android
Old 07-01-2011, 10:10 AM

Default Brainwavz M2 Review

http://anythingbutipod.com/2011/07/brainwavz-m2-review/

Enjoy.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-01-2011, 11:21 AM

Interesting read, thanks for the review dfkt! I could imagine these as my next pair of IEMs if the panas won't be available when time comes.

Last edited by Urne; 07-02-2011 at 10:57 AM.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:26 AM

Anything for my bronies.

The biggest difference to the Panas is of course the treble. While the HJE are very forward, the M2 are quite recessed in comparison.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:31 AM

Glad to see another IEM quite worth of the money. Don't forget to update the spreadsheet! I'm curious to see where it places.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:08 PM

Done.

http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15243

I placed them below the VB for the sole reason that the VB are "special interest" ultra-basshead phones, and as such deserve a special place in my heart - and the list. In general the M2 are the more refined phones, with a broader overall appeal though - at least in my opinion.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:16 PM

Thanks for the review Martin, it's a good read.

I wholeheartedly recommend to review the Brainwavz M3 sometime in the future, they are more pricey than the M2s but seriously great IEM's.
Not bass-heavy by any means but with excellent mids and very pleasant and nicely extended highs. Relatively wide and deep soundstage with good instrument separation. Definitely not of the three blob variety.

I never thought I would like them as much as I do.

Last edited by razorblader; 07-01-2011 at 03:00 PM.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:55 PM

Nice review again!

I suspect that they (ProAlpha, M1/2/3) could be using the same drivers with housing, venting and a bit of tuning making the difference.

M2 is actually more bang for the buck than M3. M3 is certainly better (less bass quantity, slightly less forward mids, better treble, slightly better timbre), but at $90, it is competing against many other good IEMs in that price range. Instead, I'd recommend Xears TDIII v2 for review. At least, you'd have interesting things to say about it's build quality (or lack thereof)

PS: Or Spider Real voice - supposedly the "best under $200" these days....

Old 07-07-2011, 03:06 PM

Since my RE0 recently died (again! ) I bought those. Will be receiving them in some days. Hoping for the best

Old 07-07-2011, 03:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Congrats.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:36 AM

One word: Disappointed

But that's because I was used to the RE0 low profile bass. With the M2 everything sounds boomy and inside a box. Lets see how long will it take for my brain to adapt.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:26 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, I heard these tonight. Pretty much agree 100% with dfkt's review after my 15 minutes with these things. But not for me, as I do prefer a more up front top end [to overcome my oldish ears and to satisfy my natural leaning that way anyways].

@sovesky, these are fresh in my mind right now. I understand where you are coming from with the "boomy", "inside a box" comment as I kinda felt the same way. Not sure why.

But yeah, give 'em a bit of time.
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 08-18-2011, 07:45 AM

Default After two weeks

Not for me.
I guess I will consider this a base line for what the reviews mean in the various respects. I thought I was going to experience foward bass, not so.
the base is set too far back; if you like classical, jazz, blues, these things are great. Start to pump some A7X, Metallica, Manson through them and they just fall flat. (I'm assuming treble loss is taking a role here as well)

The fidelity is terrific, I can hear things in songs that I never heard before but, I'm not looking to hear the singer scratch his/her arm at the cost of range. Technically these are really good for the proce but as far as enjoying the music, not so much.

I am coming from Skull Candy Ink'd IEMs and while they are more muddied than the M2s, they blow the M2s away in bass and treble making my listening on the Ink'd more fun.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Skullcandy Ftw.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confispect View Post
Skullcandy Ftw.
lulz

Old 08-18-2011, 04:11 PM

Kind off the response I expected.

Oh well,

Old 08-18-2011, 07:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyMadison View Post
Kind off the response I expected.

Oh well,
Man, if you like 'em, power to you. They're just overpriced, IMO, and don't even look very good even though everyone thinks they're just sooooo coooool. I know that both sets of IEMs that I've owned now have blown any SkullCandies I've tried out of the water in quality of the sound. In the words of dfkt, I think it was, they're overpriced fart-cannons.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:10 AM

I don't know, they were 15 bucks so overpriced really doesn't play into it.
Anyway, I'm burning the M2s in. I read more feed back and everyone seems very happy with the bass so something has to be amiss.
I am also having a hard time accepting that a 15 dollar set could sound better than a 50 dollar set.

8hrs over night at bleed level and this morning I think they MAY sound a bit boomier. We'll see how it goes...

Old 08-19-2011, 07:49 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
making my listening on the Ink'd more fun.
that is all thats important. as long as you are satisfied with your purchase, who cares what others think. These are personal listening devices so what you choose to listen to has no impact on others.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
8hrs over night at bleed level and this morning I think they MAY sound a bit boomier. We'll see how it goes...
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDvsEGO View Post
that is all thats important. as long as you are satisfied with your purchase, who cares what others think. These are personal listening devices so what you choose to listen to has no impact on others.
^Exactly. And boomy is generally considered to be a negative trait, but if that is what you like it would actually explain why you might prefer $15 Skullcandy to the $50 Brainwavz. For what it is worth, you might want to consider something like the MEElectronics M31 as alternative to Skullcandy down the road. While they are bit pricey at the moment, I have seen them as low as $15 shipped on sale, which would make them better sounding (and better built), but still bass thumping alternative for the same price.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:52 AM
Ultra Senior Member

1+ (3)

There are definitively better alternatives the underlining foundation is you and only you but on the outside of it all I will always say upgrade which just reverts back to the foundation. If your satisfied with the sound then all be dammed. Also on your bass comment one of those Skull candies have extreme bass which I remember actually has some extension to it might actually go deeper then your M2.