android
Old 10-23-2010, 08:38 PM

Default I'm a bit confused about SQ

So anyway, I'm really new to this whole MP3 thing. I got my Clip previously and now my Fuze. I felt the included earphones sounded amazing, but you guys tell me it's really nothing and that there are much decent ones for a cheap price. So I'm getting V-Moda Vibes, which has a sensitivity of 92dB (not really sure what this means, but...). I went to the dollar store and bought a pair of $5 in-earphones a while back and they have a sensitivity of 100dB. Now are these Vibes supposed to outperform the $5 phones I bought or...? I'm a bit confused at this point.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-23-2010, 08:50 PM

/sneak I'm gonna post this before WalkGood does

This link should help you learn more about headphones.
Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677

Old 10-23-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adub View Post
/sneak I'm gonna post this before WalkGood does

This link should help you learn more about headphones.
link's busted :P

Old 10-23-2010, 08:56 PM

Fool he fixed it.

Edit: BTW we've discussed the included buds from sansa, they do sound better than most included buds, it's just too bad that buds can not provide issolation and when you do hear some high end iem's you'll hear the difference.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Last edited by WalkGood; 10-23-2010 at 09:05 PM.

Old 10-23-2010, 09:07 PM

Ah. I see. I'm deciding between Senheisser CX300s and Vibes, the Senheisser has a longer cable and a much higher sensitivity, but I dunno. Guess I'll wait for somebody experienced with both to reply.

Old 10-23-2010, 09:12 PM

I own the cx300's and if you're comparing to the original vibes I'd go vibe.

Edit: If you want to know what I don’t like about the cx300s: the L cable, too much cable microphonics from their cables and I hate the wind noise they produce on the go, even from a light breeze. What I like about them: relatively a good sound for the price if your not biking, running or on the move

Last edited by WalkGood; 10-23-2010 at 09:17 PM.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
I own the cx300's and if you're comparing to the original vibes I'd go vibe.

Edit: If you want to know what I don’t like about the cx300s: the L cable, too much cable microphonics from their cables and I hate the wind noise they produce on the go, even from a light breeze. What I like about them: relatively a good sound for the price if your not biking, running or on the move
No good for me, then.

I'm all for the Vibes, but I'm a bit worried about the fact that my dollarstore headphones might outperform them. Looking at impedance, my dollarstore ones have twice as much as the Vibes (32 Ohms), and according to the guide, higher = better sound + less hiss, more battery usage.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:31 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool View Post
No good for me, then.

I'm all for the Vibes, but I'm a bit worried about the fact that my dollarstore headphones might outperform them. Looking at impedance, my dollarstore ones have twice as much as the Vibes (32 Ohms), and according to the guide, higher = better sound + less hiss, more battery usage.
If you're happy with the dollar store ones, why are you thinking about buying the Vibes or CX-300s?

BTW, do you know the brand name of these dollar store ones? Perhaps somebody is experienced with them.

Steve

Old 10-24-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
No good for me, then.

I will tell you right now that ohms, and other such tech specs have very little impact on your listening experience. You can't figure out the sound quality from those tech specs. My 300 ohm Senn HD650s hiss no less than my 32 ohm earphones (akg319/Senn MX560).

The thing about battery usage is also a lie. People think that more ohms makes phones harder to drive (ie need more output from an amplifier)... But the difference is negligible. Your IEMs will take less battery power because they are directly in your ear and thus don't have very far to go, but even if you were to switch to circumaural headphones, you wouldn't need that much more power (about 5 more volume out of 40 on the S9) to get them to the same loudness for your ears.

When you spend more money you get higher build quality, and materials that are not the cheapest possible (and therefore usually not ideal). That won't really show up in the tech specs, but you'll notice it if you've been wondering why some songs clip or have distortion with your dollar store earphones. You'll probably notice some increase in comfort, too.

