android
Old 06-19-2006, 01:39 AM

Default mp3 player with best microphone?

hi, im new here. anyhow, im out searching for a mp3 player...and it will be my first one, sort of. but in particular, im looking for a mp3 player that has a very senstive microphone and records at a high quality. why? because i'd like to be able to record college lectures when school starts. so, any suggestions? or will i just have to buy a regular and seperate voice recorder?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-19-2006, 03:29 AM

Ok, first thing WE wanna know, in order to help you is : how much memory do you want/need? and how much are you willing to pay?

Almost all Creative mp3 players are equipped with microphones, so wether you are looking for a small flash-based player, or a larger capacity HDD player, they all have mikes.

PlayForSure is a good site for choosing players, though a few time times, when I use it, I find it a bit buggy, have a look on that, but I suggest aasking the people here, who actually know what they are talking about, and have a bit of experience in this field.

Atrax

Old 06-19-2006, 01:34 PM

All Cowon devices have built-in mics too. They also support more (including better) formats than what the Creative devices do, and are generally more accommodating, since they can be used on any computer that has a USB port.

Old 06-19-2006, 01:36 PM

i do not care so much about how much memory there is or what the cost is (really, as long as its under $400). again, my priority is just to get a mp3 player with a GOOD microphone. i know that there are now numerous players on the market with microphones, but i'm wondering if theres a particular player that has an extraordinary good microphone, one that's sensitive enough to pick up a professor lecturing across a room while also recording at a quality that makes the recording clear to the ear. otherwise, i'll just have to end up buying a mp3 player for my music use and a voice recorder for my voice recording. i'd just rather have a 2-in-1 device for my two purposes. thanks.

Last edited by dalxc; 06-19-2006 at 01:39 PM.

Old 06-19-2006, 05:02 PM
ABI Founder

Try these:
  • M-Audio ($500 I think it needs a seperate mic)
  • EDIROL R-09 ($400 more pro recording than DAP)
  • iAudio X5 ($250-350 more DAP than MP3 player)

Old 06-19-2006, 06:08 PM

thanks enzoten for the suggestions, i'll look into these players, esp the x5 because i've heard/read great things about that player, although, it does seem a bit hefty. any other suggestions? otherwise, i may just decide on the x5...

[EDIT] what about the other iaudio players?

Last edited by dalxc; 06-19-2006 at 06:28 PM.

Old 06-19-2006, 08:28 PM

All HDD-based devices have the unfortunate affect of the built-in mic picking up the sound of the spinning harddrive on the recordings. So if you want to eliminate that noise, youíll have to go with a flash-based device (or make sure that you can use an external mic).

My experience is with the iAudio G3 (my favorite design of all personal audio devices, in terms of playing audio). I donít know how it performs in a college lecture recording situation though. I do know that it picks up every button push and vibration imput on the casing (probably due to a design caviate which has the internal mic misalligned with the mic-holes in the casing). Whenever I make a recording during a service at my church, I isolate vibrations by putting down a piece of rolled-up fleece between the device and the seat, which gives results that are good enough to listen to again (depending on what level I had the mic volume set at). Then again, the sounds I'm recording are usually coming from speakers in the celing in addition to acoustically from the stage.

The U3 might be especially nice, as it has the ability to use an external, unpowered mic plugged into its line-in jack (this scheme doesnít work with most other personal audio devices - the other iAudios included).

There are forums specific to each iAudio device at iAudiophile.net, which you can browse, search, an post questions at.

Old 06-19-2006, 11:43 PM

ah, thanks 608zz. i was looking at that forum earlier today, before you mentioned it in this post, and checked out the u3 too. it seems like a good choice (the external mic options seems appealing). i think i'll probably be getting that now. thanks for your input.

[edit] any suggestions on external mics, one i could carry in a backpack?

Last edited by dalxc; 06-19-2006 at 11:57 PM.

Old 06-20-2006, 12:17 AM
ABI Founder

Here is my iAudio U3 review

It is one of my favorite flash players. It is just a good all around well made player.

Old 06-20-2006, 12:29 AM

nice review. how's the mic? do you think an external one is neccesary, and if so, any suggestions?

