android
Old 11-13-2011, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenz092 View Post
I tried a .mpg video file and works perfectly.
For rockboy I don't know. Maybe there are (as other parts of RB) lots of optimizations to be enabled (arm asm code).
For doom, yes. I still didn't debug it. There should be a problem somewhere in the plugin or so...

As always thanks for your feedbacks: they are really important.
I hope this afternoon to have some time to work on rockbox too
Yeah now i read that it needs to be converted to mpg, and my first file was in wmv. Just tried mpg and it works perfectly, thanks.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-13-2011, 07:37 AM

..another problem i'm having is launching RB - 9 times out of ten R0 loads instead..?

I get the impression when i power on that it's only returning from standby mode instead.. i normally switch it off and on by holding the power button until something happens.. am i only putting it into standby mode, like a 'soft' reset? If so how do i guarantee a hard reset (power down and restart) for loading RB?

Old 11-13-2011, 07:40 AM
Samsung Moderator

That has already been answered in the previous page. Please read the previous posts of this thread before asking a question
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...&postcount=351

Old 11-13-2011, 08:25 AM

Can I make the Database menu in another language, I tried to do a Russian language, but instead of letters appeared squares ...

Old 11-13-2011, 08:44 AM

...and not a port fault but playlist editing is utterly unfathomable! I'd hoped, given RB's provenance and ostensible raison d'étre, that playlist editing would be as intuitive and self-explanatory as possible.. my problem with R0's playlist editor is its lack of functionality, and it's the main feature i'd hoped RB would remedy. All i want to do is build up a new playlist one track at a time, just adding selected tracks sequentially from multiple paths, but after many hours fiddling i'm no wiser. I can find and play files from teh File browser but the context menu takes me to a text editor, apprently to edit or confirm a playlist filename... and that's as far as i can get; from there i can only cancel back to the Filebrowser or WPS. Seems i can't create a new playlist in order to start adding tunes to it? Where am i going wrong?

Old 11-13-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
That has already been answered in the previous page. Please read the previous posts of this thread before asking a question
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...&postcount=351
uh ok, sorry missed that one, thanks..

Old 11-13-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
Some pics about what you'll get soon *hopefully* on your R0

My R0 theme

Rockboy !!!
(on the pics the screen size is scaled without maintaining the ratio but it's possible to maintain the ratio and even rotate the screen!)

Mario Tennis powaa

The Legend of Zelda, Oracle of Ages

Super Mario Land

edit Mario Tennis:
Can we download and use these plug-ins?

Old 11-13-2011, 09:28 AM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVibrating View Post
...and not a port fault but playlist editing is utterly unfathomable! I'd hoped, given RB's provenance and ostensible raison d'étre, that playlist editing would be as intuitive and self-explanatory as possible.. my problem with R0's playlist editor is its lack of functionality, and it's the main feature i'd hoped RB would remedy. All i want to do is build up a new playlist one track at a time, just adding selected tracks sequentially from multiple paths, but after many hours fiddling i'm no wiser. I can find and play files from teh File browser but the context menu takes me to a text editor, apprently to edit or confirm a playlist filename... and that's as far as i can get; from there i can only cancel back to the Filebrowser or WPS. Seems i can't create a new playlist in order to start adding tunes to it? Where am i going wrong?
Not sure I understand well your issue but that works:
Press the menu button on a file, folder or album you want to add to a playlist, select "playlist catalogue" and then "add to new playlist". Type the name you want and then press the user button to save it. Then when you go to "Playlist Catalogue" on the main menu, you'll see your playlist. To add other songs to this playlist, just repeat the operation but select "add to playlist" instead of "add to new playlist".

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5TORM View Post
Can we download and use these plug-ins?
Rockboy is included in the RB beta 1. Just download gameboy color games, copy them on the player and select them in the Files Viewer to open them. Please don't post gameboy ROM download links here as I'm not sure it's legal.
More info here: http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/PluginRockboy

Old 11-13-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Not sure I understand well your issue but that works:
Press the menu button on a file, folder or album you want to add to a playlist, select "playlist catalogue" and then "add to new playlist". Type the name you want and then press the user button to save it. Then when you go to "Playlist Catalogue" on the main menu, you'll see your playlist. To add other songs to this playlist, just repeat the operation but select "add to playlist" instead of "add to new playlist".
Ahh got it, cheers..

Old 11-13-2011, 10:40 AM

Thanks for your feeds.
I want you to know a remark: we are porting rockbox. Not implementing functions
So this thread is not fine for feature requests or such things.

Then, all plugins that rockbox supports are shipped. They don't necessarily come into the "Plugins" list, as some of them are viewers that without a file are meaningless (open these files from the browser).

