android
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-13-2010, 06:22 PM

Default The Archos Key?

My mom said she wants a simple MP3 player for her birthday, and I recently stumbled across this one, apparently called the Archos Key:

It's a 4GB MP3 player with a little screen and a MicroSD card slot, all for $35. It's designed like a USB stick, which reminds me of the old Sansa Express, so my mother won't lose a cable or anything. It sounds great, but I can barely find any info about it.

I haven't found any professional reviews of the thing, and there are a few things that concern me about it. The screen looks like a friggin' antique, especially compared to the Clip+'s super-high-contrast screen, and most of the anecdotes I found out about it on Google aren't promising. They say the audio quality is superb, but it has barely any features, its interface goes against common sense, and it would fall apart basically as soon as she got it.

My mom doesn't use things like podcasts or whatnot, so she doesn't need a terrifically big features set, but I also hear that navigating the device is a nightmare, which I doubt she would be a fan of. For $35, though, I could certainly do worse with a rubbish Coby or something.

My mom doesn't need more than 2GB, I don't think she has a lot of music, but she's pointed out specifically that she would use it while walking. This leads me to wonder if I should get something more suitable for a walking player, like a Philips, or just declare "Hell with it" and get a Sansa Clip+.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]