android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 11-13-2010, 07:38 PM

Default Earphone advice needed please, replacement for UE Super Fi 5

Background: My Ultimate Ears Super Fi 5's have broken after 8 months use (one of the earphones no longer works), which was very disappointing as they were the most expensive earphones I've owned. I blame myself, I could have looked after them better. My previous earphones, Sennheiser CX-300s, lasted a lot longer, and I found them to be of higher build quality than the Ultimate Ears (though poorer sound quality).

Although I was generally happy with the sound quality of the Ultimate Ears I don't want to spend that much on a replacement pair only for them to break again. So I'm tending towards something slightly cheaper (but not too much cheaper) than the Ultimate Ears. I'm considering the Sennheiser CX-870 - but going from the Ultimate Ears would this be too much of a step backwards since I was spoilt for sound quality?

In terms of what I'm looking for; I liked the Ultimate Ears sound for most tracks, but I found they didn't cope so well with "big" sounds like orchestral or metal music, then the quality would drop off. I'd like something more universal, as I listen to a wide variety of music. Secondly, I like to have good bass but as long as it doesn't drown out the mid-range and treble too much (which is what I found with the CX-300), the mid-range and treble were the biggest improvement that the UE's gave over the CX-300s and I don't want to go back on that improvement too much. But I'm not after perfection, just something that I won't mind listening to having been used to the Super Fi 5 that costs as much or less than the Super Fi 5. I'm buying these to use with a Cowon S9.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-13-2010, 07:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Don't you still have warranty after only 8 months?

Old 11-13-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Don't you still have warranty after only 8 months?
Maybe, but as I didn't look after them as well as I could have (I have learnt my lesson now) I'm assuming for now that they won't accept it.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Still worth a try to get a warranty replacement.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 11-14-2010, 04:12 AM

There are still things to try but I don't want to be dishonest, I admit this thread is kind of my back-up option.