android
Old 12-21-2010, 06:38 AM
Banned

Default Nokia N8 'Audiophile Approved'

I thought this article was interesting, and good to know that phones can be 'audiophile approved.'

http://thenokiaguide.com/2010/12/19/...hile-approved/

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-21-2010, 06:54 AM

uhuh.

so, like there is a reason after all to buy that overpriced 12mp camera i can place calls with: it gives you audiophilis.

interestingly he didn't even have to compare it to another device, at least he doesn't say he did. he trusted himself and his "eidetic memory" that it would reproduce the sound like it's supposed to sound.
i guess it can reproduce brown noise/note accurately so that you can shit your pants in awe of this monolith of a device.

Black Cowon J3 32 GB (Black Ringke Case) - no lousy Sennheiser CX 300 anymore, Pana HJE 900 took the throne... for keeps

Old 12-21-2010, 06:57 AM
Banned

i'm guessing that it has ok sound quality, like other nokias, but his testing was more along the lines of 'just believe what I say.'

Old 12-21-2010, 07:01 AM

Here's a less retarded take on the phone's audio quality: http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n8-review-523p5.php

Seems GSMArena used a 32 Ohm dynamic driver load, results are certainly good. The "audiophile" guy used Shure SE530, some of the most picky, hardest to drive multi-armature IEMs. I wonder how RMAA results would look with them attached.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:08 AM
Banned

i like reading people's retarded takes on things, though.

Recently I saw an article advising on how, and why it was a good idea, to de-fragment a usb flash drive.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:10 AM

...it probably makes music stored on the flash drive sound better.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:38 AM

the nokia n8 is also supposed to have fantastic image quality and they've put up some impressive samples.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:06 AM

Hello!
Posting on this forum after a really long time.

I have a Nokia N8 and I do like its sound quality. As a comparison point, I currently use a Sansa Clip + Sennheiser CX300 II headphones and on the desktop I use the Xonar DG card. Using the same headphones, the N8 also sounds good but slightly less "vivid" than the other two sources. Compared to other smartphones, I have tried a Nokia E63 and it (E63) sounded awful overall. I would still definitely prefer the Sansa Clip for SQ, but the N8 is a good device too.

Three downsides of the music player

1. There is no option to do custom equalizer settings, you can only choose from one of the presets.

2. Nokia Podcasting (which was present on older Nokia devices) is not present. Symbian Podcatcher can be downloaded but its not as good as Nokia Podcasting and integration with music player is less than perfect.

3. Unicode support seems lacking. It did not display my Japanese tags.

Ask away other questions.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:14 AM
Banned

That's the thing with symbian: a lack of decnt apps - what they have is often old and clunky.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:09 AM
General Audio Moderator

"using some audiophile grade in-ear monitors (IEM) from Shure and 320kbps MP3 and Wav files"

that's is a quote from the review ... it made me glaze over in stupid , and that is when i stopped reading that shit :P