android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 10-30-2010, 01:21 PM

Default I have... weird ears! Help me! (earphone fitting problems)

I have weird ears.

So yeah.

Every time I buy a new pair of earphones, I have serious fitting problems with them no matter what kind they are.

The default medium silicone tips on almost everything never seem to seal properly, which makes the small tips a total non-starter. No seal, no bass. The large silicone tips seal great... (maybe too well, as bass seems to be inflated with them) but they seriously hurt to wear.

Non-standard tips I have just as much problem with. Silicone bi-flanges typically don't seal well at all unless I shove them in so far they hurt, and then only the left ear seals worth a damn.

Foams I have better luck with, but still... the problem persists. Large Complys are too fat and hurt. Medium Complys will seal, but getting the seal is quite an ordeal.

The only earphones I've ever had no problems with seals were Etymotic brands (ER-6i, ER-4P and hf5 all had no sealing problems) using medium Shure black foams, and I think it's because Etys seat very deeply.

My shiny new-to-me Galaxy S needed a decent headset, and Amazon had the Ultimate Ears super.fi 5vi for sale ($65!!!). I snapped them up, and while I quite like the sound of them (very similar to hf5, but more balanced) the seal and isolation is a problem.

Seal is hard to maintain with medium Comply foams. I have to keep fiddling with them all the time. Sudden movement or a yawn can break the seal. Isolation is really, really terrible--way worse than Etys with Shure olives.

So I wonder, WTF am I supposed to do?

Earphone makers seriously need to make a size between medium and large.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-30-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
... So I wonder, WTF am I supposed to do?
When you find the right iem, you may want to consider custom tips for your ears or go all the way and get custom shells. A company like Sensaphonics makes custom sleeves that should be a perfect fit to your ears, there are other companies too ... On the second note a company like UniqueMelody makes custom shells and will put the drivers from your favorite iem's into them, also there is Fisher Hearing. If you go the custom shell route, the issolation is great and the fit is as good as you have your impressions made ...

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 10-31-2010, 12:26 PM

Well, I've managed to figure out the difference in shape between the SF5vi and the RE2s I was using before, and now they seal... but due to the weirdness of my right ear, the right ear's seal is rather tenuous and sometimes it makes a creaking "bare butt against a vinyl couch" noise lmao...

I really wish UE would have put the mic lower on the cable. Over the ear means the mic is behind my jaw... =/

I should really just invest in customs. Wonder if anyone makes customs with the send/end/play/pause button and the mic?