android
Old 09-17-2010, 12:53 AM

Default from zen v plus to mosaic trouble

Hello all - great looking forum!

I've had two creative zen v plus, and really like them (despite having had them both die on me). The latest one got fried while plugged in to the lighter while I was driving down the road. I wanted to replace my mp3 player, and a friend happened to have a mosaic he was willing to part with.

So now I have the mosaic, and am trying to adjust. I'm having no problems with operation so far. But I am with loading. First I tried to plug in into my computer's usb and procede as I would with my v plus. The computer nor zen v series media explorer would recognize the mosaic.

So then I decided to try and download some software for the mosaic on line. I first tried Creative Centrale (ZENMozaic_PCApp_L4_1_16_02.exe). But when I went to install it it says I don't have the correct operating system... even though though I met the 'requirements' from the dl site (http://support.creative.com/Products...ctDetails.aspx). My os is Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 5.1 Service Pack 3.

Then I tried the other version of Creative Centrale available there (ZENMozaic_PCApp_L4_1_04_05.exe). That seemed to install fine. But, the program will not open. My computer does however recognize the mosaic now. I'm able to drag and drop files onto the player with Internet Explorer, and they show up and are able to be organized using Creative Mediasource 5 Organizer.

I suppose I should be able to do what I want with the Creative Organizer and IE. But anyone have any other ideas for me. Why can't I use zen v series explorer, and why won't centrale work?

Thanks -- Brian

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-17-2010, 01:11 AM
Ultra Senior Member

mrhokum: welcome to ABi...sorry for your woes.

I do not have a Zen Mosaic, however I do have a bunch of other older Zen players, including a Zen V+ and a couple of Zen Xtras. I manage all of these MTP devices flawlessly with Winamp, under Win XP SP2.

Suggest you install Winamp [and possibly MediaMonkey - the free full versions are all you need]. Give that a shot and see if they detect your Mosaic [which is an MTP device I believe].

You have nothing to lose at this point and if Winamp works, you can ditch the horrid Creative Centrale stuff.

cheers and good luck,
-lestatar
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 09-17-2010, 01:46 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Lestatar is correct, don't even bother with that horrid Creative software. I had a Mozaic for a little while, when I still had my XP Pro SP3 computer. Even WMP11 was better than Centrale, and that's saying something.....but I used Mediamonkey, and it worked just fine.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:03 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Lestatar is correct, don't even bother with that horrid Creative software. I had a Mozaic for a little while, when I still had my XP Pro SP3 computer. Even WMP11 was better than Centrale, and that's saying something.....but I used Mediamonkey, and it worked just fine. .... cool pic of Zen Mosaic snipped
So nice to be agreed with occasionally lol
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 10-01-2010, 12:11 PM

Thanks for all the help, I did download Mediamonkey. Seems like it will work fine, but I haven't really been using it much yet. Still just drag and dropping with IE, and organizing with Creative Mediasource 5 Organizer.

SO I have a question regarding how people organize their files. Like I mentioned I like to use the drag and drop to add or remove albums from the player. It seems the easiest way to access and play the albums is using the artist list. But if I come across a compilation it won't come up together as an album, it's just listed by each artist on the comp. So I've been selecting and playing by album. Works great for comps and album titles I recognize, but not so great for album titles I'm not as familiar with. So I end up changing the album titles with Creative Mediasource 5 Organizer so they include the artist then the album.

This works great, but is rather time consuming. I'd love to hear if anyone else has a good solution to this problem. Or of a quicker way to do what I'm doing.

thanks again - Brian

Old 10-01-2010, 12:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhokum View Post
Thanks for all the help, I did download Mediamonkey. Seems like it will work fine, but I haven't really been using it much yet. Still just drag and dropping with IE, and organizing with Creative Mediasource 5 Organizer.

SO I have a question regarding how people organize their files. Like I mentioned I like to use the drag and drop to add or remove albums from the player. It seems the easiest way to access and play the albums is using the artist list. But if I come across a compilation it won't come up together as an album, it's just listed by each artist on the comp. So I've been selecting and playing by album. Works great for comps and album titles I recognize, but not so great for album titles I'm not as familiar with. So I end up changing the album titles with Creative Mediasource 5 Organizer so they include the artist then the album.

This works great, but is rather time consuming. I'd love to hear if anyone else has a good solution to this problem. Or of a quicker way to do what I'm doing.

thanks again - Brian
Hey, your issue with compilations/various artists is common. However, you will have to do some legwork with ID3 tagging to get things sorted out, especially in a manner that works for you.

First, for all my ID3 tagging [which is for every single audio file I have], i exclusively use mp3tag: http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Next, you will need to decide the naming/tagging convention that works for you.

For me as an example, I always do this:
Album: Voices
Various Artists

So I tag and make my filenames like this:

Various Artists - Voices - 02 - Who Wants To Live Forever [Sarah Brightman].mp3

Various Artists - Voices - 03 - Mama [Luciano Pavarotti].mp3

etc, etc...

Get it?

For me the above makes the most sense. YMMV. Regardless, it sounds like you need to come up with some kind of consistent system for yourself to avoid the hassles you mention.

hth and cheers,
-lestatar
A Glossary for Newbies