android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 11-12-2010, 07:14 AM

Default recommend an upgrade from the hippo vb please.

Im looking for an upgrade from the hippo vb. Something thats similair to the hippo vb but at the same time could be considered an upgrade.

Thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-12-2010, 07:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, you didn't give us any budget requirement, so.....
http://ultimateears.com/en-us/products/18-pro

http://www.jhaudio.com/promusic/

Old 11-12-2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Well, you didn't give us any budget requirement, so.....
http://ultimateears.com/en-us/products/18-pro

http://www.jhaudio.com/promusic/

hahaha touché , price budget approximately 150

Old 11-12-2010, 08:08 AM

You may want to look at the Panasonic RP-HJE900’s here or look at the spreadsheet here.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 11-12-2010, 09:33 AM

Senn IE8 are also dynamic driver based and have great SQ

Old 11-12-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupitreas View Post
Senn IE8 are also dynamic driver based and have great SQ
But above the 150 budget ...

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 11-12-2010, 10:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

@OP: What do you like/dislike about the Hippo VBs? They are awesome IEMs for bassheads, but still quiet good across the rest of the spectrum.

If you are looking for a more balanced, crisper, detailed sound, for sure consider the Panasonic HJE-900 - look for the big thread on them.

I got em both and love them both for different reasons. The VBs are what I turn to for those times I want a more thumping presentation. For normal music listening, the Panasonics are my daily go to choice. Awesome, those Panasonics to me...

cheers,
-les
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 11-13-2010, 05:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

lestatar, I am trying to decide between those two you mentioned. I have the s4 but the fit can be tricky to get the best sound. I am looking for some I can just stick in and go with. the panny looks a bit bulky with the detachable cables. how do they feel in your ears?

Old 11-13-2010, 07:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

hey IdvsEgo:

Not that this matters for ear/ear canal size, but I am around 5'11 and around 200lbs [yeah, yeah, working on that eventually]...

I need/seem to prefer the largest tips I can get my hands on. If Sony Hybrids came in XL, I would pretty much be in heaven.

I tell you all this because I have zero issues with comfort/bulkiness with the Panas. Some have indeed reported a bit of bulkiness, especially as related to the removable cable stem which enters the IEM housing. For me, I love the stem - actually, they brace very well against my lower ear lobes and so I have no probs at all with the comfort.

The cable is a bit short though if you put your DAPs in your back pocket as I do sometimes - for sure another foot or so would be perfect. I love the feel of the cable itself - it is satisfyingly thick and very much resists tangling. The slider is cool looking, but I don't use it at all. The brushed metal jack and plug ends are VERY cool looking.

The stock Pana tips are OK...meh, really. Do grab the Sony Hybrids as of the few replacement tips I have tried, I always come back and love the feel/fit of the Sonys. I have yet to try dfkt's fave Super.Fi tips though....

One more thing on the seal/insertion thing. I do notice that using the same Sony Hybrids on my Hippo VBs and the Panas, I do not get the same satisfying suction/seal from the Panas - the VBs seal great for me. I discovered why the other day - the nozzle stem on the VBs is a tad longer allowing for deeper insertion into my ear. The Pana nozzles are not quite as long and the rounded housing shape prevents a truly epic seal for me.

Still! The seal I can get is quite great. Yes, I do occasionally find myself pushing them in a bit deeper in place after an hour of listening, but the bass response is still excellent. Not in the VB class, but extremely fast, punchy deep and clear.

Back to the cables and fit/insertion. Some folks have mentioned the Sleek Audio cables with their right angle plugs fit them better. Something to consider. Also, some like to wear these using the cable-over-ear method - I still find this awkward and prefer standard straight down usage. Plus the cable is on the short side as I mentioned, so the over ear technique would make this issue worse for me.

Bottom line: I continue to love the Panas. Awesome IEMs at twice the price I paid [75USD]. And if you read my recent Hong Kong thread, the Panas compared very favorably to some uber expensive IEMs I was able to sample [though to be fair, the customs I sampled were universals and I didn't really listen to them for very long]. Still, I feel great that the Panas were not blown away by any other IEMs I tried that day.

So, really, the fit IMO will be primarily determined by the tips you choose to use. Who knows, maybe the default tips will fit you great. The Panas look as brand new as the day I bought them - the Zirconia material is indeed excellent.

I say these are a steal and continue to stand by that

hth,
-les
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 11-13-2010, 12:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

thanks...that helped give me more information but made my decision tougher. sigh...at least I dont think I will be unhappy with either set.

