android
Old 09-13-2010, 08:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Default Bored? Minesweeper tips?

Hey all, I'm bored, and thus playing minesweeper (what other reason, really?) and was wondering, if any of you play it, do you have a better starting strategy than clicking randomly or choosing the four corners?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-13-2010, 08:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hey, got pretty good back in the day...but no, I never found a better way for me than simply random clicking at the start.

But i learned not to click too fast...sometimes i got a great opening spread/reveal and then blew it by clicking again too soon before I realized how good an opening i got...

Bored? Try this one: My fave time waster in the last 6-8 months...sooo cute and addicting:
http://www.popcap.com/games/pvz
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 09-13-2010, 10:24 PM

Lestatar is right.

I never cared to read the instructions of this intuitive game, therefore,
it took me a while before I discovered the "chaining" method.

Playing on expert is much less tedious if you use chaining. Chaining also improve your score on any levels.

Just in case you don't know about it, here's how chaining work:

If the position of all mines are marked around a number, you can click on that number with the right and left mouse buttons simultaneously. This will open at once all the unopened and unmarked squares around that number. You can save many mouse clicks this way, hence, you save some time.

I used to play a lot of minesweeper, but I gave up because on the expert level, the situations where you have no choice but to take a guess were happening too often, and the beginner/intermediate levels are too easy. From memory, my best times are 6 seconds for beginner, 40 seconds intermediate and well under 200 for expert.

Last edited by JSV; 09-13-2010 at 10:43 PM.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Crap! Those first 2 times beat mine [8 seconds, 17 seconds] but I win on expert [153 I think]....

No idea about that chaining method either...I must try again - thanks for the tip!

I am now hooked on Spider Solitare [after winning at will on Freecell]...
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 09-13-2010, 11:08 PM

Lestatar. I edited my intermediate score after some thoughts. Only memory serves because my best scores were erased when I reinstalled Windows, and haven't played much since.

The six seconds on easy was pure luck.

If you got these scores WITHOUT chaining, then you can probably do quite much better with chaining.

Last edited by JSV; 09-13-2010 at 11:13 PM.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I used to play Spider Solitaire quite a fair bit till I rediscovered my Red Alert 2 CD...

I blow at Minesweeper though. :S

Old 09-14-2010, 01:14 AM

Minesweeper, I play it almost every other day to get to sleep or when I am listening to music(and do not want to concentrate on doing something else)

My best on expert I think is around 130... average I can hit consistently is around 160-180
Nice game without wasting too much brain cells

Old 09-14-2010, 11:40 AM

There are a few heuristics you can learn as well. The most obvious non-obvious one, if you follow my drift, is where you've got a line of explored area, and the sequence ? 2 1 2 ? at the boundary (or anything that amounts to the same thing, like if one of the 2s is a 3, but there's a mine behind it). Doesn't matter what the ?s are.

There must be a mine in front of the 1, and in front of the 2s must be safe, as a moment's thought will convince you. It's a bit like chess, in a diminished way - take your time to learn to recognise the simple patterns, and you don't have to think it through each time.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:54 AM

My best time on easy was 3 seconds. Yeah, I got lucky. The medium and hard modes didn't interest me because of the guesswork involved.

Go play robounicorn it's a much more masculine game.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:04 PM

What are you talking about guessing? That only happened to me once, and even then I think I wasn't paying enough attention. You can predict alot from just a few numbers, that's what the game's about, you can deduce where the bombs must be by going like "if in this area there are two bombs, they can be there or there, but in this area next to it is only one bomb, so they must be there." Kinda like Confuseling said, you can recognize those patterns later on.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:18 PM

Yes, but sometimes you just run out of options but to guess.

Luck is fine in multiplayer games, like Poker - it can keep things interesting. But in Solitaire games it's just frustrating getting a certain distance, and having to restart through no fault of your own.

That's why I play Freecell instead - it's been mathematically proven that every game is doable, so no luck involved (except insofar as some games are easier than others).

Old 09-14-2010, 01:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

There are indeed moments where guessing is unavoidable in Minesweeper, I have found. But still, for the most part, other than the opening moves, I found MSweeper to be a skill game.

