android
Old 10-18-2011, 09:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Having missed the dates of these posts (almost a year ago), I couldn't understand the OP's issue, thinking, well, why not just get a Clip Zip? And people say that SanDisk doesn't listen . . . .

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-18-2011, 09:55 PM

Well, I'm certainly not gonna take credit for a bigger screen idea. Nice to think so, but...

Amp: PA2V2, Fiio E3, FiiO E7, FiiO E5, FiiO E11, FiiO E6, FiiO E10

Old 10-18-2011, 10:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Missed this a year ago...

I think a Fuze sized player with clip controls would be great! The Flip? The Cluze? The options are endless! (ok, not really...)

Old 10-18-2011, 11:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm down with it. J3 size, Rocky Box, Slot just as long as they don't discontinue the ones before it I quite liked the Sansa View.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:50 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I would have thought that they would also increase the battery life to 24 hours to match the ipod Nano. Isn't the goal to take away as much market share from the Nano as possible? Besides increasing battery life to 24 hours, a deluxe version of the Clip with an aluminum or titanium case would be nice.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:03 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
I would have thought that they would also increase the battery life to 24 hours to match the ipod Nano. Isn't the goal to take away as much market share from the Nano as possible? Besides increasing battery life to 24 hours, a deluxe version of the Clip with an aluminum or titanium case would be nice.
The CLip/Clip+/Clip Zip is in the Shuffle range...the Fuze/Fuze+ is the Nano competitor.
Titanium would be too expensive, but aluminum is nice.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:08 PM

I'm finding the larger LCD screen of the Zip to be very good at displaying the information I need. But it does tend to get washed out in bright sunshine, which I don't think is a problem with the screen of the Clip+.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Stanton View Post
I'm finding the larger LCD screen of the Zip to be very good at displaying the information I need.
So I gather you don't need track length, track number, elapsed time, remaining time, and album title, eh?

Old 10-20-2011, 01:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
So I gather you don't need track length, track number, elapsed time, remaining time, and album title, eh?
+1. And, total tracks.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:21 PM

Only so much can be done with 9696 full color (three subpixels) and have album art as well. :-)

Old 10-20-2011, 10:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRockbox View Post
Only so much can be done with 9696 full color (three subpixels) and have album art as well. :-)
Yep. Which is exactly why SanDisk should have used a better, more pixel-dense LCD.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Yep. Which is exactly why SanDisk should have used a better, more pixel-dense LCD.
I don't know about anybody else, but I'm hoping our fine Rockbox friends can work some magic with that little screen. Any plans for a "Zipline" theme?

Old 10-20-2011, 10:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Any plans for a "Zipline" theme?
Never say never...

If the Rockbox port reaches maturity, you can bet I'll be buying myself a Zip...and if none of the other themes out at that time suit me, you can bet I'll be making/tweaking my own.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:40 AM
Ultra Senior Member

So long as you share!

Old 10-21-2011, 09:23 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
The CLip/Clip+/Clip Zip is in the Shuffle range...the Fuze/Fuze+ is the Nano competitor.
Titanium would be too expensive, but aluminum is nice.

The Clip+ and Clip zip are imo closer to the functionality of the ipod Nano than the Shuffle. While the Clip might have initially been designed to compete against the Shuffle, in truth it is also taking away market share from the Nano. Increasing the battery life to 24 hours would put it even more on par with the Nano(and in some ways like the card slot,and handling podcasts and audiobooks the Clip+ and Clip Zip exceed the Nano). The weakest feature of the Clip series is the battery life. Increasing the battery life to 24 hours might only require the player to be around 25% thicker, which might not be very noticeable. Perhaps the clip itself on the player could be made thinner and stronger by making it of metal. I have some old tiny Sony radio radios with a very thin and very sturdy clip made of metal.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:25 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinburger1109 View Post
So long as you share!
Oh, I'm sure I'll find a gadget forum signature to drop a link into.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:03 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Disclaimer:I am not a fan o the current Nano, and I think it is overpriced enough that I have no interest in buying one. That said....
Quote:
The Clip+ and Clip zip are imo closer to the functionality of the ipod Nano than the Shuffle. While the Clip might have initially been designed to compete against the Shuffle, in truth it is also taking away market share from the Nano.
I'd really have to seem some evidence before I believed that
Quote:
Increasing the battery life to 24 hours would put it even more on par with the Nano(and in some ways like the card slot,and handling podcasts and audiobooks the Clip+ and Clip Zip exceed the Nano).
Again, I'd have to see some proof of this......remember the Nano works with iTunes, which has maybe the biggest huge podcast/audiobook directory out there.
Quote:
The weakest feature of the Clip series is the battery life. Increasing the battery life to 24 hours might only require the player to be around 25% thicker, which might not be very noticeable.
25% thicker than it is now,not very noticeable? Did you see these pics ?http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...postcount=5860
Part of the Clip's charm all along has been the size and light weight...with the Zip they made it slightly bigger in height and width and kept the weight in check by making it a little thinner. So I don't want them making it 25% thicker. I get around 12 hours playtime with my high-bitrate MP3's, and I am just fine with that....after all, it is not my only player. And Rockbox will probably improve upon that when it is ready (yes, I know, you won't try Rockbox because you want to be able to play SlotRadio cards )
Quote:
Perhaps the clip itself on the player could be made thinner and stronger by making it of metal.
Now this, I could get on board with....the blue player in those^^ pics is aluminum with a stainless steel clip.

Old 10-21-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
And call it the Fuze+?

Seriously, with a player this inexpensive there are tradeoffs to reach a price point. Clips are known for OLED screens, so color is the next logical step. I suspect that these OLED panels are available for real cheap -- no use in phones, tablets or most other devices so the manufacturer may have plenty of unused stock. Perhaps the next iteration will have higher density.

Old 10-21-2011, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRockbox View Post
And call it the Fuze+?

Seriously, with a player this inexpensive there are tradeoffs to reach a price point. Clips are known for OLED screens, so color is the next logical step. I suspect that these OLED panels are available for real cheap -- no use in phones, tablets or most other devices so the manufacturer may have plenty of unused stock. Perhaps the next iteration will have higher density.
Shhh....!

People post in these "They need to add..." threads to indulge in fantasy. You bringing up messy things like the price going up just kills the buzz. Let them have their fun. Hopefully Sandisk will continue to ignore these type threads and keep buying cheap parts and putting them together in really decent, but not spectacular players.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:11 PM

The price, density and increasing size of OLED will come down as technology progresses further -- we know that. The good stuff will trickle down.

I think the player's quality for the price and size is outrageously good.