android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Cowon iAudio > Cowon S9

Old 11-12-2010, 03:05 PM

Default absolute number of playlist limit recognized by S9 music library?

Does anyone know if there's a limit to the absolute number of music playlists the S9 music library can recognize? I just loaded a bunch more music onto my S9, and it appears that it only recognizes the first 402 playlists on my S9 if they were sorted in alphabetical order. When I looked around online, I saw a statement that the S9 can only handle playlists with up to 400 songs in them, but I don't seem to be finding any information as to the absolute number of playlists the S9 can handle.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-04-2010, 08:28 PM

Yes, you are correct. It's not the S9 though. It's Cowon who has put the limitation of songs for each playlist. I've messaged them over and over again atleast five times and they have never responded. I have been told buy a friend in China that his Cowon doesn't have any limitations on each playlist so I suspect this is something Cowon has done to the rest of the world. Why they would do this is beyond me but it's not just the S9 having this issue. I believe all Cowon devices sold in Europe and the U.S. have the same problem. All it would take is one update from Cowon to remove this limitation but they have yet to respond to hundreds of requests for this very thing. I highly recommend you go to cowonamerica.com and create a ticket and tell they you want them to remove the playlist limitation of 400 songs on each playlist from the S9 player. Let them know that their device is the only mp3 device with this limitation and it's annoying.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:42 PM

Thanks for the reply. I was actually more concerned with the total amount of individual playlists the S9 can support. It does seem to be around 400 total on the player. On my S9, there was one time when I had a twenty volume CD series with one .m3u playlist of 320 songs, but usually, I do playlists by album or set, so I usually don't go over 50 or so. I can't see any time in which I'd need an individual playlist to include more than 400 songs, but some people apparently do. I just think it's lame that if you have over 400 albums on your S9 and want to have .m3u playlists for each one, the S9 won't recognize more than the first 400. I recently passed over 400 albums on my S9 (mostly 128 VBR .ogg), and I ended up just deleting all of the playlists on the player. Now I just play each album using the folder mode. I did notice that some of the quirks that I was having with my S9 as far as the media library went went away after I removed all of the playlists. I started having general media library issues once I went past around 200 playlists on the S9. Bottom line, .m3u support on the S9 has issues.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richteratmosphere View Post
I just think it's lame that if you have over 400 albums on your S9 and want to have .m3u playlists for each one, the S9 won't recognize more than the first 400. I recently passed over 400 albums on my S9 (mostly 128 VBR .ogg), and I ended up just deleting all of the playlists on the player. Now I just play each album using the folder mode.
What is the use of album playlists unless you want to change the order of the tracks? Now I understand how one can max its quota if wasting it that way!
Players can group music by artist/album keys. If you want to listen an album you just need to go to the Music menu and artist->albums or albums->[all albums list] directly. On a modern player the folder browser should not be used often for media content, unless the music library is not tagged which is not a device issue.

Playlists are made to group tracks with any other "unwritten" criteria and go beyond the natural classification/sorting that comes with tags. Sadly some people do not understand that tags are more important and useful than files names.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:47 PM

True, meetooman, your way works, but it's just a personal preference. I like browsing using each album's playlist. Maybe it's the remnants of being used to browsing through each CD in my collection organized alphabetically by artist fist. I have all of my playlists named like this: Artist - Album Name [FILE FORMAT]. I just like being able to click on a single playlist after I search, instead of searching by artist, clicking on an album, then clicking again to play the album. I just would rather use that method. Just a personal preference. I just don't prefer your method is all.

Last edited by richteratmosphere; 12-06-2010 at 09:49 PM. Reason: more information

Old 12-06-2010, 09:55 PM

Some people use playlists using your criteira. Many others do not. It is very common for people who store music files on their computers or personal media players to include .m3u playlists for each particular album within that album folder. It's not a matter of people not "understanding." With tags, .m3u playlists, etc., people are given the freedom to playback, organize, and catalog their music in the manner in which they wish.