Old 11-13-2010, 05:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

ID: Really, I been trying to describe the Panas vs the VBs using silly car analogies. Its predominantly a question of the musical/sound presentation you are after. The VBs are just incredible bass IEMs - I still recall vividly the first few seconds I listened to them - I was blown away by how much bass there was, but still not sounding muddy like my once beloved CX300. Again, the cool thing about the VBs is that they are bass-centric, but you still get good mid/high clarity - plus they seem to take to EQ very well on all my DAPs.

So the VBs are like American muscle cars to me - think Mustangs, Camaros, Corvettes, Shelbys or Harley Davidson hogs/choppers. In your face sonically, but a helluva lotta fun. The interchangable plates of the VB work to a decent degree - but most opt for the 2 dot bass plate, which gives very satisfying big bass and still sounds great. The other plates are too extreme for me.

The Panas are smoother more refined all around. Again, still I find very great bass, fast, punchy and clear and the mids and highs are in my sweet spot for all the stuff I listen to. So the Panas are like BMWs, Mercedes, Jaguar or high end Honda touring motorcycles.

If you only can get one pair of IEMs, I say go for the Panas. If you want a fun pair that sounds great but has a very bass-centric presentation, look no further than the VBs.

About all I can say on this man - tough choice, eh? Do what I did - get em both! lol

cheers,
-les
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 11-13-2010, 08:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

don't tempt me. I seriously think I might get a set of VBs now and see if the price drops a little more on the pannys. I heard a rumor that they were already discontinued. I am sure they will just change model number or something though.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDvsEGO View Post
lestatar, I am trying to decide between those two you mentioned. I have the s4 but the fit can be tricky to get the best sound. I am looking for some I can just stick in and go with. the panny looks a bit bulky with the detachable cables. how do they feel in your ears?
The panas fit better than the VB since the former boasts a narrower body. As for the detachable cables, the stock ones are indeed bulky. But you can also purchase one of the sleek audio cables. They fit the panas perfectly, except are thinner, lighter, and more comfortable. I used the SA6 cable (right angle plug, but it worked very well for over the era use), or you could use the SA1 straight connector cable. More than one person has commented that the sa6 cable, by allowing for a deeper insertion and better seal, offers a de facto improvement in sound quality. (Through better fit however, not cable magic)

Still, if you truly want something to "stick in and go" without fiddling, than an over the ear design would be best.
Pulvis et umbra sumus.
-Horace

Old 11-15-2010, 07:15 AM

wow thanks everybody im overwhelmed by your responses! Your responses are like fucking essays hahah.

Anyway after reading all of your comments ive settled on the panas ive been following the pana thread for a while but I decided to post here to see if there were any alternatives. Because the problem with the panasonic hje900 retails for 89 in US only. I happen to live in the netherlands where not one online shop has the panasonic hje900's . Therefore i would have to order it from germany or england. The pana's are sold for EUR 145,08 in germany and im pretty sure the price si similair in the UK.

Thats basically why i wanted to see if i could get anything better for 150. Anyway does anybody have any idea how i could get the panasonic hje900s for cheaper in holland?

Old 11-15-2010, 09:57 AM
Ultra Senior Member

kt: you could make friends with someone in USA, pay them, have them ship to you...

I would consider this, but i am leaving for HK again in 5 days so not possible....

best I can tell you - the Pana prices in EU are stupid...
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 11-15-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
kt: you could make friends with someone in USA, pay them, have them ship to you...

I would consider this, but i am leaving for HK again in 5 days so not possible....

best I can tell you - the Pana prices in EU are stupid...
Too bad you're leaving for HK. But hey i really appreciate the fact that you would even consider doing that for me. Do you know any trustworthy people on this site who would consider doing this ?

anyway have fun in HK i remember when i was in HK i was 11 or something

Old 11-15-2010, 01:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I do...but won't mention them as that would be inappropriate for me to do so...

perhaps they will see this and ping you via PM...

why were you in HK? Are you Chinese?
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 11-15-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
I do...but won't mention them as that would be inappropriate for me to do so...

perhaps they will see this and ping you via PM...

why were you in HK? Are you Chinese?
Ok i fully understand i will just have to be patient then. We made a 2 week stop in HK because I had an aunt who lived there. We were in vietnam that summer (i am vietnamese).

what are you gonna do in HK?

Old 11-15-2010, 01:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

looking to start new life
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 11-15-2010, 01:37 PM

whoa sounds .. life changing lol