android
Old 11-25-2010, 01:10 PM

Default No gapless on External Memory?

Hi folks,

Is it just my J3 or does external memory not support gapless playback? I have no problems playing these same files when stored on internal memory. I have a sandisk 16gig class 2 microsd card.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-25-2010, 01:15 PM

I'm having all my music on the SD card (exact same card as yours), none on internal memory, and gapless works perfectly fine.

Maybe format the card properly with the official SDcard.org formatter, and try again. Back up your data before you format, of course.

Old 11-25-2010, 01:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Is the OP using LAME, or another codec? LAME is gapless, zing (as in iTunes) isn't on the J3 AFAIK.

Old 11-25-2010, 01:34 PM

He said they work when played from the internal memory.

iTunes uses the official FHG/Thomson codec, not Xing.

Old 11-25-2010, 01:36 PM

yes, the files i'm referring to were ripped using LAME. But even the songs i ripped with itunes (when i had a nano a few years ago) can be played gaplessly on internal memory. i only have problems when playing songs from my external memory card. anyway, i'll try to format using the SDformatter to see if it helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Is the OP using LAME, or another codec? LAME is gapless, zing (as in iTunes) isn't on the J3 AFAIK.

Old 11-26-2010, 12:37 PM

I've recently bought a J3 and gapless is working fine on the microSD card I was previously using in my Clip+. The tracks are 320bps mp3s encoded with LAME.

I was listening to a Thin Lizzy live album just this morning so I can definitely confirm this - no gaps in the audience clapping between tracks. Dark Side Of The Moon plays seamlessly too.

The card is a Class2 SanDisk 16GB microSDHC.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:13 AM

did a full format sdformatter. most of the gapless tracks i put on works, but there are a few tracks that don't. i'll try to re rip them. as a side note, i sometimes have problems playing videos on the sd card too. sometimes i play a video, and after a while, the video will slow down and get really choppy. the buttons and touch controls become unresponsive and i have to reset the player. sometimes the videos work, and sometimes that same video doesn't. however, these same videos work flawlessly from internal memory.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:28 AM

What's the codec and bitrate of those videos? You can find that out with Mediainfo.

Old 11-28-2010, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglor808 View Post
did a full format sdformatter. most of the gapless tracks i put on works, but there are a few tracks that don't. i'll try to re rip them. as a side note, i sometimes have problems playing videos on the sd card too. sometimes i play a video, and after a while, the video will slow down and get really choppy. the buttons and touch controls become unresponsive and i have to reset the player. sometimes the videos work, and sometimes that same video doesn't. however, these same videos work flawlessly from internal memory.
the video problem could be due to the internal "card reader" being able to only transfer at a limited bandwidth/bit rate and that's why it can't cache enough of the video data and it gets choppy. the flash memory is faster and has no such problem.

Black Cowon J3 32 GB (Black Ringke Case) - no lousy Sennheiser CX 300 anymore, Pana HJE 900 took the throne... for keeps

Old 11-28-2010, 02:30 PM

i convert tv shows from my hauppauge PVR using the Jetaudio cowon media center with the default Cowon 02/s9/j3 output: AVI(Xvid+mp3); 368x272; 552kbps bitrate; 29fps; 128kbps mp3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
What's the codec and bitrate of those videos? You can find that out with Mediainfo.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:42 PM

That's weird, that's well within supported specs. Sorry, I'm out of ideas.

Well, one more idea: you could try converting them with this tutorial, those files work perfectly fine for me and everybody else (and I don't trust Jetaudio): http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56633

Old 11-30-2010, 03:12 PM

As far as I understood, the higher class the higher speed on the flash cards (at least that goes for Kingston). That could explain why the videos gets choppy and the music isn't gapless.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:14 PM

The speed of the SD card doesn't matter at all when it's inside the J3. The J3's SD controller is way slower than even the slowest card. It only matters in a dedicated external hi-speed card reader.

My Sandisk Class 2 16GB SDHC card gets about 12Mbps write speeds in my quality Hama reader, but only about 4Mbps in my J3.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:45 PM

Oh, I see. You learn something new each day, heh!

Old 12-12-2010, 05:30 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by selectortone View Post
I've recently bought a J3 and gapless is working fine on the microSD card I was previously using in my Clip+. The tracks are 320bps mp3s encoded with LAME.

I was listening to a Thin Lizzy live album just this morning so I can definitely confirm this - no gaps in the audience clapping between tracks. Dark Side Of The Moon plays seamlessly too.

The card is a Class2 SanDisk 16GB microSDHC.
You know, there IS a very slight discontinuity when playing some albums from my SD card - 'Dark Side Of the Moon' for example (despite what I wrote above!). It's much better than my D2+, but it's still there.

Of course, the simple fix is to move albums that need gapless to the internal memory where gapless really IS gapless

Old 12-12-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
The speed of the SD card doesn't matter at all when it's inside the J3. The J3's SD controller is way slower than even the slowest card. It only matters in a dedicated external hi-speed card reader.

My Sandisk Class 2 16GB SDHC card gets about 12Mbps write speeds in my quality Hama reader, but only about 4Mbps in my J3.
Hi Dfkt, Regarding to the battery life with your J3, have you noticed some drain difference when listening from the sd memory, i mean, the battery last less than using the internal memory? that is a big deal for me as to buying a cowon with more memory. Thanks

Old 12-12-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
You know, there IS a very slight discontinuity when playing some albums from my SD card - 'Dark Side Of the Moon' for example (despite what I wrote above!). It's much better than my D2+, but it's still there.

Of course, the simple fix is to move albums that need gapless to the internal memory where gapless really IS gapless
I listened carefully, and gapless works 100% for me, from external memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ666 View Post
Hi Dfkt, Regarding to the battery life with your J3, have you noticed some drain difference when listening from the sd memory, i mean, the battery last less than using the internal memory? that is a big deal for me as to buying a cowon with more memory. Thanks
The battery lasts so long, to me it seems the additional power draw from the SD slot is negligible. I couldn't tell you if there would be a noticeable difference by just using internal memory since I always get over 40 hours (at least) from a full charge, which is more than enough for my needs.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:10 AM

Quote:

Hope it's OK to resurrect this old thread (...and to quote myself!).

I've cured the problem I was having with gapless on external memory - I received a 32GB class2 Sandisk card today and before I loaded any music on it I used the SD Association Formatter to format it.

True gapless is a big deal for me as I listen to a lot of live recordings and the dip in audience noise between tracks is distracting. And of course you have to listen to a lot of Pink Floyd gapless!

I'm happy to report that this has fixed the problem.

Just another of the many useful things I've learned from this forum - thanks again!

Old 05-24-2011, 08:51 PM

Thumb Up

Thanks for the tip, selectortone. I reformatted my microSD card today after hearing blips in the transitions on my rip of Frank Zappa's Make a Jazz Noise Here, and it's worked so far through several tracks! I realize it's been a few months since it was posted, but I think this is worth the thumbs-up bump.