android
Old 12-17-2010, 01:08 PM

So it's somewhere between the leather pads and foam pads, but closer to the leather pad sound? That would be a nice tweak.

The real Senn velours pads are great, most of my DJing friends have those on their HD25's, barely anyone uses the flaking fake leather ones.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-17-2010, 01:16 PM

Yeah I think that would be a fair summary.

It's spacier, clearer, less midbass (and I was finding too much mid bass for my tastes with the pleather), a bit more treble.

I'm not sure if maybe I wouldn't prefer it to be just a bit closer to the pleather as you do lose out on some of the weight and body to the sound that the TMA-1 does very well.

But these are terrible cheap versions of HD25 pads. When I got them I had read that HD25 pads sounded good on Yamaha HP-1s and they sounded utterly terrible, so the real HD25 ones might just do it. Fingers crossed.

Has anyone tried the "semi leather"? What does that even mean? Are they leather or not?

Old 12-17-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieE View Post
Has anyone tried the "semi leather"? What does that even mean? Are they leather or not?
From here, straight from the (Danish) horse's mouth:

Quote:
"Sorry for the late reply and confusion.

We have to admit that we have not been very accurate with names for our ear pads. First of all, there are three different kinds of ear pads:

Foam (they come with the TMA-1)
Protein Leather (they also come with the TMA-1 and are called leather on the package)
PU Leather (they are available as extra ear pads on our webshop).

Now the newsletter writes about leather (which actually are the protein leather ear pads) and semi-lether (which are the PU leather ear pads). On our webshop we called the protein leather pads for semi-leather ear pads and the PU leather pads are called synthetic.

The reason why we have different names is that we do not want to call the protein leather ear pads "leather pads" anymore, as they are not really made out of leather and the name is misleading. However we have not coordinated this very well so at the moment there is only confusion. We hope though to agree on names for the different pads soon.

If you want to order some additional pads, using our webshop's terminology, please refer to this:

Semi-leather (protein leather pads, the ones that come with the TMA-1)
Synthetic (PU leather pads).

I deeply apologize for the confusion and hope I could sort it out for you. Please let me know if you have any further questions."
More about protein leather here: http://www.cgtower.com/auto_pro_leather.htm

Old 12-17-2010, 01:43 PM

I had to look up "PU Leather" too - found out the reason I'd never heard that term is its illegal to call it PU Leather in the UK or NZ as it's false advertising.

So really AiAiAi have no real leather pads. That's a shame.

Old 12-17-2010, 01:50 PM

I don't think it matters much - the protein pads (wow, that sounds scienc-y, and creepy) feel very well made to me. Similar to Alcantara, which is actually more durable than real leather, and also more sweat resistant. I notice I don't get anywhere as sweaty with the protein pads on the TMA-1 as I do with the plastic leather pads on the HFI-780 or the T50p.

Only ever used real leather pads for a short time, so can't really compare (used them when I tried idiot phones like the Edition 8, DT990/600 Manufaktur, and such).

Old 12-17-2010, 02:23 PM

The t50p doesn't have real leather either? For a phone that expensive you'd expect it.

I tried leather pads on Stax SR507 and O2 and they just seemed cooler and less sweaty than the fake kind, although I do agree that the pleather on the TMA-1 is a lot better than that on most other phones. Time will tell. The biggest draw back with pleather is its tendency to peel away a bit with age.

I've ordered some of those 507 pads for my 303s and also ordered some of J-Money's lambskin beyerpads - destination undecided.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:29 PM

The "made in Germany" T50p even use a generic Chinese OEM 3.5mm plug... it's all just marketing, no real values in those phones.

About the peeling/flaking - as i understand it, Protein Leather is similar to Alcantara in that aspect. Not some plastic crap laminate on some cloth carrier, but emulating the molecular structure of real leather in-depth. I think they won't flake.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
The "made in Germany" T50p even use a generic Chinese OEM 3.5mm plug... it's all just marketing, no real values in those phones.
I'm still so gutted about those phones. I really hoped they'd be an ideal portable. What a disappointment...

Quote:
About the peeling/flaking - as i understand it, Protein Leather is similar to Alcantara in that aspect. Not some plastic crap laminate on some cloth carrier, but emulating the molecular structure of real leather in-depth. I think they won't flake.
Good news.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:30 AM

Can someone comment on this: http://www.headfonia.com/aiaiai-tma-1/ ? In the comments he keeps saying they sound muffled with everything except club music, which makes me feel a bit uneasy... However, the guy uses an iShit as a music source so his word isn't of much value to me.

@dfkt: How is the review coming along? I'm not rushing you or anything, but an ETA would be nice...

Old 12-18-2010, 09:40 AM

Well, he uses words like "PRaT" and "audiophile" in the review...

Nevertheless, I like what he wrote, in general.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Well, he uses words like "PRaT" and "audiophile" in the review...
That MUST mean he is very competent. I thought so, but I just wanted to make sure...

Old 12-19-2010, 11:45 AM

Yea, and the reviewer's comparisons of the TMA's & HD25-1's bass and punch are even more confusing:

"Bass texture, clarity, and low bass is much better in the TMA-1. Bass punch is quite powerful, though the HD25-1 is still the champ in bass punch. The HD25-1 is not very good in low bass."

"The HD25-1 has an awesome PRaT, mainly because of two things: the forward presentation, and the tight and punchy bass. The TMA-1 is not so far behind though. The bass is also tight and punchy, but overall, the HD25-1 is still better with PRaT."

....ahhhhh, thanks mr. reviewer.... it's all clear as mud now as to how these and the HD25-1's compare.

Old 12-19-2010, 12:03 PM

I know I'm being ignorant, but what the heck is PRaT? I tried googling it, but nothing userful comes up...

Old 12-19-2010, 12:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dispose View Post
I know I'm being ignorant, but what the heck is PRaT? I tried googling it, but nothing userful comes up...
I think it is pace, rhythm, and timing....but I could very well be wrong.

Old 12-19-2010, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Pace, Rhythm and Timing.

Hey, don't look at ME!!! Because I know the acronym doesn't mean I believe in it! And no, you're not being ignorant. Unless you read audiophile magazines and reviews you'll never run across it in the real world. It's one of the made up terms they use to say, "I can hear things in the music you mere mortals can't"

Old 12-19-2010, 12:49 PM

That's good to hear. I'll just wait for the real review...

Old 12-19-2010, 12:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

That's because that reviewer is being a "prat", and PRaT has nothing to do with it!!!

Last edited by The DarkSide; 12-19-2010 at 01:05 PM.

Old 12-19-2010, 01:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
That's because that reviewer is being a "prat", and PRaT has nothing to do with it!!!
Win!

Last edited by Marvin the Martian; 12-19-2010 at 01:11 PM.

Old 12-19-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
That's because that review is being a "prat", and PRaT has nothing to do with it!!!
At least someone is better in googling than I am...

Old 12-19-2010, 01:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Sorry, I meant to say "reviewer", not "review",...corrected.