Old 06-20-2006, 02:46 AM

Im not saying to get this, because by the looks of it, you're already getting the U3, but I just wanted to say, iv read lots of reviews of the mike on the ZV:M, and have tersted it out myself, it even picked my friend humming across the other side of the classroom, and on the reviews, they said that (the ones in uni) that it recorded lectures perfectly, now, the ZV:M mike is in no way AMAZING or better than the others, im just saying, most mikes, unless they are obvious peices of crap, will do the job fine.

Atrax

Old 06-20-2006, 06:31 AM
ABI Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalxc
nice review. how's the mic? do you think an external one is neccesary, and if so, any suggestions?
I dont know as far as lectures but, it worked well around the house. I dont know if a mic neccesary, but if you hooked up a directional mic it may improve things. The nice thing about the U3 is that the sensitivity can be set 1 though 4 or on Auto.

Old 06-20-2006, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoTen
The nice thing about the U3 is that the sensitivity can be set 1 though 4 or on Auto.
That actually seems like a limitation, as the earlier series (U2, G3, i5) offers levels 1-10 in addition to auto. To me, the nice things about the U3 are the ability to use an external mic and the ability to load it up with 2GB worth of OGG files.

There could be devices with a fantastic new recording feature on the horizon. The Sigmatel STMP-3600 chip has hardware-based support for FLAC. Hopefully, devices that thoughtfully use that chip will offer recording in that format. The advantage will be that you can upload your recordings to your host computer, where you can then convert them to any format you want, at any bitrate/quality you want, without having to accept any loss associated with conversion.

Expect companies with "open" philosophies such as Cowon, Archos, and Neuros to be the ones to impliment such a feature, if they ever use the STMP-3600.

Old 06-20-2006, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrax
Im not saying to get this, because by the looks of it, you're already getting the U3, but I just wanted to say, iv read lots of reviews of the mike on the ZV:M, and have tersted it out myself, it even picked my friend humming across the other side of the classroom, and on the reviews, they said that (the ones in uni) that it recorded lectures perfectly, now, the ZV:M mike is in no way AMAZING or better than the others, im just saying, most mikes, unless they are obvious peices of crap, will do the job fine.

Atrax
after your post, i would consider getting that as well. the extra space would be awesome, although not altogether necessary for me at least. even so, i think i would still get the u3 because im afraid of two things about the zv:m - 1) reliablity: its a hard drive and im afraid that will wear out faster than flash memory, 2) its more expensive. but thanks atrax; my assumption was that most players on the market had questionable mics. i tested this mp3 player with a mic last night i got off my friend for 10 bucks a while ago (its like a no-name brand with only 128mb of memory) and the mic actually seemed to work pretty decently (the recording was at 192kps, which helped i suppose).

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoTen
I dont know as far as lectures but, it worked well around the house. I dont know if a mic neccesary, but if you hooked up a directional mic it may improve things. The nice thing about the U3 is that the sensitivity can be set 1 though 4 or on Auto.
alrite, thanks enzoten. i'll probably play around with the u3 abit before i decide on buying a mic. i browsed around amazon and the mics seem somewhat expensive ($50+). so yeah, i'll definitely check its quality first before i get an external mic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 608zz
That actually seems like a limitation, as the earlier series (U2, G3, i5) offers levels 1-10 in addition to auto. To me, the nice things about the U3 are the ability to use an external mic and the ability to load it up with 2GB worth of OGG files.

There could be devices with a fantastic new recording feature on the horizon. The Sigmatel STMP-3600 chip has hardware-based support for FLAC. Hopefully, devices that thoughtfully use that chip will offer recording in that format. The advantage will be that you can upload your recordings to your host computer, where you can then convert them to any format you want, at any bitrate/quality you want, without having to accept any loss associated with conversion.

Expect companies with "open" philosophies such as Cowon, Archos, and Neuros to be the ones to impliment such a feature, if they ever use the STMP-3600.
then i'll definitely be on the lookout for those players, hah.

i think i'll be using my u3 for another purpose too - my backup drive for my documents on my laptop (via syncback). ahh, i dont have it yet and im already loving it. thanks everyone for your advice.

[edit] ahh, and if i buy it directly from their site, i get a free ac charger, interesting..

Last edited by dalxc; 06-20-2006 at 05:29 PM.