android
Old 09-26-2010, 12:14 PM

Default S9 stuck at "System Starting" screen..wtf?!

i really dont know what happened. I have not messed with firmwares. I have not swaped UCIs or anything. The last thing i did was transfered pictures into the S9 while in MTP mode
(drag and drop into folder, i bypassed the image dimension windows warning warning.)
-Reset hole does not help.
-Is there another reset method??.
- Remember, I cant fromat in windows because it is in MTP mode!
However my computer does recognize the S9 and i am still able to transfer files to and from the S9.
Please dont tell me its bricked. I love my S9.

p.s
Last running firmware v2.53 and Using Claws UCI

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-26-2010, 01:28 PM

Don't panic, yet!

If your PC recognises the S9 then you can reflash the firmware, as it has probably just become corrupted. Give this a whirl then let us know what happens. Try reflash with 2.53 again, but do a fresh download from Cowon. If it doesn't try to upgrade when you turn it on, try go down to an earlier firmware, see it it fixes the problem, then go back to 2.53

Let us know how it goes!

Old 09-26-2010, 02:37 PM

But I thought firmware updates could only be done in MSC mode. My S9 was in MTP mode when it crashed. Am I still allowed to drop firmware files in MTP root folder?

Old 09-27-2010, 03:44 PM

Not sure on that one I'm afraid, as I always use mine in MSC mode. I think you need to give it a go regardless, and just see what happens. Keep us posted.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:55 PM

HAHAHA BRO IT WORKED!!!...whew i didnt wanna risk it but i said screw ill just reflash it..thankyou man...

Old 09-28-2010, 03:08 PM

No probs mate glad it's all ok!

Old 07-07-2011, 08:14 AM

I've got the same problem. No reason why it occured. I just plugged it into my laptop and deleted a 900mb folder with a 192kbs audiobook, stuck in another audiobook which took up about 700mb and clicked the safely remove button in windows.

Now, it freezes at "system startup" with the blue bar maybe 1/4 across. If I plug it back into my pc, it just startsup and freezes at the same point and it's not showing up in "My Computer". So re-flashing doesn't look possible.

Only way I manage to exit it is by using the reset pin hole at the back since I can't even turn it off using the off switch..

Is it over?

Update:
UPDATE:
Spoke to one of Cowon's UK distributors who said that there have been reports of Windows 7 x64 and one of the MAC OS's corrupting the system files on the S9, J3 and I-something or the other, lol. Apparently it's something Cowon are aware of and are trying to work on it. Apparently the Android firmware seems immune so the D3 is fine.

I was advised to try leaving it on the frozen screen till the battery runs out completely. Then plug it into my PC and see if that helps. some people have found this helps to reboot whatever the underlying cause of the stalled boot up is.

Last edited by ill_i_bus; 07-07-2011 at 09:31 AM.