android
Old 11-23-2010, 07:51 PM

Default IEM choice, Q jays ?

Hi,

For the past month, i've been using some ep-630 (actually, two years...) and a sony s série player (NWF-S638F).
I don't have any problem with this configuration, but christmas is coming, and i feel like i could get a big improvement in sound quality !

I remember the first time i put the ep-630 on, and the big difference i felt... Well, i'm ready to live that again.

For the player, i plan to get a cowon j3, which i don't think i can go wrong with.

Then, comes the IEM's... I really like the q-jays, but is there anything on the market wich have a better value in this range of price ?
(About 170 dollars, we have some european website where you can find them at 150 with the euro/dollar convertion
I ask just to make sure, but the q jays seems perfect. I've read that they are pretty much allround, wich is what i need.( I'm definately not a bass addict, i just like them clean)
And most of all, the q jays are small. I just can't stand weird-shaped IEM's, i guess i have weird ears :/

I may have to add that they may be used with an amp in the future. I can see me with a mini³ .

So, here is the question : Can I go with q jays without any chance to regret it ?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-23-2010, 08:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You might want to take a look at the Panasonic RP-HJE900, they're less expensive and have a higher rating.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 11-23-2010, 09:17 PM

Thanks for this first answer, it really seems like an interesting choice, but...
I just checked the head-fi multi IEM reviews... They certainly have a greater value, but the sound seems to fit me less.
As i said, i'm not a big bass fan, and this is written in the conclusion : "The bass and treble are quite strong, perhaps excessive for some."
I'm afraid i would be some of those...

I still consider the choice, as the prise difference could get me an amp way faster...And then, I read that in dfkt's review :

"They do not need an amp in any case, neither my Headstage Arrow nor my Echo AudioFire made them sound any different than they would sound straight out of a decent MP3 player."

I don't know how to take that... Is that a big "pro", or, a "con" who makes them less valuable ?

Old 11-23-2010, 10:25 PM

I tend to think that not having to use an amp is an advantage, and with how quality DAPs are made there is generally very little reason to use portable amps. The need for an amp is a burdon, and if you can have a portable setup that doesn't require an amp and sounds fantastic that can only be a good thing.

The only reason i can see needing an amp is if you are trying to drive high impedance phones' or to minimize/remove hiss from low impedance phones'.

Perhaps the PFE would be better suited to your needs and you can read dfkt's review here.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:07 AM

The PFE looks like perfect...My only problem about it is the shape :/ so i should find a way to try them, and if they are confortable to me, should be the best in my budget range !

I really had a crush on the q jays, but it doesn't look like they are that great for what i want

Old 11-24-2010, 03:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
You might want to take a look at the Panasonic RP-HJE900, they're less expensive and have a higher rating.

1+ I don't think you'll find the Bass excessive, just more then the Q-jays, (In a good way).

The Phonaks are also a good buy in conclusion I still say the HJE900 also not needing a amp is a good thing.

Last edited by Confispect; 12-08-2010 at 12:41 PM.

Old 11-25-2010, 03:48 PM

Well.... I may go for the phonak, from the other reviews that i've read, they look really good. My only concern now is about comfort. Some people find them perfect, some don't ... It's all about ear shape, so i'd like to try them :/

Old 11-25-2010, 04:10 PM

how good is the bass on these headphones?

Old 11-25-2010, 04:24 PM

Don't forget you can EQ the bass down if that is a consideration. I have not tried either.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:19 PM

Well, i'm about to order my J3 and my pfe's...

I'm fixing to get them from amazon, but they're talking about "revision II" pfe 112...What is it suposed to mean ?

Old 12-08-2010, 05:19 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The first revision had some build quality issues, those were fixed in the second revision.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:56 PM

Thanks !
I finally ordered my pfe's from the official website, and the j3 from amazon...
i'll update my first feelings on friday !