Meetooman, reading your post a second time, it comes off a bit condescending and arrogant.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
It's not a matter of people not "understanding." With tags, .m3u playlists, etc., people are given the freedom to playback, organize, and catalog their music in the manner in which they wish.

Meetooman, reading your post a second time, it comes off a bit condescending and arrogant.
Sorry if I hurt you, it's only that I am shocked by the way people complain about problems they create themselves by trying to go against their device logic instead of using the smart tool they are given the way it was intended.

By the way for me arrogance is asking a device to do what I want when the manual says what it can do and how to use it properly.

Everybody has the right to organize to their liking, but when your liking goes against "Cowon sense" you could start to wonder what is wrong with your organization... But instead you ask for more!

You believe that those playlists are organization? Your player has news for you: It is not a good one. Guess what? Maybe Cowon engineer even knows better and are trying to tell you something...

From your first post and when you describe your playlist usage it is clear that you think "PC" ,"files" even when you use your portable player. It's wrong. Your DAP is a different animal. Your "albums playlists" are certainly useful shortcuts on a PC where you should otherwise open a music application to select what you want to listen to etc. But in your player they are a form of disk pollution.
Your "album playlist" is a file organization file for a PC and does not suit the content management logic from a modern device player.

You should not try to reproduce your PC habits on a player. I repeat: This is not a PC, it is made to be used differently. Your player is already the music program running. Its database is there to help you. Use it and keep your playlist usage for other creative grouping tasks.

Everybody have the right to miss-use their tools, to go against their operating models, but your Cowon gives you the opportunity to open your mind to other patterns without leaving your PC procedures. Don't dismiss that because you are used to something else.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:55 PM

Meetooman, you haven't hurt me. I do; however, find you to be extremely obnoxious.

The Rockbox developers allow you to change their custom firmware settings to expand the number of playlists your device will recognize. Apparently, there are users out there who desire a large number of playlists.

Your posts haven't my original question. They've only served as condescending lectures.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:40 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Meetooman, your post doesn't make sense for the simple reason that if it is true the Cowon players in China can store larger playlists, there should not be this limitation for other players, and Cowon should correct this.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
I have all of my playlists named like this: Artist - Album Name [FILE FORMAT]. I just like being able to click on a single playlist after I search, instead of searching by artist, clicking on an album, then clicking again to play the album. I just would rather use that method. Just a personal preference. I just don't prefer your method is all.
BACH 10 albums
MAHLER 5 albums
MOZART 3 albums
I want to listen to the 2nd Mozart album on my Sony player

Single playlist: -> Playlist --> 17 down = 18 clicks

Music -> Artist -> Album -> Mozart -> 2nd album : 1 + 3 + 3 + 2 = 8 clicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by musichound View Post
Meetooman, your post doesn't make sense for the simple reason that if it is true the Cowon players in China can store larger playlists, there should not be this limitation for other players, and Cowon should correct this.
I suppose you mean more playlists here, because I know that it exists also limits on playlists length sometimes. The very question is whether it makes sense to fill your player with those "albums playlists".
You can also create a playlist with each single song on your player that will not be in any way more useful or wise to find your songs.

What I say is when you are blocked using a method, it should open your eyes on some better ways to do things. For sure using a Rockbox enabled player, another region, another unlimited player, will free yourself from thinking about changing.
I didn't invent this message: When you hit a wall it forces you to think differently. Why not McGiver the problem? Your stock player has a solution, it is free on delivery, why look elsewhere?

Richteratmosphere, you have many smart solutions to manage your music. On this forum there are experts who can do amazing things when mastering MediaMonkey for example. I wish I could learn more from them. A lot of people add the format directly to the album title tag, because they double a MP3 and a FLAC collection and filters using file type are not always easy. Why not?
But the "album playlist" is a bad technique. I never want to be rude, I don't think I am here. But what could be for you the not-obnoxious way to describe the need you should have to get a rid of a bad idea?

