android
Old 11-01-2010, 09:46 PM

Default Westone UM3X or Earsonics Sm3.

Hi

I just purchased the Samsung Galaxy S phone and want to get either the Westone UM3X or Earsonics Sm3.
Great Hi's/low/med/no thumping bass

Easy to drive

Good Soundstage.

Limited hiss or NO HISS preferred

My main choice of music is Classic Rock/The 80's.

Example/ When I list to pink Floyd.s Dark Side Of the moon I want to be impressed by the sound(Example)

Westone UM3X or Earsonics Sm3.

SAMSUNG GALAXY S VIBRANT Specs/.

Samsung will be using a 5-band parametric EQ for the Galaxy S phones as well as the Galaxy Touch PMPs. They also feature Hi-Fi 24-bit 4-channel DAC and 2-channel ADC, as well as 100dB SNR during stereo DAC playback (Class A weighted).
The Galaxy S comes with support for many multimedia file formats, including 2 lossless audio codecs, video codecs and video formats: Video codecs: mpeg4, H.264, H.263, Sorenson codec, DivX HD/ XviD. VC-1 Video formats: 3GP (MPEG-4). WMV (Advanced Systems Format), AVI (divx), MKV, FLV Audio: FLAC, WAV, Vorbis, MP3, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, WMA, AMR-NB, AMR-WB, MID, AC3, XM
Sound Quality Results/
TestFrequency responseNoise levelDynamic rangeTHDIMD + NoiseStereo crosstalk Samsung I9000 Galaxy S+0.03 -0.04-90.790.60.014 0.019-90.6

Based on all this info what do you think?

Would love to hear from people that have used the earphones and this phone.

Thanks

Greg

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-02-2010, 10:38 PM

I suggest getting a dedicated DAP first. Either of those phones are revealing, as such might reveal the galaxy s output to be not up to par

Both are easy to drive

What you want by good soundstage? Both of them are not very wide FYI

This is coming from a UM3X owner, haven't personally heard the SM3 yet

Old 11-06-2010, 12:26 AM

I concur with the above. I went through three or four smart phone trying to get the perfect match i.e. a camera/phone/pmp/gps/web browser. Palm, Windows, Black Berry and now Android it just does not exist. The biggest point you need to be aware of is that when you listen to music once you get a phone call your battery is often drained. Get the right tool for the right job. I have a cowon j3 and absolutely love it, hands down. As a point of reference I listen to gospel and R&B I also have and have given away an Ipod, Ipod touch, Sandisk Fuse and Clip+ (My 2nd favorite).
Now back to my vote. Westone UM1 or 2s . You’ll be a happy user as you go nodding you head down the road like one of those funky little boggle head dolls.

:edited:
I decided to jump up to the UM3x to go with my other player. I am so impressed with weston as I stepped on my UM1s and broke the tips. Emailed Weston and they replaced for shipping cost. I love the twisted wires and how invisible the phones are while resting in your ear. Clear yet full of power plus they're made in the USA...we support our own "My latest kick". So since they supported me and I was in the market for anther set. I jumped on another set and got the UM3x and gave my Sennheiser go to the kid.
Here is a great link that will tell you everything you need to know from users of the UM3x...
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/...on-thread/3390

Last edited by g.711; 11-12-2010 at 09:19 PM.