android
Old 02-21-2010, 06:24 AM

Default How do I open one of these up?

I have an extra Sport NS-4v17 that has a bad screen. I want to open it up so that I can perhaps remove the battery and use it in another one of these, and/or figure out how these are put together. (I could probably use the Sport without a battery or useable screen as a flash drive, right?)

I've been trying to pry off the back, which is clearly what must be done, but I'm afraid of ruining something if I do it wrong. (It certainly doesn't come off easily!)

Any take-apart instructions, videos, photos, etc. would be appreciated.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-10-2010, 11:45 AM

Default How to open the NS-2V17.

Now that I've managed to work it out for myself, I'm posting the following for others who may be looking for an answer. The particular player I opened is the NS-2V17r (r for Rhapsody?), but it probably applies to all variants of the NS-2V17 and NS-4V17 models.
The screws that hold these players together are each covered by a piece of plastic that's square at one end and semi-circular at the other. They can be pried off with a knife point or small flat screwdriver (although two of the ones on a used player I have did not come off and I just punctured them). Once the screw at the top of the battery cover is removed, the cover (with the battery glued to it) can be lifted off pretty easily by lifting the flanges at the sides of the top. Once the top of the cover is lifted away from the body, the cover pulls out easily.
The above paragraph is a replacement for incorrect information I posted previously, before I realized that there was a screw holding down the cover.

I have also removed the other screws and separated the face plate from the body. It appears pretty certain, unfortunately, that the LCD is not removable and replaceable.

I'll post more info later, especially if anybody expresses any interest.

Last edited by aarons510; 06-14-2010 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Correction and addition.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:42 PM

Default How to open the NS-2V17.

Thank-you. Lost my old NS-DV4G, bought a few used 2V17's from ebay, but batteries getting tired. Peeling off the plastic solved it
=============================
aarons510 How to open the NS-2V17.
Now that I've managed to work it out for myself, I'm posting the following for others who may be looking for an answer. The particular player I opened is the NS-2V17r (r for Rhapsody?), but it probably applies to all variants of the NS-2V17 and NS-4V17 models.
The screws that hold these players together are each covered by a piece of plastic that's square at one end and semi-circular at the other. They can be pried off with a knife point or small flat screwdriver (although two of the ones on a used player I have did not come off and I just punctured them). Once the screw at the top of the battery cover is removed, the cover (with the battery glued to it) can be lifted off pretty easily by lifting the flanges at the sides of the top. Once the top of the cover is lifted away from the body, the cover pulls out easily.