You are using something useful in a wrong way. An accident gives you the opportunity to open your eyes. Cowon engineers and modestly myself are trying to help you. We offer you a way to save 400 playlists on you player, maybe a way to extend your touch-screen life too.

But I figure that your choice will not be to learn from this experience. I am not surprised because I understand that most people, like you, rather always reproduce their habits than adapt to new paradigms, or use several at the same time, what is more complicated for sure.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:18 PM

Meetooman, I've learned from people on this forum like dftk. As this is the only thread that I recall reading your posts on, I haven't learned anything from you. You just come across like a jackass.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Meetooman, I've learned from people on this forum like dftk. As this is the only thread that I recall reading your posts on, I haven't learned anything from you. You just come across like a jackass.
You will find thousand of people that will respond to your original post saying that Cowon should be ashamed that they crippled the S9 international firmware and keep the best one for Asia, that Cowon is crap, that now you show us this limitation they will never consider Cowon again, etc. I'm sorry that ranting is not my way. I know that there must be technical reasons for this limitation. Once a feature disappears, it's probably to leave room for another.

I have no ego problem, I am not trying to lecture you with something I have invented because I am so smart. I wanted to trigger your awareness saying you could adopt the wise Plan-B leveraging what is already possible with your player to circumvent the issue. This only asks for a little flexibility and will to compromise. But the pursuit of this redundancy seems much more important for you.
Thank you, because I learn a lot from people like you. You don't want a solution, you want YOUR solution. Your original post should have been enough for me to understand your psychology and give you the answer that fit best. But I was fooled, thinking you could be a prisoner of a bad scheme looking for release...

So your hopes are that there is no hardware differences between S9 destined to different markets and that it will be possible for you to put the chinese/asian firmware on yours. Go and look for this solution.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetooman View Post
You will find thousand of people that will respond to your original post saying that Cowon should be ashamed that they crippled the S9 international firmware and keep the best one for Asia, that Cowon is crap, that now you show us this limitation they will never consider Cowon again, etc. I'm sorry that ranting is not my way. I know that there must be technical reasons for this limitation. Once a feature disappears, it's probably to leave room for another.

I have no ego problem, I am not trying to lecture you with something I have invented because I am so smart. I wanted to trigger your awareness saying you could adopt the wise Plan-B leveraging what is already possible with your player to circumvent the issue. This only asks for a little flexibility and will to compromise. But the pursuit of this redundancy seems much more important for you.
Thank you, because I learn a lot from people like you. You don't want a solution, you want YOUR solution. Your original post should have been enough for me to understand your psychology and give you the answer that fit best. But I was fooled, thinking you could be a prisoner of a bad scheme looking for release...

So your hopes are that there is no hardware differences between S9 destined to different markets and that it will be possible for you to put the chinese/asian firmware on yours. Go and look for this solution.
You don't come across as an "asshole" because you're trying to tell him that there's a better way than what he's doing. You're coming across as such because you make it sound like his solution is bad and that everyone should know that it is, and that what you're suggesting is the perfect and only solution to his problem. Whether or not that's what you intended, that's what it sounds like. Instead of addressing the real problem, which is the playlist limit, you decided to go after the way he organizes his music, which is not only subjective but will work for most people anyway.

Instead of getting so involved and essentially saying " you're doing it wrong" you could just say something more like "try this instead." You would probably be much more well-recieved that way.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaigoda View Post
Instead of getting so involved and essentially saying " you're doing it wrong" you could just say something more like "try this instead." You would probably be much more well-recieved that way.
The OP does not need to learn how to do differently. He didn't come asking how to do differently, and surely is not ready to do differently. When someone will not to listen to its device's messages, you know you are not likely to be listened either. I was pointing out that the "Cowon sense" always prevails...

Tags
limit, m3u, playlist