RockBox starts only if you reset the player. I mean, if you turn on the original application, to return RB you need either wait 8 hrs for the autoshutdown from standby () or holding the power button/pressing reset hole.
A nice thing we could do is a menu that once the R0 is started you can choose which application to start, and turning off rockbox/original app means returning to this menu....Indeed this is just an idea, and will not be developed by me before rockbox being stable or such.

Thanks

Old 11-13-2011, 11:36 AM

how to enable the automatic shut-off when playing music?

Last edited by lonely_soul; 11-15-2011 at 06:08 AM.

Old 11-13-2011, 01:38 PM

Lorenzo: GREAT!!! You'll be remembered by many

finally a music-player as it should be (being in but-iPod forum here); gapless works!!, for now I've had no problems with the audio formats

few cons:
- yes, to switch on fly from RB to Y0 & back should be really useful (FM, unsupported vid formats etc)
- yes, mount mmc & maintain all the library together too...
- sometimes audio becomes disturbed and scratch for few seconds (Flac & mp3)
- sometimes the keymapping is not as much intuitive: thx libellium for posting!
- the stereo setting doesn't work (who care)

I thing a new thread with the updated links and a short FAQ should be written

ps
so now I can officially recall my samsung products ban...
and ask: is there anywhere a RB port for Corby?

Old 11-13-2011, 02:16 PM

stupid me, I've noted too late the library is correctly maintained after reboot. perfect!!
Lorenzo, it's another player now! really!

ps
is there still possible to buy a new 16G R0 anywhere? The one of mine is pretty broken already.. lol.

pps
the double-posting was due - & for to underline - my enthusiasm. anyway, I apologize for

Last edited by inkinx; 11-13-2011 at 05:40 PM.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:25 PM
Samsung Moderator

Please edit your posts instead of double posting

I'm afraid it's almost impossible to find a brand new 16GB R0 today. It has been discontinued for almost 1 year now.
It was already so difficult to get mine in August... 1 month to finally get it and about 150€ spent for this device. I could almost write a book to tell this story

Check on ebay from time to time

Quote:
- sometimes audio becomes disturbed and scratch for few seconds (Flac & mp3)
I also get it sometimes at random and we're trying to understand where it comes from. Keep you updated

@All: Please no longer ask questions here about how that or that works in Rockbox. There is the official Rockbox website and official RB user manual for that. This thread is not about the use of Rockbox but about its port to R0 and the relating issues and news. Thank you.

Last edited by lebellium; 11-13-2011 at 02:47 PM.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:26 PM

Thank you so much Lorenzo! I'm currently listening to my music from rockbox on my R0, thanks to you.
Contrarily to what was said earlier, I have no slowdown in rockbox. I was even surprised to see the navigation in the database being faster than on my rockboxed iPod (certainly because the iPod has a hard disk).

The problems I encountered:
  • As said before, there are sound glitches. Not often, but that's annoying...
  • No radio : that was said before too, but I'd really like to highlight it, because it's about the only thing that will make me prefer the original firmware.
  • The key map is not perfect.For example, I found no way to zoom in the image viewer.
  • Still in the image browser : some pictures display in black and white. Is it a problem of memory?
  • When I press a key once, sometimes the action is executed twice. For instance, when I'm in the text viewer and press the "back" key, the viewer exits, and the file browser goes 1 directory back.
  • The screen flashes twice on boot, and that's ugly. I read rockbox_loader.sh, and it seems that you did that on purpose. Why ?
  • I think the screen should dim off when keys are locked. My iPod (on rockbox) does that.
  • The display isn't correct in the game "bubbles". The key map could be better too (who decided that "up" would pause the game ?).
  • In spacerocks, the central key should trigger fire.
  • The game "snake2" doesn't fill the full screen.
  • I found no way to escape the "metronome" application.
  • I found no way to enter "pictureflow" settings.
  • When I first loaded the "clock" application, it printed "Error while loading settings".
  • It has been said already, but a graphical bootloader would be really useful. Now that you ported the SDL, wouldn't it be simple to create a little SDL application that displays 2 icons, and handles keypresses ? And while waiting for this application, couldn't you make a config file that lets us choose which system we want to boot by default?
  • /mnt/media0/Music should be the default folder on first launch, so that the user doesn't have to do that on his own.
  • No SDL simulator for the R0...
  • Will you provide us a patch and some instructions so that we can compile rockbox ourselves? If we could help you, then you would have less work.
Sorry for my bad english... And thank you again for being porting rockbox!

