android
Old 09-17-2010, 05:02 PM

Default Do TV shows on Youtube violate copyright?

Youtube has a lot of tv shows, which are in segments because of the video length limit. Popular shows from the major networks and almost any show on broadcast or cable tv these days. However, their upload policy says:
"Important: Do not upload any TV shows, music videos, music concerts, or commercials without permission unless they consist entirely of content you created yourself."

Why then are there so many tv shows posted? Are users posting tv shows without permission but nobody is doing anything about it?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-17-2010, 06:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Networks owning the copyright post them themselves, otherwise ask Google/YouTube to take them down.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:53 PM

I realize networks post their own shows sometimes but I was referring to the numerous other posts of TV and music video recordings made by other users, such as these: http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...episode+1&aq=0

There are probably thousands of recordings like this and I'm not going to ask youtube tor remove them. I'm just amazed there are so many uploads that are blatant copyright violations and nobody seems to do anything about them, unlike the RIAA and illegal music sharing.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If you'd lived outside the USA, you'd have a whole different image of Youtube. Half of the videos some American links me to show me a black screen with a message, "Due to copyright claims of Sony/BMG/Fisherprice/etc we cannot stream that video in your country".

That goes even for your average "funny pet" or "my best skateboarding jump" home video. Meaning, those huge corporations have people employed that actively monitor and/or censor each and every video that contains some copyrighted material.