android
Old 03-21-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appick View Post
Weekly chearleading here!!! Looking good!!! (I think)

yes!!! Great slade!!

To think a little bit:

In the future there will be a possibility to install rockbox with default firmware and "double" booting? Like if I want to go to the original firmware, press and keep pressed during startup a key! Or the way I wrote in one post in this thread.
Furthermore, a way to be completely sure to not to brick device? I say, a rockbox version can fail, but if fails it loads the original firmware.
And for the library 99% error: any chance to delete it from rockbox with unlucky users?

But this is time to prepare rockbox as firmware: these features will be a plus

EDIT: By the way...GOOD JOB!!!!!! Great

Last edited by Lorenz092; 03-21-2011 at 12:24 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-21-2011, 12:27 PM

hey lorenz, yes dual booting will be availble and there will be an update firmware which enables to choose between to firmwares.
as for the 99% library bug i think there is only one way to do this with the new dual boot programm. we will give the option to format you flash (only known way to get rid of 99% for sure you have to find the mp3 which causes it yourself) and then reboot the device but yes its all possible.
rockbox will be updated via a new rockbox.zip extracted to root of the player so every new rockbox version will just be updated via usb plugging in and extracting the new zip file.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slade View Post
hey lorenz, yes dual booting will be availble and there will be an update firmware which enables to choose between to firmwares.
as for the 99% library bug i think there is only one way to do this with the new dual boot programm. we will give the option to format you flash (only known way to get rid of 99% for sure you have to find the mp3 which causes it yourself) and then reboot the device but yes its all possible.
rockbox will be updated via a new rockbox.zip extracted to root of the player so every new rockbox version will just be updated via usb plugging in and extracting the new zip file.
Well...you made me very very very very happy

Old 03-21-2011, 01:02 PM

i'll start to make sysdata roms now. i hope lebellium can test these i am hooked to the rockbox app now

Old 03-21-2011, 01:43 PM

DO NOT FLASH FOR LEBELLIUM ONLY

Here's the modified sysdata.bin lebellium whenever you have time it would be nice if you could try. and post here

thanks

Rom 1
Rom 2

Old 03-21-2011, 02:53 PM

mgue is currently working on getting the buttons figured out. i am busy to getting to understand rockboxes way of assigning buttons. should be close in a few.
update
new kernel fix to support sd card now, also more stable and a bit faster than previous custom kernel

Last edited by slade; 03-21-2011 at 04:32 PM.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:45 PM

you totally rock!
I want to cheer my ass off right now.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:15 PM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:

Here's the modified sysdata.bin lebellium whenever you have time it would be nice if you could try. and post here

thanks

Rom 1
Rom 2
Good news guys, it's working

ROM 1: On and off sounds are inverted
ROM 2: beep sounds during navigation seem to have been removed. Was it the desirable effect?

But I don't advise you to flash your R0 with these ROM files if not necessary because they are made from a new Kernel that makes the system quite unstable

Old 03-22-2011, 05:18 AM

some bad news. r0 app on the player uses librariers to open the communication between display/battery stats/keypad/ etc. we can't use rockbox without the r0 app atm, as it we can't open the devices ourselves yet.

edit

also custom kernel boots a bit slower than the original one since we can't afford a professional toolchain for 3000 $

Last edited by slade; 03-22-2011 at 06:54 AM.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:37 AM

Greetings everyone! You are doing a great work!

Slade,
Can you make a scriptable 1.24 firmware without safety feature, please?
I want something like
Code:
#!/bin/sh

BLABLA regular content of rc.local script

# Just start it.
/bin/sh /mnt/media0/loader.sh &>/dev/null &
in rc.start.

For testing purposes I can create a loader.sh like
Code:
/bin/sh /mnt/media0/Scripts/danger.sh > /mnt/media0/Scripts/log 2>&1 &
echo "#!/bin/sh" > /mnt/media0/Scripts/danger.sh
and for regular usage
Code:
/bin/sh /mnt/media0/Scripts/safe.sh > /mnt/media0/Scripts/log 2>&1 &
So, Slade, please make a new scriptable firmware. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Slowpoke; 03-22-2011 at 08:42 AM.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:13 AM

....or better release a firmware that can load rockbox (so we can test it too, and develop) without problems (if it hangs no problems etc...) And for the initialization problem: what's the problem? I have seen a screenshot but the display wasn't right initialized? Or did you mean to load rockbox as an app and not trough the original firm? ...of course we won't stop there @lebellium: nice to hear that the packer works. So for the inverted sounds OK For the modified default.aui you should hear always the same sound, maybe it's not so loud...If it doesn't work I did maybe a mistake with the wav format or default.aui repacking....Maybe I have to test to only extract files and invert them (quite as I did with startup)

EDIT: I don't know why firefox deleted all the returns...
EDIT2: sorry for our impatience...this will be a revolution for a similar well made player, with quite bad software on it!