Last edited by lovasoa; 11-13-2011 at 04:12 PM.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:20 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonely_soul View Post
Can I make the Database menu in another language, I tried to do a Russian language, but instead of letters appeared squares ...
Yes, I think you just need to change the font to one that supports Russian characters.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovasoa View Post
  • No radio : that was said before too, but I'd really like to highlight it, because it's about the only thing that will make me prefer the original firmware.
  • The key map is not perfect.For example, I found no way to zoom in the image viewer.
  • Still in the image browser : some pictures display in black and white. Is it a problem of memory?
  • When I press a key once, sometimes the action is executed twice. For instance, when I'm in the text viewer and press the "back" key, the viewer exits, and the file browser goes 1 directory back.
  • The screen flashes twice on boot, and that's ugly. I read rockbox_loader.sh, and it seems that you did that on purpose. Why ?
  • I think the screen should dim off when keys are locked. My iPod (on rockbox) does that.
  • The display isn't correct in the game "bubbles". The key map could be better too (who decided that "up" would pause the game ?).
  • In spacerocks, the central key should trigger fire.
  • The game "snake2" doesn't fill the full screen.
  • I found no way to escape the "metronome" application.
  • I found no way to enter "pictureflow" settings.
  • When I first loaded the "clock" application, it printed "Error while loading settings".
  • It has been said already, but a graphical bootloader would be really useful. Now that you ported the SDL, wouldn't it be simple to create a little SDL application that displays 2 icons, and handles keypresses ? And while waiting for this application, couldn't you make a config file that lets us choose which system we want to boot by default?
  • /mnt/media0/Music should be the default folder on first launch, so that the user doesn't have to do that on his own.
  • No SDL simulator for the R0...
  • Will you provide us a patch and some instructions so that we can compile rockbox ourselves? If we could help you, then you would have less work.
Sorry for my bad english... And thank you again for being porting rockbox!
- it will be implemented
- keymap can be improved. Thanks for reporting.
- Can raise plugin available max ram. indeed R0 has plenty of ram, so 8 MB max for plugin could be fine to solve such problems.
- Yes I noticed it too. Need to see keymappings.
- The screen flash is mandatory. Also samsung app does this, but with the backlight off so you just don't see it . But if for you is so ugly (indeed could be against style), I'll disable backlight just before doing this. It's the only way to get rid of samsung logo: otherwise the logo won't let rockbox or any other app to show up (bootloader fills a buffer somewhere on the screen with the logo, maybe in the IPU device)
- This is a rockbox feature, not a thing related to r0 port
- Don't know if it a plugin issue or what. For key things, okay

For other things about plugins, I cannot answer. For keymaps yes, I will improve them.

For SDL -> no I'm using it only for the audio. I removed the things for video because it needed virtual console enabled in kernel, and recompiling kerneol with samsungs sources it's buggy (strange crashes etc)

• No SDL simulator for the R0... -> Don't understand
Of course I need to clean up a bit something a improve the build configurator. Then I'm ready to release the patch + necessary libs indeed.
Help will be appreciated, also because I will not have so much time to work on that and I'm still quite a "newbie" in C (you didn't guess that? lol)

EDIT: on the way to forgetting that....Thanks for review

EDIT2 : to zoom in/out images you need to press power/user buttons.

EDIT3: just tried to increase plugin memory but then rockbox won't start uhm uhm. I just guess that ram is managed dynamical or so because I just opened a panorama (3000 x 1000...) and worked, after 1 hr or so but it worked
btw fixed the ugly white-black-white screen

Quote:
I found no way to escape the "metronome" application.
I found no way to enter "pictureflow" settings.
for both, a long press of the back key

Last edited by Lorenz092; 11-14-2011 at 01:02 PM.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:44 PM

About images: I tried every button, I can't manage to zoom in. The images that display in B&W are amongst the default ones in /mnt/media0/Pictures. I'm not sure it's a memory problem: the videos display very well though they require more memory. And the images that display in B&W are not the largest ones. It may be a bug in rockbox...

"
No SDL simulator for the R0." : I mean, there is no simulator to test your version of rockbox on the computer. There are such apps for other versions of rockbox.

How do you create .raw image files ?

I looked in /etc, and it seems that your modded firmware has a lot of functionalities in addition to rockbox (something you call "safe mode", a backup system, a way to execute user scripts...). Can you provide a list of the functionalities you added, and how they work?

And how to compile an app for the R0 ? To which libraries should custom programs be linked ?

Sorry for asking so many questions... But I'm very excited about being able to safely hack my r0! (Last time I tried, Lebellium had to reset my player )

Old 11-14-2011, 01:51 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

You shouldn't need to increase plugin memory. Plugins will request memory from the audio buffer if they require more then is available in the plugin buffer.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:58 PM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovasoa View Post

I looked in /etc, and it seems that your modded firmware has a lot of functionalities in addition to rockbox (something you call "safe mode", a backup system, a way to execute user scripts...). Can you provide a list of the functionalities you added, and how they work?
You should read the "hacked firmware" thread. Everything is explained in the modded fw 2.20 read-me file (available in French too)

Quote:
(Last time I tried, Lebellium had to reset my player )
Really?
I unbricked so many R0 and R1 so far (probably 20 devices) that I don't remember who I already helped

Tags
r0, rockbox, samsung yp-r0