android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players > General MP3 Player / PMP Discussion

Old 09-19-2010, 08:26 PM

Believe me, MP3 players are probably the last things I'd shout about in these days and times! Wanna talk politics? LOL

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-20-2010, 02:59 AM

i think you should stop your belligerent trolling, right here. right now.

Black Cowon J3 32 GB (Black Ringke Case) - no lousy Sennheiser CX 300 anymore, Pana HJE 900 took the throne... for keeps

Old 09-20-2010, 04:19 AM
Administrator

I don't see any trolling. I see a person that has a positive experience with one brand a very negative experience with another. As he indicates he does have the right to express that opinion. Considering his very civil tone in his other posts I doubt he realized that a font change in that fashion is generally considered as shouting.

Over here CarlB57 has said he's are buying a new 16GB Zen MX. I would like to hear his hands on opinions of the newer crop of Creatives. I just can't get enough information on these things. If his experience is truly different from mine I believe we can we always discuss it as long as we remain civil.

It's a big forum and we are all due our opinions, properly expressed.

In that vein deadohiosky, why do you believe the Sony is a better value than the Cowon? The price difference is $20. Gapless playback and truly usable equalizer would be worth at least that much for me. Once you add in the BBE sound effects, an on the player playlist, external speakers and the rest of laundry list of other features the Cowon seems a better value to me.

True enough the original request was for the player with the least features. I've found that people sometimes make that request because they don't realize the possibility to get a much more fully featured player for a relatively small difference in price. This may be one of those instances.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:06 AM

yeah, well i thought it was inappropriate... i found the font change alarming, although the message itself was not as aggressive in the end. that snippy commentary about politics... was an indicator that there might be a shit storm ahead. everybody is entitled to their opinion, no question that. again i thought this could get out of hand.

about the zen mx: AUS $139 (over at minidisc) is a bargain, as is the zen x-fi 2 at $149. i just know for myself, that the creative i've tested so far (although only for a few minutes) aren't anything to shout about ( esp. eq), and heard not so nice stories about the external memory implementation. furthermore i wasn't really thrilled by the ui.

considering the price in aus the iaudio 9 also is rather cheap. i think i had the german prizes in mind when i wrote this. the 16 gb version costs 185€, US242, here.

my beef, however, with the iaudio 9 is controls. touch controls are way to trendy for my taste. tactile is the way to go, if you want a "mobile" mp3 player. adding to that, the OP didn't state that he wanted video support, so i looked for the best bang for the buck players. the i9 wasn't.

sony or sansa with their easy to use controls/ui/price-performance ratio were the brands that came to my head immediately while having a look at prizing policy of australian web stores. australia is pretty fucked when it comes to electronics/gadgets, was my observation from far far way.

Black Cowon J3 32 GB (Black Ringke Case) - no lousy Sennheiser CX 300 anymore, Pana HJE 900 took the throne... for keeps

Old 09-20-2010, 06:41 PM

Wow, never been called a troll before. Didn't realize a font change would cause issue. I did it to differentiate my reply from the quote. My last comment was simply meant to say that MP3 players are, in the end, a pretty trivial thing and certainly not something to get angry about.

Maybe from this point on I'll just read the various threads and keep my opinions to myself. It appears on this board that you must have first hand experience with every player made and a million Gs of music to contribute.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

CarlB57: Don't get down and please don't be too upset. Stuff like this happens all the time online - simple misunderstandings. Blame the medium...deadohiosky had all the right intentions. Let's just forget the whole thing, eh?

We are not jackasses here. Opinions are welcome and in fact encouraged - just blind repetitive evangelism is frowned upon. And sure, like everything else in life, opinions do have a bit more weight if one has actual personal experience to draw upon, but feel free to weigh in. Lively discussion is healthy as long as everything stays respectful and friendly. We all benefit from a good discussion! And remember, we are all here for basically the same reasons - cause we love music/gear and want to explore alternatives to iPods.

Stick around...
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 09-20-2010, 07:41 PM

Appreciate it, Lestatar. Believe me, I'm not going to let the "hyper-sensitivity" on this board get me down. Like I said, MP3 players are a trivial thing to me and I can certainly enjoy this board and learn from it without posting.

Also, and unfortunately, avoiding "blind repetitive evangelism" may be impossible for me since I have little experience with players other than Creative, Sony and Apple and my only positive experience has been with the Zen. My intent on this thread was to identify for the OP a player he might be interested in that meets his specified requirements. It really does seem to me that contributors to this board are quick to throw the Zen, and anyone who recommends them, under the bus. I have no problem with that - just don't call me a troll.

I will say that I got a nice chuckle when my font change was considered "alarming." Alarming? Come on. And as far as I know, shouting is ALL CAPS.

By the way, I also appreciate your contributions to this board. I sincerely hope you're wrong about the new Zens, though, and that's why I said in a different thread that I'd give you my opinion of the new one I have coming. (Of course, you already know what I'll be comparing it to, so take it for what it's worth.) Thanks again.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

No worries CarlB57. Like I said many times before, I personally love the old Creative stuff. Just from what I have observed in person, the new stuff is subpar compared to the rest of the field... FOR ME.

I don't hate on Creative, more like disappointed. Most of the more vocal critics of Creative also feel similarly. On another thread, I wrote that perhaps, like jilted lovers, we are all sad, bitter and disappointed. Thus the seemingly harsh vitriol against current Creatives.

Still, I defend to my last breath everyone's right to choose. I love that there are a pretty good field of choices to choose from out there still, in 2010 and that Apple's plans for global domination have not been completed.

I do always want to hear folks' firsthand opinions on stuff. Even if I don't agree, I personally learn from most of what I read everyday here on ABi.

This is one reason I like this place so much and continue to be annoying and stick around lol

cheers and enjoy it...
-lestatar
aka
peacemaker
aka
Kissinger
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Tags
16gb, featureless, fm radio, wma