android
Old 01-26-2011, 01:15 PM
Samsung Moderator

Default Firmware 1.24 for R0

Finally a new firmware has been released.
Unfortunately it doesn't fix all known bugs. Indeed, December was a special month, impossible to get in touch with my contact at Samsung Korea (holidays, out of office for other reasons etc...) so the R&D was probably not aware of all my requests when they developed this firmware.

Download firmware 1.24

Improvements:
-Improve reliability of library update
-System stabilization
-Fix this bug: myDNSe settings lost in sleep mode

Not fixed (yet?):
-Updating library manually in the settings still crash on my R0
-Issues with safe disconnection on Windows Vista and 7
-Issue in Text viewer in Russian language (words are cut at the end of lines)
-When selecting Datacasts icon while there are no datacasts on the R0, it displays 2x the word “EmoDio” in French and Italian languages
-Crash with a specific FLAC file (from 9000blackbird)

How to upgrade firmware: Download the firmware, extract the archive, put the R0.ROM file at the root of your player (the root is where all main folders are: music, video, system, pictures etc...), disconnect the player. Turn it on, it will automatically upgrade the firmware. You can check the firmware version in settings>system>about.

Last edited by lebellium; 02-02-2011 at 06:12 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-28-2011, 12:13 PM

Default THX

Thank You,Lebellium

Old 01-29-2011, 09:30 AM

Thanks!

I've tested the new firmware and it quite faster

I noticed some bugs (these are really little bugs, but we want perfection isn't it? )

- Text percentage (top of the screen) isn't updated if you change font size
- Strange list index issues in the folder "Recently Added": if you surf one of the subdir and you go back...well it's all screwed up!
- Font selection isn't available in Italian and in the other languages except English (no problem for me, I set English instead of Italian). Fonts work with non-english characters too (so this is not the problem).
- (?Bug?) If you never started a video, it shows 00:00 in the video menu. If you stopped it, it shows the time where you ended playback. It should be something like that: duration (and if played and stopped duration - time)
- I've turned on the player now after 1-2 hours sleep. The list showed "Most played" as a file and with it's unknown icon. I have the suspect that there are new bugs regarding object list indexing.

Hope it helps

Old 01-29-2011, 09:43 AM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenz092 View Post
(these are really little bugs, but we want perfection isn't it? )
You shouldn't expect perfection from Samsung...

Quote:
- Text percentage (top of the screen) isn't updated if you change font size
- Strange list index issues in the folder "Recently Added": if you surf one of the subdir and you go back...well it's all screwed up!
- Font selection isn't available in Italian and in the other languages except English (no problem for me, I set English instead of Italian). Fonts work with non-english characters too (so this is not the problem).
- (?Bug?) If you never started a video, it shows 00:00 in the video menu. If you stopped it, it shows the time where you ended playback. It should be something like that: duration (and if played and stopped duration - time)
- I've turned on the player now after 1-2 hours sleep. The list showed "Most played" as a file and with it's unknown icon. I have the suspect that there are new bugs regarding object list indexing.

Hope it helps
-Very minor bug indeed
-I did not understand
-As I already said thousand times here, this is not considered as a bug. It's a stupid choice from Samsung to only have different fonts in English and Korean languages and has been improved on the new Q3. I also set my R0 in English for this reason. I can't stand the default font.
-Why not, but won't be changed lol
-I can't reproduce that bug

Old 01-30-2011, 07:33 AM

For the "Recently added bug" do this:

- Open the Recently added menu
- Go to a folder of your choice (I mean a date...)
- Go back and see what happens...

Old 01-30-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
For the "Recently added bug" do this...
Cannot reproduce this. But I'm certain all the tracks in the list are still in the R0, so maybe it could misbehave if the tracks in the recent list are no longer there.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
For the "Recently added bug" do this:

- Open the Recently added menu
- Go to a folder of your choice (I mean a date...)
- Go back and see what happens...

Can't reproduce this. Overall navigation seems much quicker
Thank you Lebellium

Old 02-01-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knarf View Post
bug:
If I click very fast (nearly 2 or 3 times per second) on left or right button (previous or next radio station) then sometimes the displayed FM frequency doesn't change! The station (which I can hear) has changed! But not the displayed frequency!

see:

regards
Frank
This problem exists further! (Also with firmware 1.24!)

Old 02-01-2011, 12:48 PM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
And will always exist as Samsung is not aware of it

Old 02-01-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
And will always exist as Samsung is not aware of it
That's right!
But I can't see any problem there!

Who is the person which forwards the problems and bugs from this forum to the manufacturer Samsung? I think that's you! Because your forum title is "Samsung Moderator"! And normally it's also the task of the moderators/administrators to stay in contact with the developer(s)!

I hope this bug will fixed in one the next versions!

Old 02-01-2011, 01:41 PM
Samsung Moderator

lol I hope you're joking (very very serioulsy joking otherwise I could become very nasty)...

This job is not official, I'm not paid for it, it requires hours and hours of...my free-time.
As far as I know, being Moderator/admin doesn't oblige to stay in contact with developers, where did you see that?!

You can't imagine how difficult is my position, I'm both in Samsung and customers side so it was not really easy to enjoy Samsung's confidence...

Moreover, if you read our forums more carefully you would know my contact at Samsung Korea has not replied to me for about 2 months. I don't know the reason and as I'm not a Samsung employee he is in no way obliged to reply to me. So I stopped to report bugs for the R0/R1 until I get a reply for the previous reported bugs early December.
And you would also know the R0 is an old product and most likely fw 1.24 is one of the last (if not the last) firmware.

Lastly, regarding your post, you can be sure now that I will never report this bug.

