android
Old 09-21-2010, 12:25 PM

Default Zune inside Windows Phone 7 (looking for info)

Hey everybody, Windows Phones are close to their official launch and i want to find some additional information about their Zune part...Are there any news about supported file formats? Will they use the current Zune software for syncing as the Zune HD does?

I'm trying to decide between WP7 and an Android phone...both have great hardware, but i don't want to do the same mistake that i did with Zune HD software/specs...The Android phone has full support for almost every audio/video format without obligatory syncing software. What about Zune inside WP7 phones...? I really love the interface, but i want free syncing (without specific software).

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-21-2010, 02:25 PM
Zune Moderator

You have to use the zune software, so go for Android

Old 09-21-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuniq View Post
Hey everybody, Windows Phones are close to their official launch and i want to find some additional information about their Zune part...Are there any news about supported file formats? Will they use the current Zune software for syncing as the Zune HD does?

I'm trying to decide between WP7 and an Android phone...both have great hardware, but i don't want to do the same mistake that i did with Zune HD software/specs...The Android phone has full support for almost every audio/video format without obligatory syncing software. What about Zune inside WP7 phones...? I really love the interface, but i want free syncing (without specific software).
All 99% of all phones need software in order to sync suff from your PC dood. but Android phones use Micro SD so you can sync
suff on your computer with out any software. but to do this you do need a Micro SD slot which there are two ways to do this,
one way is if your computer already has Micro SD slot build in or two, you have to buy a USB to Micro SD for your computer.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:15 PM

I own mutiple WM(6.5)/Android phones and windows definitely has much better codec support. I doubt windows phone 7 would lock you down to zune for music syncing because its a very versatile platform (office mobile, exchange, multimedia,etc) which requires access to basic mass storage mode.

WP7 codec support: http://www.uxmagic.com/blog/post/201...c-Support.aspx
Android codec support: http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&h...7a1c3c62b92b94

Huge difference.

EDIT: I forgot about the new Rockbox port for Android which allows you to use many different (audio) formats. Though, for native support I would go with WP7.

Last edited by agalloch; 09-21-2010 at 04:23 PM. Reason: .

Old 09-21-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agalloch View Post
I own mutiple WM(6.5)/Android phones and windows definitely has much better codec support. I doubt windows phone 7 would lock you down to zune for music syncing because its a very versatile platform (office mobile, exchange, multimedia,etc) which requires access to basic mass storage mode.

WP7 codec support: http://www.uxmagic.com/blog/post/201...c-Support.aspx
Android codec support: http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&h...7a1c3c62b92b94

Huge difference.

EDIT: I forgot about the new Rockbox port for Android which allows you to use many different (audio) formats. Though, for native support I would go with WP7.
WP7 is going to be locked down to Zune Client software. I think the Zune software is great and makes syncing media to a device very easy. The codec support will be there. But it really is just up to you.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:10 AM

Thank you all, I don't know what I'll do yet...I'm waiting to take a closer look on some WP7 phones...I definitely like WP7 interface...

Old 09-22-2010, 09:16 AM

I have to say if media codecs are really the deciding factor, the android platform probably isn't what you want. tru there is an app for pretty much every audio and video codec out there but every app i have tried seriously screws up the quality of the video. MP4 and H.264 play flawlessly, as well as MWA and MP3 audio...but beyond that, it is not a perfect media player. i have a feeling MP7 will have the same format support as the HD does currently and maybe even more later on down the road.

but i have to say Android is AMAZING pretty soon someone will come up with a WP7 like home replacement so you can have an android phone that looks like all main competing OS's (iOS, WP7, and android, as well as a Zune HD like UI)

Old 09-22-2010, 10:04 AM
ABI Founder

I dont think you can loose with either Android or WP7. I will be switching to WP7 from an Android phone. Here are my reasons but keep in mind that these are my personal reasons and may not apply to you but may help you make a better decision.

HTC Incredible to WP7.

UI
Android is incredibly powerful and does everything i could eve want it to do, but it lacks polish along with a disjointed feeling of the core of what i want a phone for contacts calendar and general organization. HTC sense tried to fix this but screwed it up even more. With WP7 this experience is much more fluid. Also keep in mind i carried a KIN for several months and i see how well this fluency of contacts works- its what i loved about the KIN. WP7 is KIN on steroids.

Google Ecosystem and Privacy.
The Google ecosystem and the way it ties into the phone is awesome. Navigation, Gmail, Chrome to phone, and many of the google tools have treaded me very well- other than lacking polish Google's services do most of what i want.

But i grow uncomfortable with Google's privacy invasion and the ability for employees to look at whatever data you store on google servers. See this article: http://searchengineland.com/if-futur...he-world-51012 Slowly i have backed out of using Gmail and no longer use or archive emails there. I moved exclusivity to my own mail server.

In short, it really comes down to a personal preference, they both are great phones. Some features may tip you one way or the other. These are just my nitpicking choices that tip me towards WP7. Hope it helps you decide for yourself.

As far as codecs, i just need to play MP3 or stream from a music service, both will do that well.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If the Windows phone 7 platform finally does multimedia right I'm dumping Android as well. And the lack of a polished UI, and the privacy issues are just 2 more gripes I have w/it. Android is good, don't get me wrong,.............but it's damn BORING!!!

Old 09-22-2010, 06:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Boring is why HTC puts it's own skin (Sense?) on top of android for Sprint. Of course the iPhone/Touch UI is also boring. What makes them both great though is the app stores each have. MS will have to prove it can really attract the same software developers to Phone 7 or they've already lost the long game.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:12 AM

I'm not talking about apps...i talk about freedom to do what you want...copy any file from any pc without special programs...this is the Reason I think Android is great. Galaxy S seems to have a huge file format support without the obligatory use of any software etc...but unfortunately, I'm a design freak...and WP7 looks REALLY fresh... :/