to report.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:34 PM

Default CowanJ3 issues

I recently bought the J3 based on reviews. I loved the audio quality, voice recorder and stand alone speaker. I started experiencing problems with the J3 a few days after purchase which include the clock losing time first a minute then 20 minutes every two hours even uploading the new firmware version 2. It also made a sound as though something was loose on the inside on occasion, I don't know why it was doing this and the J3 had never fallen. I found this was indeed very strange for a new device. There is no album art and sometimes the screen was a bit finnicky.

It was easy to down load music and pictures I did not try uploading movies. I was not impressed with the plastic on the device.

After owning an ipod and a sony walkman I felt the high price point of the device warranted that the device function much better. The ipod still keeps accurate time after 2.5 years and does not make sound.

I returned it after 2 weeks even though I had purchased a two year extended warranty.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:32 PM

Anyway - I have decided to buy it, I am just waiting for my semester to end in case I have problems with it, I don't have the time now to follow up with Amazon.

I like the player from reviews but if I continue to run into problems I will see what to do.

Old 11-27-2010, 09:31 PM

Apparently the J3 has issues with the micro sd card slot not working based on the firmware updates:

http://www.jetaudio.com/download/cowon_rn_j3.html

Old 11-27-2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bascom View Post
Apparently the J3 has issues with the micro sd card slot not working based on the firmware updates:
Honestly, they could use a native English-speaker to edit their descriptions so that they were clearer.

The actual SD card issue related to MTP mode was that if you had the card inserted but the J3 was not powered on, and you plugged the J3 into the PC, only the "internal storage" would appear in Windows Explorer. However if the J3 was powered on when you connected it to the PC, then both "internal storage" and "external storage" would show up in Windows Explorer.

With the 2.23 firmware, it now doesn't matter whether the J3 is powered on or not. If the J3 is in MTP mode and an external card is inserted, and the J3 is then connected to the PC, powered on first or not, both "internal storage" and "external storage" will now always appear in Windows Explorer, as they should.

The second issue related to MSC mode, and create/update of M3U playlists (on internal storage, which is the only place M3U playlists can be placed), and that crucial first re-boot after the M3U maintenance is finished.

Before 2.23, if you had an external card inserted when you did that crucial first re-boot after completing the M3U playlist work, the new/updated M3U playlists would NOT be analyzed properly and were essentially worthless. They would appear under Music -> [Playlists] with their ".M3U" extension visible (which should not be the case if they've been analyzed correctly), and if you tapped on them you would see "No Files".

The pre-2.23 circumvention was to temporarily remove the SD card before that crucial first re-boot after finishing the M3U playlist work. Once that re-boot (and associated proper M3U playlist analysis) was complete, you could then re-insert the SD card and the analyzed/cached M3U playlists would work fine.

With the 2.23 firmware fix you can now leave the external SD card inserted even during that crucial first re-boot after working on M3U playlists. It is now irrelevant to the correct analysis/cache of the M3U playlists whether or not the SD card is inserted or not. The M3U playlists will be properly analyzed/cached at that crucial first re-boot, regardless.

As far as the third SD card issue which was fixed, relating to a "non-supported card", I never experienced that problem myself.

However I did personally experience the other two issues (described above) and can confirm that both problems were indeed corrected by 2.23.

This is not to say that the J3 is now bug-free, as there are still known problems (which have been reported to Cowon) that remain un-fixed. This includes at least (a) MSC/M3U playlist functionality only supports music files on internal storage whereas MRP/PLA playlist functionality supports music files located on both internal and external storage, and (b) MTP mode does not properly analyze and detect imbedded album art in ID3/FLAC tags, whereas MSC mode does.

Old 11-27-2010, 11:08 PM

O.o So they do work on problems quickly. That is a good thing.

Old 11-28-2010, 04:28 AM

Quote:
O.o So they do work on problems quickly. That is a good thing.
you just need to give them some "incentives".

what i mean is write the support team a mail and describe the bug and possibly tell them how to reproduce it (step to step how and when the error/bug occurs). that way they can address the issue and release a new firmware. no complaints - no bugs.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:37 PM

@deadohiosky, Well if they respond then I don't have submitting any and all the bug reports. I had a really bad experience with HP about tech support. Since then I stopped emailing any company with problems in the hardware.

You always have the IRC for S/W

Old 11-30-2010, 01:19 AM

Finally I have placed an order for the J3 on Amazon. I could not resist till Christmas. I hope it doesn't affect my studies much :P