android
Old 11-14-2010, 01:08 PM

Default How good is the headphone jack?

I have had lots of mp3 players where the headphone jack wears out within 1 or 2 years and you only get one channel of sound. Does cowon's normally have this problem?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-14-2010, 02:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Not that I know of. A search of this forum for "audio jack" will usually reveal when a player has an unusually bad jack.

The J3 also has Bluetooth and speakers. If the jack wears out the music can live on with an <$50 set of bluetooth headphones.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:18 AM

if a jack "wears out" it's not always the manufacturer's fault. it might wear out naturally because of the connector.

Black Cowon J3 32 GB (Black Ringke Case) - no lousy Sennheiser CX 300 anymore, Pana HJE 900 took the throne... for keeps

Old 01-12-2011, 02:07 PM

I'm interested in this as well, I really like the Clip+ as it's just a music player and nothing else however I've had two with failed headphone jacks (third was going that way until I had an accident with the power button) and it seems my Fuze has gone the same way too. All of them have had this happen well within the year and in one case within a matter of days, they don't seem designed to take a larger headphone connector very well. The original Clip is fine in this regard but limited on capacity.

Although the J3 isn't what I want in terms of size and functions, I do want excellent sound quality which the J3 looks good at but also need a durable headphone jack particularly when paying six times the cost of a Clip.

John

Old 01-12-2011, 02:36 PM

I had a Samsung P2 from 2008 which jack now only works at certain angles - the backside of it was also about to fall off (was loose), so that was why I decided to buy myself a J3.

The picture above is a comparison of the headphone jacks on the P2 and the J3. I am not sure if this really does make any difference in how easy it is to damage the jack over time, but I can tell that there is a difference in how "tight" the headphones is connected to the J3.

Generally in contrast to my previous P2, every physical input on the J3 feels more tight and it requires more "strength" to connect it. On the other hand this P2 is as previously mentioned soon 3 years old though, but I certainly don't remember the P2 having the same tight feeling as the J3. I suppose that's a good thing, but I'll leave that question to technicans, hehe.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:23 PM

Thanks for the reply and the picture, it's a little hard to tell what design the Cowon is using for the headphone port (I assume it's the black one). On the Fuze and the Clip+ there seems a very slight gap round the end of the jack/port which allows the headphone jack to move slightly in each direction which I assume is what's lead them to loosen over time until the connection has loosened. The Clip mk 1 has a connector which looks like the Samsung in your picture (the white one?), the headphone jack can't seem to move at all within the socket and despite my first Clip being older and having had a harder life its headphone jack is just fine.

John

Old 01-13-2011, 06:01 PM

If you are worried about headphone jacks because you plug in and out too much why not buy a short 3.5mm male plug to 3.5mm female plug and leave it plugged into the player. Here's an example http://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Right-Fe...962856&sr=1-17 but they can be found cheaper.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 01-14-2011, 08:28 AM

It's not the in and out action (I keep the headphones with the player most of the time), it's the motion of the jack when it's in the port that's the issue. I've tried a couple of connectors but they seemed flakier than the port on the player itself.

John

Old 01-14-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMcL7 View Post
It's not the in and out action (I keep the headphones with the player most of the time), it's the motion of the jack when it's in the port that's the issue. I've tried a couple of connectors but they seemed flakier than the port on the player itself.

John
Maybe a right angled plug would do better, it's worth the try to modify your connections and both Neutrik or Switchcraft make some nice 3.5mm right angle plugs.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc