android
Old 10-31-2010, 09:05 PM

Default More and more bricking R1

From august/september I saw lot of people get the same problem with recently bought R1: a complete block when showing the R1 screen, and no one of the known method to reset the R1 seems to work (push reset button, discharge the battery, upgrade the firmware). What's going on? Has samsung sold to Italy a bad batch? Or is a more large (europe or also worldwide) problem?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-01-2010, 05:17 AM
Samsung Moderator

Seems to be an issue with the bootloader. Actually Samsung updated the R1 bootloader some months ago. That *might* explain why only new users have this problem. But personly I don't have any problem with mine (I have an old R1 with the new bootloader)...
I did not see other people complaining about that here or on gmp3.

It's probably just a software issue that may be fixed with the recovery tool so those people just have to send their R1 back to Samsung Italy.

Last edited by lebellium; 11-01-2010 at 05:39 AM.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:35 AM

Default Ahh the joys of more and more bricking my R1

I agree with ||dav1de||. I am now on my 7th YP-R1 player in 3 months. As always it appears to be the "Recovering Firmware" issue. They appear to work fine for a short period of time and then fall over. The last 4 players (over the last 4 days) lasted all of 30 mins while I was configuring (Upgrade FW v3.07 and Format) them and then transferring my music across. It always happens when the DB updates and gets to 2 - 4% then switches off. When you switch it back on it begins the "Recovering Firmware" loop. I have found that if you hold the Power Button and then use the Reset Button, WinXP will pick up the player as a new device called "SE Blank MARLEY". (No drivers under this name exist when Googled, Only 1000 hits for Bob Marley) Today I am posting my player back to Repair Tech here in the UK. Hopefully they have better luck with it than I have. If not then its back to the shop for a cash refund.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:50 AM
Samsung Moderator

Hmm
You must be very unlucky. 7 R1 in 3 months Oo
I have 2 R1 and I never managed to brick them...

"Recovery Firmware" means you have the old bootloader. This message has been replaced by "loading" with the new bootloader. The problem is you cannot update the bootloader yourself. The Recovery Tool is required.

To reduce the risk of bricking your R1:
1) Make sure you use the MSC mode
2) Don't transfer several GB of data in one go.

In pressing reset and the power button, you entered the recovery mode. But that's useless since you don't have the recovery tool and the drivers.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
Seems to be an issue with the bootloader. Actually Samsung updated the R1 bootloader some months ago. That *might* explain why only new users have this problem. But personly I don't have any problem with mine (I have an old R1 with the new bootloader)...
I did not see other people complaining about that here or on gmp3.

It's probably just a software issue that may be fixed with the recovery tool so those people just have to send their R1 back to Samsung Italy.
Hmmm..so samsung changed something on R1 (I thought that maybe changed the flash memory or something like that). But why they did it? Has old bootloader some problem? There's a way to understand which of the two bootloader is present?

Old 11-01-2010, 07:55 AM
Samsung Moderator

They might have changed some hardware components. That would be normal. During the production process, a firm often changes some pieces for quality and/or cost reasons.

I don't know why they changed the bootloader. Maybe they were fed up with the "recovery firmware" message.^^ Or maybe there was effectively an issue.

Normally all new R1 should have the new bootloader but according to what dhtml7 said, that's not the case.

I just told you how to make the difference between the old and the new bootloader: When you press reset, if the R1 displays "recovering firmware" when you reboot, that means you have the old bootloader, if the R1 displays "loading", that means you have the new bootloader.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:00 AM

Default Boot Loader

Thanks for that. It wold appear that the entire batch I have nearly gone through from the shop has the old boot loader. I also loaded up a few files at a time so as not to overload the system. If it can handle a 1.5 GIG AVI file without crashing, why can it not handle a few mp3's totaling no more than 0.5 GIG. It will be a lot easier to send it to SAMSUNG to get the new Boot Loader than replacing it with another player. Looks like the batch from the shop was shipped with the old files. It would be nice to have the recovery tool as I work in IT and deal with problems like these on a daily basis where I work. Also my patience is wearing a bit thin with this model. It would be nice if it could last longer than before.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:09 AM

Default Samsung Support

I almost forgot to say that I found SAMSUNG Help Desk / Support Desk completely useless.

Option 1: We cant fix it and take it back to the shop to get it swapped or refunded.

Option 2: Send it off to Repair Tech.

At least I can let Reapir Tech know what the fault is and get it unlocked and the Boot Loader replaced.

Why didn't SAMSUNG do a recall on the product or supply a fix that could be downloaded and uploaded to the player.

They would'nt be the first company to do that.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:21 AM
Samsung Moderator

Actually I just guess that may be an issue with the bootloader, I'm not sure that is the reason. On the R0 the library update issue is due to the firmware, not to the bootloader so...

" It would be nice to have the recovery tool as I work in IT and deal with problems like these on a daily basis where I work."
> Indeed that would be great if Samsung released their recovery tools as Creative do for instance. But Samsung doesn't allow to share them, and they are currently too unstable and dangerous to be available for anybody.

And if Samsung replaced your R1s instead of unbricking them, that probably means they don't have the recovery tool, even less the appropriate version that may update the bootloader (I know, that's a complex story...)

"Why didn't SAMSUNG do a recall on the product"> Because there is no proof this is a common major defect on this model contrary to the R0
"or supply a fix that could be downloaded and uploaded to the player."> Because this is technically impossible.

