android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 09-20-2010, 01:19 PM

Default Looking for a pair of headphones (help a budding audiophile bloom)

I know this might sound silly, but I only recently realized the sound quality of my listening could be that much better than what people normally use. That said, I'm now looking into buying some headphones (and a player that can actually use them to their potential.)

I'm looking for a pair of headphones, preferably closed-back. I'd use them outside a lot and I fly quite a bit, so I need some proper sound isolation - either just in design or active noise-cancellation. I listen to quite a bit of everything, but I guess I judge them by how well they play electronic stuff, like Drum and Bass, Dubstep or House.

I'm thinking of buying either a pair of Denon AH-D2000's or Audio-Technica ATH M50's. You might be weirded out by my selection a bit, but let me explain, that's exactly why I'm asking for your advice.
In a perfect world, I'd have AH-D5000's. After reading about them and looking at the price tag, I've come to the conclusion that I'd be ashamed to feed such a pair of 'phones MP3s from an iPod; I'd rather get proper HiFi equipment and headphone amps to make sure those 'phones got the most fulfilling life they could get.
However, I've heard the D2000's work quite well on PMPs. I mean, an amp and stuff would make it better, but you can still get quite a pleasurable experience from listening through them while on the move. They're also a lot cheaper than the D5000's at around €250. What I'm asking is whether this would be a valid option or just using a motorbike to pedal to the grocery shop.
Then there's the ATH M50s. They are about two thirds of the price of the D2000's at €170, and seem like an good starting point. I've been looking around and I feel like they would be the best choice for under €200: Grado SR80's are beautiful, but they are too open for outside use; while Sennheisers get a lot of good reviews, they are just too ugly in my opinion; and AKGs are said to be very thin on bass. The M50s are monitor headphones and thus have quite a neutral sound, but I heard playing with the EQ can get you a pretty good bass. Would these be a good pair?
Opinions, suggestions, comments.. I'd appreciate anything.

Also, my first post here; I hope we can be friends. <3

Last edited by gebbss; 09-20-2010 at 03:31 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-20-2010, 01:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hey man, welcome to ABi...

Cannot help you with fullsize cans but stick around, I guarantee you will get some great suggestions.

This is indeed a great site - lots of friendly, helpful folks.

One word of advice though - don't throw the word "audiophile" around too much
cheers and good luck,
-lestatar
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 09-20-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
One word of advice though - don't throw the word "audiophile" around too much
I see. Would a phrase like 'headphone enthusiast' be better suited or should I just keep my mouth shut? :P

And thank you for the welcome - I'm looking forward to learning a lot from you guys.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebbss View Post
I see. Would a phrase like 'headphone enthusiast' be better suited or should I just keep my mouth shut? :P

And thank you for the welcome - I'm looking forward to learning a lot from you guys.
Sounds good to me.....welcome!

Old 09-20-2010, 03:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

D2000's barely isolate at all, and they have a real problem of sliding off my head. Plus the cable is probably the hardest to manage in a set of headphones I've ever owned so all in all, some of the worst "portable" full sized headphones I can think of, would rather use my ATH-a900's as they isolate, cords easier to manage and even though they are huge and bulky they sit on your head fairly well. Dont get me wrong they are great headphones and I love mine, I just cant imagine using them on the go.

If you really want the portable headphones the M50's would be the way to go. I prefer my Sennheiser HD25 SP's, the sound is quite similar a tad bit muddier, but the isolation is far better and they are easier to handle.

Then there is the Ultrasone HFI-780 which get alot of votes here because they are probably the single most popular full sized headphone here. Definitely more suited for portable then most other full sized headphones, still they abit too big for my personal portable taste. They also sound awfully similar to my ATH-a900's so I've never really thought much about actually getting them on sound characteristic merit alone.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:45 PM

Both Audio Technica models seems like worthy contenders and I should have a look those Ultrasones as well. At the moment though, when I haven't put on any of the three headphones yet, the M50s are winning on simply being cheaper compared to the others. I'll probably have to have a 'field day' and go around testing these, although I'm not quite sure where I'll find them where I live (Finland) since my first few google searches have returned naught (any advice Jack4L? )

EDIT: Actually, how different are the A900's to the A700's? The A700's seem to be around €130, which is a lot less than the A900's. The only listed difference seems to be slightly better response bandwidth and impedance. Are the A900's good enough to warrant the increased price?

EDIT EDIT: Okay, I'm going for the M50's; I read a few reviews and they generally left a good impression. The price isn't bad either.

Last edited by gebbss; 09-22-2010 at 11:36 AM.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Ah, Finland iss pretty bleak for headphones shopping, unless you like slightly over priced Sennhesiers ;D I've purchased all my headphones from abroad, usually on trips to other countries or then just via webshops.

As for A700 to A900 comparison, I havn't ever properly tested them, but they are the same size. Huge. If your at all looking for a slightly more portable setup I would go with the m50's. The sound signature is better suited for louder environments aswell. A900's do easily get drowned out by any sort of mechanical noise or rumbling like in a plane or on a bus.

Tags
denon ah-d2000 ath m50