android
Old 05-02-2011, 04:37 PM

I've been mailing back and forth with a seller who has stores several places in Denmark and just today they finally arrived to Copenhagen! I've literally been sitting in the store for 3 hours straight, listening to the TMA-1 and comparing them to my Hippo VBs. At first I wasn't impressed of the treble, but later I figured out that it was because I was quite used to the VBs sibalance (I've had them in 4 months).

Now I got them in my hands and I have yet to regret my purchase. The headphones, the cables and everything feels so good and when it comes to sound I particularly love the bass. It is different from the VBs, but certainly in a good way. Pictures is comming up soon.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-13-2011, 01:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

My tma-1's were shipped by j&r music world this morning - I can't wait to try these babys out.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

OK, I got them today, and I hope using them till Friday will improve the SQ to my ears - as I'm hearing the same "muddy" and unrefined SQ that others have mentioned. Maybe I just prefer the "hot" treble sound of the HD25-1 II's? I don't know,...but so far I'm leaning towards the Senns,...

PS: I swapped out the horrid coiled cable within 5min for a 5 foot straight one I had laying around. The best $.99 I've spent in quite awhile,...

Old 05-16-2011, 07:12 PM

Aha you got them already... Mine are still on the way, according to the UPS tracking I'll get them Wednesday the 18th.

Meanwhile I'll wait for your thoughts on these! And not only SQ wise =P

Old 05-16-2011, 07:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

dfkt covered all the finer points of fit & function (I do prefer the tighter fit of the HD25-1 II's BTW), but the SQ will be a topic I'd discuss later on - after the dreaded "burn in" period is underway. The overall package is a 10+ I'd say,...

Old 05-16-2011, 07:34 PM

Glad to know!

Which pads are you using btw?

Old 05-16-2011, 07:35 PM

Give them ample time for your brain to 'burn in' to them. They sure are different to most other phones on the market. They sure aren't for everyone (as I wrote in my review), but they are excellent on their own. They are about fun, excitement, beefy, lush sound... they sure aren't about neutrality or linearity.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

There's only 2 pairs of the synthetic leather (protien?) pads, and 1 is on the headphones themselves.

And yes, dfkt, I will definitely give them a few days for me to adjust. Especially since they sound exactly the opposite of what I expected. But, I must say, hooked up to the Rockboxed clip+ they sound friggin unbelievable!!! The problem is I also switch between devices frequently - and they don't seem to sound correct w/them all so far. I'll test out my iPhone 4 on friday - that'll be the deciding factor for me really,... This way I get used to their sound sig, and I see if it mates up well w/my most used device.

UPDATE: I listened to a few songs I've heard quite a few times, including a really good (IMO) song by Thomas Dolby called "Airwaves",...all I could say was "DAMN!!!" It was amazing, and the sound staging was WAYYYYYYYYYYYY BETTER than the HD25-1 II's,... I guess the HP's really did need some time for the drivers to get in a bit of flexing in. WOW, totally AMAZING,....I'm floored!!! Plus, the highs are now much more audible & enjoyable. I've also noticed they're much sharper on the HD25-1 II's - and somewhat uncomfortable. The TMA-1's sound pleasing, and not fatiguing at all. I really do like these, a lot. Even the mids, which were recessed to me, are now RIGHT THERE!!! Me likey, me likey A LOT!!!

Thanks to all you guys for being quite honest about them,...but most importantly - to dfkt for the great review!!! I'd never have even considered them after getting the Senn HD25-1 II's,...now I'll be sending those Senns BACK!!!

Last edited by The DarkSide; 05-17-2011 at 09:23 PM.

Old 05-18-2011, 03:53 PM

Whoa, I'm really glad to hear that, and that I didn't go for the HD-25 II. I'm getting mine today, soonish I hope. ^_^

Old 05-18-2011, 05:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm not gonna lie and say I don't like the HD25-1 II's, but ATM I'm listening to the TMA-1's w/my iPhone 4 - FTW!!! This shiit sounds FANTASTIC!!! The TMA-1 sounds OK w/the classic, but EXCELLENT w/everything else. I can't wait to test it out w/the other Sony S639 in the house,...I'm probably gonna cry!!!

Old 05-19-2011, 02:35 AM

someone has fallen in love with the TMA-1

Old 05-19-2011, 01:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Congrats, Dark.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:48 PM

Hope to get mine within a month!

Old 05-19-2011, 02:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confispect View Post
Congrats, Dark.
Thanks bro, they sound excellent.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

OK, SQ aside - how the HELL do I get them to stay on my friggin' ears?!?!?! If theres no solution I'm shipping them back by Saturday. I mean, I walk and they shift, lean and they shift, turn my HEAD and the shift - sounds like an "RMA" to me.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hmmm,

I was just about to ask how's the fit.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confispect View Post
Hmmm,

I was just about to ask how's the fit.
Do you have them as well? Do you have the same issue?

@sYlt: How about you? These are most likely going back this Sat.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:46 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Nope i'm saving up for customs these are next.

At least they sound good f'd up they don't stay on.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, I call J&R tomorrow for the RMA, then I get me $$$ back. I'm glad I didn't send the Senns back!!!

Old 05-20-2011, 01:37 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah getting the perfect fit can be a bit of an issue. For me, I have to wear them unevenly, as in 3 clicks from the end on one side and 2 on the other because the gaps between adjustment positions are massive.

Although my main problem was that they were too tight at first they now are comfortable and loose enough, the pads have really fluffed up as well not stiff or anything.

The matte rubber coating is starting to peel a bit as expected after this long. Oddly enough its on the top front of the headband and not on the sides of the ear cups where I expected, must be forgetting that I keep hitting my head when wearing them or something, oh well ;P