android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Software & Media > Media

Old 09-11-2010, 11:12 PM

Talking katy perry 320kbps vs kate perry 1141kbps

Hey guys i have a question for you...What are the diferrences between a mp3 song at 320kbps encoded and a song at 1141kbps encoded...Give me your oppinion
Here is something require before testing:
- Extract the "california gurls" song form the newest album of katy perry (Cd->flac,ape,wav...) to 2 kind: the first one is lossless type (flac,ape,wav...) and the second is mp3 type (320kbps encoder)..Then put them to your MP3 player and tell me what are the dif? thanks guys.
Just say what you think and what you hear

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-11-2010, 11:36 PM

Well at 1141kbps you getting 100% sound quality out of your CD when 320kb you getting around 98% sound quality.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:38 PM
Redneck Moderator

IMO its very hard to tell the difference from a good 320 to a flac. If I A-B them then I can't really tell the difference, the depth of the bass is what I notice the most. But as far as Katy Perry - California Gurls goes. I actually thought it sounded better with a bad radio reception versus a good mp3 rip.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
IMO its very hard to tell the difference from a good 320 to a flac. If I A-B them then I can't really tell the difference, the depth of the bass is what I notice the most. But as far as Katy Perry - California Gurls goes. I actually thought it sounded better with a bad radio reception versus a good mp3 rip.
roflmao....

@ OP: Indeed, the folks have explained the basic differences pretty well.
This is a case of lossless [the much higher bitrate] vs lossy [the mp3 at 320kbps].

Can you hear the difference? Truly? Reliably during a blind AB test using say, foobar2k? If you can accurately distinguish between the 2 more often than you are wrong, congratulations! You are that 1 in 1,000,000 person who has "golden ears" [this number is not factual, simply a hyperbolization to get a point across.]

If you do an AB test and you cannot tell the difference, then you are like 99% of the people on planet earth [yes, another hyperbolization].

If you fail to distinguish between the 2 reliably, then ask yourself:
- do I really need those huge lossless files on my space limited portable mp3 player, since I cannot tell the difference in sound over much smaller lossy files anyway?
- crap, that bus/subway/truck/wind noise/couple having an argument is really irritating and ruining my listening experience on the go...guess that huge but so pure and perfect lossless file would be wasted out here, huh

Better idea is to rip your CDs to something really good and lossless like FLAC or whatever your poison is. Then you can transcode to these to the lossy format of your choice [mp3, wma, ogg, whatever floats your boat], at the best bitrate you feel works for you, resulting in the smallest file sizes but keeping the music still sounding good to you.

The result? You can put a whole heckuva lot more music on your mp3 player with lossy files than with lossless files.

But in the end, they're your ears, your gear, your time, your money and your choice.

hth,
-lestatar
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 09-12-2010, 12:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

IMHO, rip to FLAC for storage, and re-encode to lossy formats for on the go enjoyment.

I don't have any Katy Perry CD's, nor do I have any interest in her songs, so I'd be unable to assist your... request?

Old 09-12-2010, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickysio View Post
IMHO, rip to FLAC for storage, and re-encode to lossy formats for on the go enjoyment.

I don't have any Katy Perry CD's, nor do I have any interest in her songs, so I'd be unable to assist your... request?
It's ok you can rip form any CD that you like to do this test..But remember don't rip from the CD that belong to all the traditional instrument like guitar for example (because maybe you can know what are differences exactly)...I mean you can rip from a hiphop or dance CD or something like that belong to the newest kind of music (just like the thing i required)..

Old 09-12-2010, 04:17 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I can't hear a difference between a FLAC and V0 VBR MP3 - in case anyone wonders what song I tried, it's Boyzone - Picture Of You. :S

ABX score = 4/10. :/ Odds don't even favour me.

Side note : It's a pain in the ass to click next trial.

Last edited by rickysio; 09-12-2010 at 04:27 AM.

