android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 11-02-2010, 09:21 PM

Default Anyone tried out the Sony Ericsson HBH-IS800?

Any opinions on the sony ericsson HBH-IS800? or other recommendations for bluetooth headset? Looking for good sound quality and want to be able to run with the headset in.

Stereo: KEF iQ90's, KEF iQ60c, KEF iQ30's, 10" Velodyne

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-11-2010, 12:44 AM

Default I've got the hbh-is800 and an itouch

When it works it works great! After the first month my headphones became very intermittent. I called Sony and had to deal with some useless operators. They were telling me that because I was pairing it with a none Sony Erickson device that it was adding a significant strain to the headphones battery trying to stay connected.
Once I got a return authorization number I sent them in for a replacement. I did get the replacements but at my expense and I had to wait two weeks.
Also I have a tough time keeping the earphones in my ears, in spite of using the smallest rubber sleeves. I also have trouble with the stock ipod headphones. If you're the same than these might not be for you. I am curious if anyone else has had any power issues?
-R

Old 11-11-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawraw View Post
When it works it works great! After the first month my headphones became very intermittent. I called Sony and had to deal with some useless operators. They were telling me that because I was pairing it with a none Sony Erickson device that it was adding a significant strain to the headphones battery trying to stay connected.
Sounds like a load of BS Sony fed you, it uses the A2DP standard which is a standard lol... shouldn't cause anymore drain on the device if both devices support A2DP (iPod Touch uses A2DP)

Thanks for the info, just ordered these and hope they work out.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:45 PM

A friend of mine has them. They sound like your average Chinese $15 IEMs. Meaning, in the grand scheme of things they're awful, but they sure have a useful novelty form factor, great wireless usability.

If you want good-ish sound quality with a BT form-factor, get the Sony HBH-DS205 BT receiver (or a newer equivalent), and plug some decent phones into it. It's the least awful receiver I heard, here are my RMAA measurements: http://rmaa.elektrokrishna.com/Vario...20Receiver.htm

Old 11-12-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
A friend of mine has them. They sound like your average Chinese $15 IEMs. Meaning, in the grand scheme of things they're awful, but they sure have a useful novelty form factor, great wireless usability.

If you want good-ish sound quality with a BT form-factor, get the Sony HBH-DS205 BT receiver (or a newer equivalent), and plug some decent phones into it. It's the least awful receiver I heard, here are my RMAA measurements: http://rmaa.elektrokrishna.com/Vario...20Receiver.htm
Thanks for the info Dfkt. You have destroyed my hopes for the HBH-IS800 lol. They might still work out for me, not overly concerned with the SQ for the gym. I was just hoping they might sound like a $50 pair of IEMs not some horrid cheapos. Checked out the HBH-DS205 but it appears it has been discontinued might look into the Sony MW600 which appears to be a new version of the same product. I like the fact you can plug any pair of IEMs you want into this style of BT receiver but at the same time I wouldn't want a long cord getting in my way. I guess I could always make my own shortened cable for the Panasonics.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:04 AM

Well, the IS800 are better sounding than most stock earbuds, but probably not as good as something like, say, the JVC Marshmallows. That could indeed be enough for gym use. They are a bit big for IEMs (no wonder, all the tech and battery Sony managed to cram in there), but they did fit me well enough. Not sure how well they stay in place for physical activities, though.

The MW600 receiver should be good as well.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:24 AM

I've heard quite a few of these BT headsets and the only decent ones were the Sony and the Samsung SBH-900. The Samsung has standard micro-USB and built-in FM radio over the Sony, but on the downside it has touch controls. I use both with my short corded IE8 and SE530, and either of these combos sounds way better than the IS800.

I second dfkt's doubts about the IS800 staying in place during workout, you might wanna go for something like the Motorola S10 HD instead. Haven't heard these though.