I think you will be surprised how much better it is to a get good, standard pair of earphones, after using cheap earphones for so long. I criticise people who think there is audio nirvana beyond standard equipment, but I'm certain using the cheapest possible set up sacrifices a great deal of quality. Like the difference between listening to an old radio from the 70s with tonnes of static, and your TV that was only built this year.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
... I'm a bit worried about the fact that my dollarstore headphones might outperform them. Looking at impedance, my dollarstore ones have twice as much as the Vibes (32 Ohms), and according to the guide, higher = better sound + less hiss, more battery usage.
I wouldn’t worry about upgrading headphones, I’m confident that you’ll note a substantial improvement over dollar store headphones with most respectable manufactures, even the cx300’s are better if you’re a bass lover. Don’t let headphone specs weigh that much influence on your decisions as Chef explained, I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised and if not I'd be surprised …

Old 10-24-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
If you're happy with the dollar store ones, why are you thinking about buying the Vibes or CX-300s?

BTW, do you know the brand name of these dollar store ones? Perhaps somebody is experienced with them.

Steve
HRS Global noise reductions, according to the box. Some foreign company or something according to Google.

I've never really bought proper headphones (brand names and such) so I'm just a bit skeptic about what's what when it comes to headphones. I'm guessing Vibes perform better than the included Sansa buds anyway, which is good enough for me.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:34 PM

Fool,
I find this whole skepticism hard to understand, if price is an issue you might want to try out some less expensive iem’s like the JVC Marshmallow’s and do the Kramer mod to them. For around $15.00 you’ll get a good idea of the benefits of iem’s that don’t cost much more and from there you can make your next decision when needed.

Old 10-24-2010, 01:48 PM

Indeed i also don't understand the skepticism. Unless you have severe hearing loss or something similar there is a drastic difference from dollar store/stock buds and actually high quality iems/buds.
Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677

Old 10-24-2010, 02:13 PM

I forgot to mention, my kids (10 and 12 yro’s) use dollar store headphones on their computer and they can tell how much better the included sansa buds are when they run with their rockboxed clips. My older one now uses cx300’s and really likes them much better than the sansa buds for the bass, sq and isolation and when either one of them uses my hd650s they’re in audio bliss

Old 10-24-2010, 04:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Fool,
I find this whole skepticism hard to understand, if price is an issue you might want to try out some less expensive iem’s like the JVC Marshmallow’s
or the Vibes for less from that eBay seller. They are definitely more comfortable than the stock Marshmallow tips, and IMO more comfortable than the Marshmallows with Ultimate Ears tips.

Steve

Old 10-24-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
or the Vibes for less from that eBay seller. They are definitely more comfortable than the stock Marshmallow tips, and IMO more comfortable than the Marshmallows with Ultimate Ears tips.

Steve
Wow less than $15, I know the mallows can be had for a low as $9 or $10, but yea either route would be fine for him to test IMHO.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Wow less than $15, I know the mallows can be had for a low as $9 or $10, but yea either route would be fine for him to test IMHO.
I got my Blue Vibes for $15. The Red Roxx are $11, and the Blush are $7. Other colours (black and chrome) are more. These are older models (overstock/clearance). The 2010 models are $40.

My wife who doesn't like stuff in her ears and has been avoiding my attempts to get her try better earphones, decided to try them. Result? I've lost my blue Vibes to her until the blush ones arrive. On well, I can use the green Bass Freqs, and JVC FX-66 Air Cushions.

EDIT: BTW, in dfkt's chart, it looks like the Vibes are rated as the most comfortable. The only ones with a bolded Good under comfort.

Steve

Old 10-25-2010, 04:10 PM

Well I've ordered the Vibes anyway. I'll see how it goes. You said they usually come in two weeks?

Old 10-25-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Well I've ordered the Vibes anyway. I'll see how it goes. You said they usually come in two weeks?
Congrats Fool, don't forget to post back and let us know how you like ...

Old 10-25-2010, 04:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Two weeks to Canada. The second order just arrived today (Oct 25), ordered Oct 12. The commonest feedback to 128headphones is "fast shipping".

BTW, my wife's comment when she saw the Blush ones today was "Wow, they are pink".

Steve