Old 09-12-2010, 05:52 AM

What I want to know is why you chose her
Or this: A glossary for newbies
-Stuart, Twitter

Old 09-12-2010, 06:13 AM

i'm not a fan but i would like to chose it because the sound of the song ( I mean too many electronic instruments) Beside that she so hot in the binkini suit ) Have you done the test yet? its so funny....I listened it again and again and......agian ....I sound like crazy ) but i can't still find what make it different from each other nothing until now

Old 09-12-2010, 10:04 AM

Question - What are you listening through?

Old 09-12-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindBandit View Post
Well at 1141kbps you getting 100% sound quality out of your CD when 320kb you getting around 98% sound quality.
This isn't really accurate, but you get the idea, lossless is superior to lossy but not so much on a DAP.

FWIR her albums sound like crap so I would use lossy unless you have a good home setup.

More importantly though - chose better music.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:45 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I think it's more like FLAC = 100%, VBR V0 = 99.9999999999999999% for most.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:52 AM

Modern pop albums tend to be very highly compressed in an attempt to sound as loud as possible. This means that the original source already probably has loads of clipping and lost audio data. Moreover, the music is mixed to sound appealing on crappy radios and on the internet - there is very little sonic nuance present. Therefore, for modern pop music, using lossy compression is not that big a deal.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:57 AM

OK, I downloaded the FLAC of "California Gurls" and converted it to LAME -v0 (no need for 320k CBR, I rather compare to what I actually use).

The mixing/mastering of that track is seriously bad. There's so much grain, harmonic distortion, and compression/ducking artifacts throughout the frequency range (but especially the drums), it seems as LAME at -v0 indeed struggles to reproduce that track properly. A small difference to the original FLAC can be heard especially in the bass decay, in an ABX test. The original FLAC bass has longer decay, sounds fuller and punchier, the MP3 sounds thinner and resonates less.

However, I couldn't stand to ABX that track for a long time, due to the horrible brickwall mastering and painfully piercing hi-hats and cymbals. My ears got seriously fatigued after less than 5 minutes.

Seems LAME's psychoacoustic masking is optimized for "better" mastered music - seems it has to cope with so many artifacts from that awful song, it has to remove audible parts to maintain its given bitrate constraints. This is the first time I actually could ABX a -v0 track positively, but then again, I don't really listen to that kind of mainstream-radio-MTV-mastered music...

Old 09-12-2010, 11:10 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Gotta try them out if it's so bad... So I loaded up youtube - the FLAC's taking an awfully long time.

Suffice to say, my body actually twitched. That song has done something not even 16kbps music has done.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Seems LAME's psychoacoustic masking is optimized for "better" mastered music - seems it has to cope with so many artifacts from that awful song, it has to remove audible parts to maintain its given bitrate constraints. This is the first time I actually could ABX a -v0 track positively, but then again, I don't really listen to that kind of mainstream-radio-MTV-mastered music...
That's really interesting, I would have thought the difference would be nothing because it sounds so bad. . .

1st time ever?

Old 09-12-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
horrible brickwall mastering
Sounds like Metallica's latest album, some tracks even clip...

Old 09-29-2010, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Best review ever!

Old 09-30-2010, 07:20 AM

Quote:
I don't really listen to that kind of mainstream-radio-MTV-mastered music...
Wait, MTV plays music again?

Old 10-24-2010, 10:05 AM

I did the test with Harman Kardon Soundsticks 2 and 320 kbps mp3 (encode with latest lame) but I didn't hear any difference so I used the J3 and the IE8 and I noticed a very small difference with the basses and the clarity at higher volume than I usually listen (at 5-6 while I listen at 1-4 normally except for classical music) but I didn't think it would be a so small difference...
I do notice the difference when it comes to trance music I really love, for instance with Armin Van Buuren, I think the tracks are generally very-well mastered and well, I have to have it in Flac . I switched from VBR v2 to Flac long ago and that sure was not stupid :O.

I hope my ears will get more and more accurate... I don't get it, I listen to very low volume, I try not to expose myself to loud noises : I don't go to concerts, dancings etc... But my father who's half deaf can actually hear the difference very easely (with blind tests !) ... Are actually people born with golden ears ? Can't you "train" you ears ?

I don't know why but there are badly mastered electronic tracks in Flac that won't pass through audiochecker, and for vinyl rips it's the same, though sometimes it does pass when well done.