android
Old 01-06-2011, 10:38 AM

I tried you instructions and they worked!

I took a bunch of notes that may help others.

MSC Mode

The player is seen. Clicking on the Playlist button shows no existing playlist, although there are 5 on the R0 that were created on the R0.

Some songs are not visible. The folders are visible, but the .wav files aren't. mp3 files can be added to the playlist.
Disconnect. The playlist is visible and it works.

Use EmoDio again. The playlist is visible to EmoDio. Still, the ones created on the R0 are not visible. The listing for every song in the playlist has two garbage characters at the end of the song names.

MTP Mode

Select songs, right click and select "Create Playlist". It works. But..., I can only add songs from a single directory. There is no way to add other songs to the list from sub-directories, so this is not very usefull.

The playlist (.pla) is created in the Music folder, not the playlist area. (The EmoDio MSC .spl playlist was created in the Playlists folder.) Move the .pla files to the Playlist folder.

EmoDio does not understand .pla playlists, and they cannot be edited there. (At least while still in MTP mode.) There is no longer a Playlists button in EmoDio for the R0.

The playlists exist in the R0. The R0 copies the playlist to a .spl playlist, probably during database update.

The .pla files are some weird special format that show up as 0 bytes. They aren't even visible in a hex file viewer.
Warning: clicking open on a .spl file may open a Shockwave Flash Player.

Back to MSC mode… All playlists can be seen by EmoDio. (I assume that these are just the .spl ones.)

Take away:

• Songs can only be added to playlists if they are already on the R0.
  • The EmoDio buttons that turn the right-hand screen on and off aren't concerned with the device at all times. The playlist button only shows playlists on the PC.
  • Wave files cannot be added to playlists by EmoDio, but they can be played on the R0.
  • You cannot switch modes while EmoDio is running without breaking EmoDio. Close EmoDio before unplugging the R0. Otherwise, it doesn't see the device when it is plugged in in a different mode. (I started in MSC, unplugged, changed to MTP, and there was no device when the R0 was plugged in again. EmoDio could't see the device at all, even after restarting EmoDio. I had to go back to MSC mode, plug it in, shut down EmoDio, then change modes to get EmoDio to see it.)
  • MTP mode is of very limited use for playlists. And maybe for anything else.
  • The R0 understands 3 playlist formats: .pla, .spl and .fav. EmoDio only understands .spl; it doesn't understand the R0's .fav playlists.
  • Since EmoDio doesn't understand the R0's format, creating playlists on the R0 is a waste of time. (However they might work if renamed to .spl; I haven't tried that.)
  • The R0 converts .pla to .spl for its internal use.
  • Playlist .spl and .fav formats are identical, except the .fav file is padded with null characters to make up a 64k block. They both start with FF FE as the first word.

Thanks for your help. It looks like it will be a usable product after all!

Last edited by OPunWide; 01-06-2011 at 11:28 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-17-2011, 06:53 AM

Hello,
I have r0.
I would like to have my music on the microSD card. Unfortunately when I play a song that is on the microSD, the "Add to Playlist" option appears as turned off in the menu.

I would like to be able to add songs in my microSD card to a playlist. How can I do that? Or how can I make the "Add to Playlist" option appear as available for songs on the microSD card?

Thanks

Old 01-17-2011, 07:01 AM
Samsung Moderator

Impossible due to the separate management of the microSD card.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
*snip* I can unbrick my DAPs myself but a normal consumer is obliged to send his mp3 player to the after-sales service center with those beta firmwares...
*snap*
and we can not unbrick our players why?
if there is no special samsung hardware or something needed,
please pm the procedure.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Sure, since you offer it so nicely.

The things that (so far) annoy me the most about the R0 firmware are:
  • First button-click turns on the screen, only the second click executes the function I want it to do. This is highly annoying. I don't want to turn on the screen when the player is in my pocket, I want it to skip a track, or pause/unpause it - on the first click, not on the second.
  • Very slow bootup time. Even without database rebuild, this thing takes ages to start. It should have a sleep mode with instant-on or something similar, like Cowons and Sonys.
  • Annoying startup and shutdown sounds can't be turned off.
  • No pan/balance. The easiest to implement feature, right after volume control. My ears are imbalanced (and so are the ears of a multitude of people out there), pan/balance should be an essential feature on any player - just like on any decent home hifi amp. Can't use the R0 without a self-made pan control adapter cable.
  • Gapless. Well, it's ridiculous not having gapless in 2010. Just thought I mention it again.
copy that.
all of it!
especially the gapless part. :/

Old 01-19-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
Samsung told me this bug will be fixed in next firmware IF they decide to release a new firmware.
So I'm currently negociating with them to get a one more firmware release (probably the last one)

My current requests list is:
-fix manual library update issues
-fix: myDNSe settings lost in sleep mode
-Improve safe disconnection on Windows Vista and 7
-Fix the issue in Text viewer in Russian language (words are cut at the end of lines)
-Fix this bug: After updating the library manually in the settings, there is an issue in “recently added” songs. It displays all songs added at the same date (today) even if files were added at different dates
-Fix this bug: When selecting Datacasts icon while there are no datacasts on the R0, it displays 2x the word “EmoDio” in French and Italian languages
- what exactly is a "manual lib update". whats it for? never used it.

- havent used mydnse so far as it would use up more battery power.
wich is ridicioulisly short anyway. no i dont watch many vids or leave
the screen highlighted. frankly i am very thrifty, where ever i can.

- with "safe" disconnection you mean the manual removing process of
devices? or removing on win7 in general? i always just pull the plug
and havent had any issues so far. (of course no write or read process,
nor any file on the player is in use at that point.)

big thx for your persistance towards samsung and all your help for us!

Tags
1.23, firmware, r0, samsung, yp-r0