android
Old 10-29-2010, 04:13 PM

Default Sleek Audio W1 Wireless on Panasonic RP-HJE900's

My initial impressions of the Sleek Audio W1 Wireless system used on the Panasonic RP-HJE900 aren't all that flattering...

First off and not by any fault of Sleek Audio I noticed that the Sleek Audio connectors are about 1/16" shorter than the Panasonic connectors. Secondly, instantly when I turned the device on I could hear static coming across the line. I turned on some music in hopes that the static would disappear and so it seemed at first. Adjusting the volume levels on my iPod Touch revealed the static again, at about half volume or higher I don't notice the static a little below half volume is when the static becomes noticeable. This might be quite a large problem for many people wanting to listen to music at lower volumes. The static can also be heard at higher volumes if the particular song you are listening to gets quite. The slightly shorter plug might have something to do with the static but honestly I do not believe so. Also it seems (although not positive) like the audio is a little quieter at the same volume levels using the W1 then when the Panasonics are plugged directly into the source. Charge time is roughly 2-3 hours and produces 10 hours of playback.

The W1 Wireless system isn't all bad though. Leaving the iPod in the bedroom and walking to the living room ~40ft. away I don't notice any degradation in the audio quality then when i'm only 2ft. away. Even with the static present the sound reproduction is actually quite good. The W1 also allows you to connect up to 4 receivers off of a single transmitter so that you and 3 others can all enjoy the same music at up to 70ft. away.

If you don't mind a little static at lower volumes and want the freedom of going wireless with your Panasonic RP-HJE900 or Sleek Audio earphones at the cost of $120 look no further.

Sorry about the not so great photo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SleekW1.JPG (88.6 KB, 51 views)

Stereo: KEF iQ90's, KEF iQ60c, KEF iQ30's, 10" Velodyne

Last edited by Spk282; 10-30-2010 at 04:39 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-29-2010, 10:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hey spk282: Thanks a ton for the impressions. I am simultaneously intrigued and concerned [by the static as knowing myself, this would be a deal killer]. Please do continue to post your impressions over the next few days/week.

Also, couple questions:
- How do you charge the transmitter/receiver?
- Is the receiver necklace uncomfortable to wear? Does it stay balanced? I assume it goes around the back of your neck?
- Can I wear the Panas with the receiver with the IEMs in standard downward position [not over ear]?
- Where did you get the Sleek Audio wireless system? When I last peeked at it, it was priced much higher than 120USD.

Thanks again man,
-les
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 10-30-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
- How do you charge the transmitter/receiver?
Both the transmitter and the receiver charge via a USB cable that is split on one end to two mini USB cables, annoying note about the charging is you have to power on the devices for them to charge.

Quote:
- Is the receiver necklace uncomfortable to wear?
It's not as bad as you would think but you will certainly notice it

Quote:
Does it stay balanced? I assume it goes around the back of your neck?
It stays balanced quite well and right next to the receiver you can cinch up the cable to remove slack if it seems a little to loose. Yes the receiver goes around the back of your neck.

Quote:
- Can I wear the Panas with the receiver with the IEMs in standard downward position [not over ear]?
Yes, this is how I have been wearing them. Wearing the IEM's over ear would be a bit difficult.

Quote:
- Where did you get the Sleek Audio wireless system? When I last peeked at it, it was priced much higher than 120USD.
I picked mine up from Amazon but B&H Photo has them for the same price as well.

Old 10-30-2010, 03:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanks a ton man...

I will continue to look for your impressions as the days go by. Please do keep us posted
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 10-30-2010, 04:32 PM

Hm, does this mean you're interested in going wireless lestatar?
Pulvis et umbra sumus.
-Horace

Old 10-30-2010, 10:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hey JxK: I am considering it - have been for a while. I play a lot of pool and while I generally don't have problems with the IEM cord during play, a wireless solution would be clearly an improvement. But not so much if there are audio problems.

In truth this was 1 small factor in my decision to purchase the Panas - dfkt had mentioned this same SleekAudio wireless system a while back, but I seem to recall that the price I saw at that time was double what spk282 got em for, so I was less interested.

For around 120USD, with acceptable sound quality, my interest could be renewed
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 10-31-2010, 12:09 AM

Here are some more review for you then, if you're interested.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/S...udio/Wireless/
http://www.trustedreviews.com/video/...dphone-Adapter

The second is a short video review, and actually gives you a good idea of the size of the W1 unit, and how it fits onto one's head.
Pulvis et umbra sumus.
-Horace

Old 11-01-2010, 06:36 PM

How does the HJE900+ W-1 Unit Compare to the

1 - Sleek audio Sa6 +W-1
2 - Stock HJE900's?

Old 11-04-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMan View Post
How does the HJE900+ W-1 Unit Compare to the

1 - Sleek audio Sa6 +W-1
2 - Stock HJE900's?
No idea, don't have a pair of Sleek Audio SA6's and I think at this point if I were going to pick up a pair of Sleek's it would be there new SA7.

But as for the Sleek Audio W1 Wireless I think I will try and sell it for $100 on ebay. For my needs a decent Bluetooth headset will work for me with my iPod Touch. This set in particular has caught my eye http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A1KED7QPKDBUQ7

Old 11-04-2010, 09:47 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Spk282: Well, what can I say except thank you for your honest impressions on this system. And thanks also to JxK for the links.

I am still on the fence - however, for a relatively low price of 120USD I might be tempted to give this thing a shot myself and come to my own conclusions.

...but it ain't looking too good...

thanks again man,
-les
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 11-04-2010, 08:40 PM

It wasn't the static that bothered me, just the receiver when jogging will start to catch and end up breaking the seal between the IEM and your ear. If I weren't going to be using the SA W-1 for strenuous activities it would work out fine for me. I didn't find the sound quality changed all that much with the W-1 just the presence of static which in every wireless solution I have tried out is always present. Going to order the Sony Ericsson HBH-IS800 which have a very minimalistic Bluetooth receiver on them and hope it resolves my issue.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:52 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Huh...ok...great info spk282...much appreciated
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 12-06-2010, 05:58 PM

That is a curious statement about wearing them in the downward position. I wear them over the ear because it seems so much more natural. The right angle of the plug seems to be custom tailored for over the ear. Besides that, over the ear is the only way I seem to be able to keep a nice insertion and consistent fit. Ill take pics if you are interested in how Im wearing them.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:12 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudohippy View Post
That is a curious statement about wearing them in the downward position. I wear them over the ear because it seems so much more natural. The right angle of the plug seems to be custom tailored for over the ear. Besides that, over the ear is the only way I seem to be able to keep a nice insertion and consistent fit. Ill take pics if you are interested in how Im wearing them.
lol..."You talkin' to me??!?!?!"

I just cannot wear IEMs in the over-ear position - for no other reason than it feels so unnatural to me.

So, for me, the Panas, with their stock long metal stem is actually perfect - the stems act as kind of a brace against my outer ears. I am comfortable with this and anything else is odd...

6billion people on earth: bound to happen

cheers,
-les
A Glossary for Newbies