Last edited by lebellium; 11-01-2010 at 09:40 AM.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:13 AM

Default Systems Log

One last thing. All 7 of these players had there final factory test according to the History Log on 2009/08/29. All came loaded with FW

VER 1.09 EU 00
MODEL YP-R1
DRM JA.NE

That makes them a year old by the time they leave the factory, get shipped and stored on the shelf before purchase.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:19 AM
Samsung Moderator

Hum interesting.

1) That's not good for the battery to be stored almost 1 year without being used. I don't understand why the shop did not manage to sell them before.
2) The bootloader has been changed on the new R1 devices since firmware 1.15 only.
Maybe your R1s did not appreciate to be upgraded from the 1st firmware available (1.09) to the latest one (3.07) with the old bootloader.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:27 AM

Only option would be to upgrade the FW one at a time but that would defeat the purose as I presumme the latest FW has all the changes incorporated from all the previous FW changes. Any way it's going in the post to Repair Tech when they send me all the jiffy bag and instructions to post it to them.

I don'y understand why they have'nt sold out especially when they are selling for 49:99. A very keen price for the player. (T.J.Hughes instore only)

Old 11-01-2010, 10:35 AM
Samsung Moderator

Indeed, the latest FW has all the changes incorporated from all the previous FW changes

I also think the best you can do now is to send it to the Repair Tech.
Please come back here when it gets repaired and let us know what they did.

And if unfortunately it gets bricked a 8th time after that, just contact me. We'll see together what I can do for you to avoid throwing it away or sending it back to Samsung again. But that must remain a solution as a last resort, I insist on that

Old 11-01-2010, 10:59 AM

Will do and many thanks in advance. Just a waiting game now for the next 2 weeks.

Old 11-04-2010, 01:39 PM

Default Samsung Support

I phoned Repair Tech tonight asking why I had not recieved there Free Post jiffy bag and instruction for the repair of my YP-R1. Repair Tech are still waiting to be contacted by Samsung and recommended that I give them a call. After finally getting through to there support I was informed that they are still waiting for proof of purchase from myself. This is very interesting as they did not ask for it when I reported the fault. All I was told was to post my player to Free Post Repair Tech UK with a copy of my proof of purchase. When asked the date of purchase I told them 29/10/2010. I also told them that although I purchased it on this date, infact the player was manufactured over 14 months ago and was running old FW and Boot Loader. Interesting that I could tell there service agent more information about there product than they could tell me.

So for anyone in the UK who has to return SAMSUNG MP3 for repair, this is the process you have to go through.

1. If within 28 days of purchase, return to the shop for a replacement or refund as recommended by SAMSUNG customer support.

2. Phone SAMSUNG customer support to log your fault your details and make sure you get a REF: Number.

3. Make sure to read the REF: Number back to the service agent and it is correct. (unfortunatley they were not gifted with brain)

4. Either E-Mail, FAX or POST your proof of purchase to SAMSUNG including the REF: Number that they will given you.

5. Now you have to wait.

6. SAMSUNG on reciept of your proof of purchase should have sent the REF: Number to REPAIR TECH who on reciept will send you a jiffy bag and instruction on how to send them your product. Under no circumstances do you post them your product as SAMSUNG recommend as REPAIR TECH informed me that it will sit on a shelf until they get a REF: Number for SAMSUNG. (Chances are as they said it will get lost.)

7. Then hopefully 2-3 weeks you should have a repaired MP3 Player.

Well tomorrow I will take my player back for a refund as the shop I purchased it from (T.J.Hughes) stock is all over 14 months old. I am no longer interested in getting another YP-R1 as I would be constantly wondering if it would last longer than 6mins, 6 hours, 6 days or 6 weeks. Unfortunatly there are no other shops I can find locally that sell this product fo the keen price of 49:99. All I can say is thank god I did not pay over 100 for it at XMAS last year when they first came out.

If anyone has the same problem I wish you well with dealling with SAMSUNG.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:46 AM

I got my first one last Christmas for 100. Broke within a week, then I got it replaced, and it broke again. Got it replaced again and it broke. Then finally I sent it of to get rebooted and it broke within a day of coming back. I gave up and now it's sitting gathering dust, while I'm using my Sansa Clip which I have had for about 6 months without any problems.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:38 PM

It goes on...on hwupgrade there are new examples of R1 that brick during "Library update" I'd say that samsung should put on the R1 the same bugfix that is putting on the R0, otherwise more problem=less happy customer=more new customer for other brands (at the moment, even if my R1 works fine I'm not so sure that my next mp4 player will be a samsung one).

Old 11-15-2010, 04:00 PM
Samsung Moderator

I managed to brick my R0 and my R1 with the same files (sent by spedax).
I'm currently working with Samsung to fix this issue.

But there may be different causes for the library update error so please tell your friends on hwupgrade to send me their files.

It's useless to just complain on webforums. Samsung does not necessarily read this forum. The only way to get rid of those issues is to send me the files. If I can reproduce the bug and brick my R1, then the Samsung R&D may find the cause and fix the issue in a next firmware.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:04 PM

Good news that you bricked also your R1. I know that you need the files and I'm waiting to see if I convinced the last user.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:10 PM
Samsung Moderator

Alright!
Thank you for your efforts
Don't forget to tell them I also need as much information as possible (firmware, MSC or MTP etc etc)