android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > iRiver

Old 03-20-2010, 08:18 PM

Default First Look: Iriver AFT 100 Mobile FM Transmitter

• Product Features
  • Mobile FM transmitter for listening to portable audio devices through car stereo
  • Transmits to all FM frequencies (88.1 to 107.9 MHz)
  • Plugs into standard car power socket--no batteries required
  • Connects to the headphone jack of portable MP3 or CD players; easy-to-read blue LCD display
  • Universal accessory for all digital audio players compatible with 3.5mm mini-jack
    Technical Details
  • Model number: AFT-100
  • Modulation: FM
  • Frequency range: 88.1 to 107.9 MHz
  • Interface: 3.5-millimeter plug
  • Power supply: Cigarette lighter adapter
  • Display: Blue LCD display
  • In the Box: AFT-100 mobile FM transmitter, instruction sheet

So i just bought this from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/iriver-AFT-100.../ref=de_a_smtd and i must say this is worth the $18.95 it sold for (probably can get it cheaper now too)

it works for NON iriver players too

Cons:
Some static when on the highway.

Last edited by MegaZoneEX; 03-21-2010 at 01:46 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-20-2010, 10:40 PM

Default A note about transmitters in a car....

I've been using the same transmitter and it works pretty good for the time I had it. A note to anyone using a transmitter (or in general any electronics that uses the car's power), if you think that you've killed your car's battery and your device is still attached to the outlet, please remove the device before getting a jump because this can fry the circuitry.(Had to learn this the hard way. Sorry transmitter.)

Old 10-06-2010, 06:02 AM

Default Dumb Design

I had to defeat the auto shut off circuit created by stupid design engineers. Now I can set my volume at the same range or only slightly higher than when using ear buds.

For those that don't know, the stupid designers decided that although it would take 5 years for this thing to drain your car battery (it draws only 35 mA of current) if left plugged in with your car parked, they decided it should shut itself off after 30 seconds of silence. The other part of the problem is that for them, silence is caused by normal MP3 player volume settings.

Since most MP3 players have recargeable and non-replaceable batteries that can only be charged a certain amount of time, there is no excuse to require you to turn up your volume to 75% because some engineer doesn't have a brain.

Tons of people have returned an otherwise good unit because it randomly shuts off and they don't know why.

I see Griffin did the same thing with their iTrip FM transmitters. A couple Darwin award winners.