Last edited by Lorenz092; 03-22-2011 at 08:25 AM.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:09 AM

The i.mx37 has, like all chips of the i.mx series, an Image Processing Unit that calculates recurring tasks in hardware (like rotating the image by 90 or converting it to another color space). Samsung also makes use of a feature which allows the developer to overlay a plane over another one. If the first plane completely covers the underlying one, you basically can "hide" stuff like the booting process or error logs until the main application (in our case r0) is ready. In our case, the Samsung Logo hides the whole boot process (display flare, logs, output etc.)
The application can control the IPU using the imx-lib collection. The library is called libipu.so which is also shipped with the R0.rom (/lib/libipu.so).

I hope slade and I can clean up the wiki of our project server during the next days and make it public so you guys can contribute more easily. _Maybe_ even an unbricking manual will be there (doing some tests now with a Freescale tool for writing directly into NAND)

Have a nice day!

mgue

Last edited by mgue; 03-22-2011 at 09:35 AM.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:50 AM
Ultra Senior Member

You guys are all on the top of my list if I ever need to hire guys to write code again...

another faithful cheerleader...
-les
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 03-22-2011, 03:04 PM

I don't understand: why can't you use libipu.so?

Old 03-23-2011, 07:38 AM

you need to write a c program and dlopen the library to use the functions within it.

Btw. I made a new custom kernel with processor specific settings now the kernel is even faster than the stock one. i am currently looking at bugs. I will later release a firmware which will be first tested by lebellium as well with enabled scripting, and new kernel. for rockbox I can also provide the basics to get started but it interferes with usb handling so usb transfers wont work so its most likely you brick the device and there is no advancement in the usability yet ... means no button map also r0 app is layered underneath rockbox app so we can for now use the framebuffer device.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
you need to write a c program and dlopen the library to use the functions within it.

Btw. I made a new custom kernel with processor specific settings now the kernel is even faster than the stock one. i am currently looking at bugs. I will later release a firmware which will be first tested by lebellium as well with enabled scripting, and new kernel. for rockbox I can also provide the basics to get started but it interferes with usb handling so usb transfers wont work so its most likely you brick the device and there is no advancement in the usability yet ... means no button map also r0 app is layered underneath rockbox app so we can for now use the framebuffer device.
with these piece of news, in a month we will have a new operating system haha well I joke but...GREAT!
Btw, with faster you mean also a faster startup? This wont be bad

EDIT: as I understood, at the moment rockbox is still an application that runs with the original app on the linux kernel. This is unoptimized, is it true? And maybe more battery eater?
The goal will be running rockbox without linux kernel as a base right? But directly on the hardware, where rockbox act actually as an OS...

Old 03-23-2011, 02:39 PM

custom kernel is working great except for standby as soon as the player goes into standby you have to reset it to start it up again -.- damn

well we'll try to port as an application first. start with little steps and go further and for now i'd like to keep the samsung firmware on there. also android is still on ice as porting kernel eats up to much time and we already got some of the application working.
rockbox can also be compiled with -mcpu=arm1176jzf-s -march=armv6z etc. to improve performance of the app. Samsung compiled the kernel without flags so this is why everything seems a little slow. the custom kernel is a bit faster in booting and also overall performance seems to be a little better but as mentioned above standby bug (which was there before and then gone when i changed the config and now its present again and i cant figure out what i did to get rid of it )

Old 03-23-2011, 03:07 PM

If there are some flags to set to make the kernel faster, can you tell us which ones ?
Maybe Lebellium, who can contact Samsung Korea, can tell them to compile the kernel with the good flags by default, to make the R0 faster for everyone, can't he?
And I have an other question : which version of the kernel did you compile: the latest 2.6.38 with the new pathname lookup and the transparent huge pages, or an older version?

Last edited by lovasoa; 03-23-2011 at 06:25 PM. Reason: add a question

Old 03-23-2011, 06:21 PM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovasoa View Post
Maybe Lebellium, who can contact Samsung Korea, can tell them to compile the kernel with the good flags by default, to make the R0 faster for everyone, can't he?
Unfortunately that's not that easy. It's not like I request something and they do it, otherwise your R0 would support gapless playback, m3u playlists and many other great things
Most human and material resources of the mobile phone/mp3 division are used for the mobile phones and the new Galaxy players so don't except Samsung to spend time on the R0.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:35 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
Most human and material resources of the mobile phone/mp3 division are used for the mobile phones and the new Galaxy players so don't except Samsung to spend time on the R0.
That's a pity... It wouldn't be difficult to recompile the kernel with new flags, and it would benefit a lot of people.

But after all, it's understandable that they spend more time on more important devices...

Tags
r0, rockbox, samsung yp-r0