You expect a bug to be fixed although nobody promised you it would be fixed AND you reproach me for not doing my job (but what's job? I'm still a student...). No, seriously, is it a dream?

Last edited by lebellium; 02-01-2011 at 01:55 PM.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:27 PM

Lebellium, I for one am enomously grateful for the work you do communicating between the users and Samsung. Without your intervention many bugs would probably have never been fixed.
Quote:
I'm both in Samsung and customers side so it was not really easy to enjoy Samsung's confidence...
Anyway I can't understand why Samsung would be "against" customers. We paid our money and just want something that works I don't think that's unreasonable. It has already been said but it's frustrating the amount of bugs the R0 had and still has...I just want something like my old YP-Z5 which was perfect to me.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
And normally it's also the task of the moderators/administrators to stay in contact with the developer(s)!
Surely you jest, if that is not the case, you are incorrect.
Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677

Old 02-01-2011, 06:22 PM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampiti View Post
Anyway I can't understand why Samsung would be "against" customers. We paid our money and just want something that works I don't think that's unreasonable. It has already been said but it's frustrating the amount of bugs the R0 had and still has...I just want something like my old YP-Z5 which was perfect to me.
I totally agree with you, it's normal you expect a product to work well when you pay for it. Unfortunately times have changed. The YP-Z5 was supposed to be a serious competitor to the iPod Nano and the firmware has not been developed by Samsung but by Paul Mercer, a former Apple software engineer. Now Samsung is not as ambitious anymore and doesn't try to make a perfect product with the R0. And as any brand they do not really like when customers start to complain about bugs because that means they loose time and money (they have to pay engineers to fix the bugs whereas those engineers could work on a new project instead). That's why I think almost any brand is "against" its customers in a certain way!

But overall I can't accept people expect from me to solve all their issues just because I'm 'Samsung Moderator' and have contacts at Samsung whereas it's not a paid job but only a free voluntary service depending on the cooperation of Samsung.
It's up to Samsung to assume their incompetence. If they were more conscientious they would read the forums as Cowon does or/and they would set up an official way for customers to report the numerous bugs and so I would have more free-time to drink beers (^^)

Meanwhile I know I'm a privileged way for the Samsung community to report bugs but people should remind I don't work for Samsung so I'm not as influential on the R&D as a Samsung Senior Manager would be for example....Samsung Korea seems to be fed up with all my bugs reports (I have been reporting bugs on the R0 for more than a year now, you can't imagine how many emails I exchanged with Samsung just for this device) and seems to want to stop the firmware support for the R0 so I can't do much against that...

But I swear you if one day I become Samsung CEO, this brand will get closer to its customers than any other brand

Last edited by lebellium; 02-01-2011 at 07:02 PM.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:09 PM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

Quote:
That's right!
But I can't see any problem there!

Who is the person which forwards the problems and bugs from this forum to the manufacturer Samsung? I think that's you! Because your forum title is "Samsung Moderator"! And normally it's also the task of the moderators/administrators to stay in contact with the developer(s)!
I'll try to give you a civil response. Basically, we can't act on your behalf to forward bugs to these companies for a few reasons. First, we don't work for them. In fact, we are volunteers on this website which isn't affiliated with any of the companies that we post about.

Secondly, if the bug is legitimate, they'll want testing and the ability to reproduce the issue. They need to speak with the person experiencing the bug, not a middleman.

Lastly, not all of us have contacts with these companies, so our only option would be to go through customer service for that company. See the last sentence for the issue with that.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medion View Post
I'll try to give you a civil response. Basically, we can't act on your behalf to forward bugs to these companies for a few reasons. First, we don't work for them. In fact, we are volunteers on this website which isn't affiliated with any of the companies that we post about.

Secondly, if the bug is legitimate, they'll want testing and the ability to reproduce the issue. They need to speak with the person experiencing the bug, not a middleman.

Lastly, not all of us have contacts with these companies, so our only option would be to go through customer service for that company. See the last sentence for the issue with that.
....yes! But I don't understand why they shouldn't release the whole sources for this firmware and not only the linux kernel/drivers. I know they spent time and $$$, but now the player has more than a year of life.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:07 AM

hi lebellium, hi all! i just checked by in that forum again since long time. was happy with the 1.22 so far (at least it didnt brick my r0 anymore!). but what i read in here about 1.23 and 1.24 is disappointing... seems fixing one bug, adding a few others is typical for samsung and will never change. i was a big fan of their innovative products the last 2 years and bought a jet S-8000 mobile phone and an expensive 3D LED television from samsung. know what? also those products have so many bugs that never have and will be solved because of the ignorance of the support (sending bug reports, getting no answer or standard answers not answering the question) and incompetence of the programmers in korea. i have learnd one thing: NEVER SAMSUNG AGAIN!!!

Old 02-24-2011, 04:14 AM
Samsung Moderator

And I guess this policy won't change in close future unfortunately

But regarding the R0 firmwares, as far as I know fw 1.23 and 1.24 don't add bugs compared to 1.22. They only fix bugs that were not fixed in fw 1.22.
And a new (last?) firmware should be released sooner or later.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:28 AM
Samsung Moderator

Good news (at least I guess): normally I will beta-test the next (and probably last) firmware before its final release. This is in order to give you the most stable final version as possible and to make sure the bugs I reported are really fixed.

I think that's a good decision from Samsung

Old 03-02-2011, 07:56 AM

perhaps it's too late for the last FW but on my 1.22 fw I've noticed that with Variable Bitrate files the song ends previously than expected: so there is a cut of till 10 seconds at the end compared with the same file played on pc.
anyone noticed the same bug??

lebellium if you want I can send you these files

Last edited by artic; 03-04-2011 at 07:23 AM.

Tags
1.24, firmware, r0, samsung, yepp, yp-r0