android
Old 09-15-2010, 07:37 PM
General Audio Moderator

Default Favorite DS games of 2010

So what are your favorite ds games of 2010 ? Just got it today but it is on top of my list :P :

The latest in the professor layton series localized for English markets is amazing. Great story, great hand drawn graphics, very good ost , excellent voice over. Other than that I would say dragon quest 9 is pretty awesome as well.

Last edited by yuki; 09-15-2010 at 07:45 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-15-2010, 08:23 PM

I haven't played my DS in so long! I'm interested in what people might have to say in this thread.

That's all.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:34 AM
Ultra Senior Member

It's maybe a bit early for 2010 favorites, since some quite big titles should be released soon (Golden Sun 3, Okamiden, FF4, etc) but here's my favorites so far:
  • Professor Layton - Unwound Future (duh! )
  • Ace Attorney Investigations - Miles Edgeworth (double duh!)
  • Alice in Wonderland (tie-in with Burton's movie, but the exact opposite of shovelware - unique and well designed in every way)
  • Lego Harry Potter (absolutely addictive - gotta reach 100%!, also one of the best soundtracks on the DS so far)
  • Picross 3D (the best puzzle game ever - period)
  • DQ9 (really non-boring and well made for a JRPG, not as whiney and emo as most other big titles of that genre)
  • Rooms - The Main Building (great puzzler, unique and fresh gameplay)
  • Where the Wild Things Are (tie-in with the movie, easy puzzle/platformer with excellent atmosphere)
  • Dream Chronicles ("casual" adventure with great atmosphere, something like Drawn - The Painted Tower)
  • Again (Not as good as its ancestor Hotel Dusk, but still good)
  • Runaway - Twist of Fate (better on the PC, but not so many true point&click adventures on the DS lately)
  • So Blonde - Back to the Island (same as Runaway)

Of course Legend of Zelda - Spirit Tracks deserves a more than honorable mention, even if it was released in December 2009.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:41 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
It's maybe a bit early for 2010 favorites
Well, in the meantime Last Window was released, and it might be one of the better games of the year as well.

And here's a load of new Capcom trailers and teasers:

Old 09-17-2010, 11:04 AM
General Audio Moderator

Seems like both capcom and level 5 have and are continuing to release some of the best games for the ds so far. Dragon quest being a level 5 game re-branded as a squeenix game.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:35 AM

I've been busy with the PSP's great lineup (Ys 7, KH:BBS, Ace Combat, Valkyria Chronicles 2 and soon to be Phantasy Star Portable 2)

But my favorite has been Strange Journey. It will probably be replaced with The Last Window, the sequel of Hotel Dusk, pretty soon though.
Broken/Lost: Sansa Clip, RE0 ;_;, JVC FX500 ;_;

Old 11-27-2010, 11:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

999 turned out to be one of the very best games of the year. Definitely up there with Layton. Destructoid gave it 100% in their review: http://www.destructoid.com/review-ni...s-187838.phtml

Old 11-27-2010, 11:37 AM
General Audio Moderator

999 looks great , given it got a good review it may be a sign that more novel style games will be getting translated / localized. I have been obsessed with the 3rd rune factory personally.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:26 AM
General Audio Moderator

Finally started playing, it is beyond amazing. The one thing my flatmate pointed out to me is that it is an M rated game on the ds (i do not have any but this one). It seems even the shitty call of degenerates game is only rated t for the ds while the ps3 / 360 / pc versions are m rated.

Any how as the game goes , it is most excellent , it is a mix between visual novel, sierra / lucas arts based adventure and myst style puzzles. This is a must have if you own a ds , if you don not have a ds well you suck and need one to play this game

Old 12-04-2010, 12:38 AM
ABI Invaluable

Dude i have the same guitar tuner, the one in the back

That is all i have to add to the discussion.
Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677

Old 12-04-2010, 01:44 PM

Pokémon Black and White are, of course, the best games ever.

Other great games of this year include Okamiden, Sonic Colours, Lufia - Curse of the Sinistrals, **********DS (surprisingly, it does a great job at turning an MMORPG into a single-player RPG), Final Fantasy - The Four Heroes of Light, Golden Sun - Dark Dawn and Etrian Odyssey 3.

The DS is dying, though, slowly but steadily. It's a shame, because it was a great console. I'll remember you, darling. <3

Old 12-04-2010, 04:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Can't wait for a localized Okamiden... it's just no good without understanding anything you're doing trial-and-error-style in the Japanese version.

Golden Sun has great graphics and sound, but I wish the boring cliché characters would shut the hell up from time to time. The dialogues are just awful. Maybe I give it a serious try after I finished 999 for the 6th time.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
999 turned out to be one of the very best games of the year. Definitely up there with Layton. Destructoid gave it 100% in their review: http://www.destructoid.com/review-ni...s-187838.phtml

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=869azSXO1BI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYeQRZPl6sA
Oh man, Destructoid. Jim Sterling is possibly the most amusing guy I've ever seen. A lot of his reviews are goddamn jokes. Especially his Vanquish review.

Anyway, 999 has intrigued me for a while. I am fond of what Aksys does, so I'll buy it. I guess Dark Dawn will have to wait.
Broken/Lost: Sansa Clip, RE0 ;_;, JVC FX500 ;_;

Old 12-04-2010, 11:19 PM
General Audio Moderator

999 is the best novel game I have played in years , it is truly excellent in every way. I liken it to one of those good hallucinogenic drugs , you start playing, 5 hours pass and you realize wow 5 hours just passed and it seemed like you were only playing for a few minutes. The story just sucks you in , not in hours but in the first few sentences. The game left an impression on me, so much so i had a night terror and dream about the game last night that woke me. I had to check the window in my room to make sure it was not open :P... A game or movie has never did that to me , I liken it to Kafka's "Der Process" in that it is leaving a lasting impression on me and that book also gave me night terrors , and not because of gore.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:54 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Ninokuni, the Ghibli DS game is out in Japan:

Localize it. Now. Please.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Unboxing videos are usually the most boring stuff ever - but this one is worth watching.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:58 PM

DS gets phased out as the 3DS is supposed to come in.
For Europe's 2010:
Phantasy Star Zero, I loved Phantasy Star Online and this game doesn't really fall short of that.

I've tried Pokemon Black/White on a friend's DS, the battle animations are amazing. I'm probably going to get White when it comes out.

Haven't had much time playing my DS this year, but not many titles appealed to me.