Freecell is another one I was obsessed with. Once I got it down, I had an install of Freecell where I was like 97% victorious in over 1200 games as I recall [without cheating!! ]

I have one now where I am 100% after 139 games. As confuseling said, Freecell to me is the best because of it is 100% winnable - all skill, no luck.

Now can someone tell me how better to conquer Spider Solitaire? I am on medium and up to 50% win rate. I read somewhere this is pretty decent - can anyone verify? Am I doing OK or do I suck? lol

And I still say go grab Plants vs Zombies. If you love tower defense games, this is a no brainer. Available on torrents everywhere
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 09-14-2010, 01:44 PM

In case you haven't yet, try PySolFC - best Solitaire engine I've played.

Spider Solitaire I don't have a blinking clue about, afraid to say...

[P.S. that's a heck of a record! I thought I was good ]

Old 09-14-2010, 01:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Cool thanks Confuseling

As for the Freecell thing, yeah, i was pretty hooked...Every day at work i would hit like 5-10 games. Then I would copy the game files and play at home as well. Was a good streak I think
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 09-14-2010, 02:34 PM

Try it. Seriously. I know exactly what you're thinking; "Yeah, thanks for the tip, but why would I bother? Solitaire is solitaire - how good can it possibly be?"

Well, it's *that* good. **That** good. That, but written in giant letters entirely composed of asterisks, good.

There simply is no other computer solitaire game.

ETA - shock, horror, I've just googled it and apparently there are Freecell games (11,982 in the Microsoft variant, for example) which defy every effort by man or machine. I was absolutely sure I'd read that it had been proven solvable. Oh well... If it's true, there aren't many, anyway...

ETA2 - in fact, looking at this picture, it's obvious you're screwed. Can't say I understand the proof, but it sounds like he's thought about it!
http://people.cs.uu.nl/hansb/d.freecell/node2.html

Last edited by Confuseling; 09-14-2010 at 06:04 PM.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Haha I'm also an avid solitaire player... And I own about ten PopCap games (including Plants vs. Zombies, as linked to) because I happen to get bored a lot... But I play minesweeper when I'm waiting for my computer to load or just until my internet connection (which times out ALL THE TIME and requires the router to be reset >.< ) cause it's so quick to pull up. xD

Old 09-21-2010, 03:41 AM
Ultra Senior Member

@Confuseling: Just wanted to say I officially hate you. PsySol is indeed quite great.

A sweet package with a ton of games - productivity? What the hell is that??!??! lol

@Steinburger: How do you like Plants vs Zombies? I am completed hooked. Though at the risk of sounding immodest, I have pretty much mastered it. Need any tips? I am dying to pass on some knowledge here...
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 09-21-2010, 07:45 AM

Yeah, sorry about that!

You should be using the PySolFC (Fan Club) version, in case you aren't - the author of PySol has officially stopped development, passed the torch, and given it his blessing. It's basically the same, but with more games, and still getting bugs fixed (at least to some extent).

The thing I fell in love with is the automation. Right click on a card, and it moves (usually) to where you want it - once you get used to it, using a version without it is actually somewhat tedious.

It's also useful that it's modifiable - I've got a couple of OpenPeak OpenFrames I bought for giveaway prices, now happily divorced from the godforsaken operating system that O2 deigned to put on them, and they work awesomely for things like PySol, once you've made the scrollbars wide enough for touchscreen use.

Ain't open source awesome?

Last edited by Confuseling; 09-21-2010 at 07:50 AM.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

yah, i need to play with it. AS you can see i posted at 440AM...hardly messed around with it, but the package is impressive so far.

And yeah, I got the fanclub edition

still. hate. you.
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 09-21-2010, 07:20 PM

I get that a lot...

Once you've calmed down a little, let me know if you find any good games. The documentation is mostly non-existent, and some of them don't seem to work (sounds like open source to me...), so tips are good.

Apropos of the thread title; they say a mine clearance expert only makes two mistakes. The first is becoming a mine clearance expert...

Last edited by Confuseling; 09-21-2010 at 08:07 PM.