android
Old 09-11-2010, 08:35 PM

Default Thinking of Selling my Zune HD

I've been pondering this question for sometime now and I'm somewhat curious as to the forums opinion. For awhile (since the Zune HD came out) I've been using my zune as my primary music player. Recently I went to the apple store while at the mall and played with the new iPod touches. I'm not new to the apple scene (I used to have a 2nd gen iPod touch), but these new iPods are very impressive. It seems it beats the Zune HD in every way I can think of. The new display on it is better than the zunes, it has more RAM, a better processor, the app store, a better browser, a camera, video chat, etc. The only thing holding back my decision was the Zune HDs radio. I listen to talk radio every night through my speakers (which don't have radio built in) and i absolutely need my talk radio. After doing some testing with my fathers iPhone I found an app that plays the station I listen to live.

It just seems like the new iPod Touch beats the Zune HD hands down and it doesn't seem like the Zune HD will be getting any absolutely killer apps (have you seen the Rage and Project Sword game demos for the iDevices?) in the near future.

What do you guys think?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-11-2010, 08:45 PM

It depends on what you want. If you want to listen to music, then the Zune HD is still better. Granted, I think there are better options out there, like the Cowon J3, but the Zune HD is still a very good player. However, the new touch has the HD beaten in every area other than music, IMO. Just like before, it all depends on what you want.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:25 PM

How does it have better music? When I compared the audio at the store it sounded the same to me. Granted the bios stuff is cool the few times I use it and I suppose if you had the zune pass it would be better (which I don't have).

Old 09-11-2010, 09:27 PM

The new Touch certainly is something to behold. I still prefer the form factor of the HD, and the fact that I can make apps for it for free in a language I understand is a big plus. But obviously, you may not share this reason.

I know I'm on a site called Anything But iPod, but really, just go with what you want. Isolate the devices from their fanbases, companies, and pop culture. Make an analytical choice. If the device you love is an iPod and you've got better reasons than, "Well it's an iPod", then more power to you.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, to me, it seems like you've already made up your mind. For you, I think the iPod is right, and for all your mentioned reasons. I think I should point out the (slight) price difference and dispute your claims about the screen. The screen is higher resolution with the new generation, I think, but if I'm not mistaken, the Zune's OLED screen is more power efficient, which is a big deal to me. Also, you mention not hearing a difference in audio quality, and that may be true if the headphones you use are the freebies, which isn't a big deal. But, if you eventually get curious as to why people spend hundreds of dollars on earbuds, well, the iPod won't show you quite as well as the Zune will. Ultimately, it's your choice, and I think (for you) that should be an iPod. :/

Old 09-11-2010, 11:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The Zune HD was a few steps behind the Touch when it first came out and hasn't caught up yet. With the new Touch there is now a whole flight of steps between them.

The ONLY place the Zune HD is better is in it's music app, HD Radio (if you have HD stations in your area) and if you prefer the OLED screen's contrast ratio. For apps, cheap cameras, bluetooth, and almost everything but sound quality and UI originality the Touch is better. It's also more expensive, so it should be.

Last edited by Olley; 09-12-2010 at 12:36 PM.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemic View Post
I've been pondering this question for sometime now and I'm somewhat curious as to the forums opinion. For awhile (since the Zune HD came out) I've been using my zune as my primary music player. Recently I went to the apple store while at the mall and played with the new iPod touches. I'm not new to the apple scene (I used to have a 2nd gen iPod touch), but these new iPods are very impressive. It seems it beats the Zune HD in every way I can think of. The new display on it is better than the zunes, it has more RAM, a better processor, the app store, a better browser, a camera, video chat, etc. The only thing holding back my decision was the Zune HDs radio. I listen to talk radio every night through my speakers (which don't have radio built in) and i absolutely need my talk radio. After doing some testing with my fathers iPhone I found an app that plays the station I listen to live.

It just seems like the new iPod Touch beats the Zune HD hands down and it doesn't seem like the Zune HD will be getting any absolutely killer apps (have you seen the Rage and Project Sword game demos for the iDevices?) in the near future.

What do you guys think?
I got a iTouch 4G & i can tell you this, for $229 for 8gb only problem i had is that all of my music was 256kb & 320kb but the iTouch 4G has 6.50gb of space out of 8gb so all of my music was over 6.50gb. iTunes told me that i got to put it on 128kb so all of my music can fit on the iTouch. other then that the iTouch is a beast of a MP3 player.

Internet browser is very nice & load 5x faster then the Zune HD with no page error what so ever. sound quality is a little bit better then the Zune HD & battery life too. iTouch 4G screen is freaking clear, sharper & bright full then the Zune HD but the Zune HD has better color.

As for apps on iTouch 4G, there alot of free apps like Facebook, Windows Live Messenger, Netflix. i have pretty much all of the free apps i use in my life on my iTouch 4G & i love it.

Go to the Apple store & bring your own earbuds or headphone so you can listing to the sound quality if you like it or not then you can decide if you want the Zune HD or buy a iTouch 4G.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:29 PM

If price is no object, then why not? Whatever makes you happy.

But just remember you made an investment in the Zune, and you won't get what you paid for it, most likely, if you were an early adopter. The iPod touch isn't cheap, either.

There's also the fact that the iPod touch requires iTunes, and even now with iTunes 10, that particular program is pretty sluggish and needy on a Windows system. It's not as tightly integrated as it would be on a Mac.

Either way you're walled in with official software, but I suppose you can jailbreak the iPod at least and use it like any other PMP with drag-n-drop.

I've had several iPod touches, and they always let me down in one way or another. Mostly, I think the worst thing about the touch is that they put that great, durable screen on it and then gave it the most delicate, easily-scratched back they could find, so you need a sturdy case anyway... And then it stops being a svelte, small device and gets bulkier as you try to protect your investment from getting all scratched up.

In the end, I sold mine because I don't feel like they can take being handled without kid gloves, and because-- as a former Mac user-- I just started disliking Apple's business practices. They purposely cripple the iPod touch (and other devices) so they can release a new version, or sell new software, with upgraded features.

1st gen didn't have a speaker or volume control.
2nd gen didn't have bluetooth, until they sold firmware that "unlocked" it.
3rd gen didn't have the front-facing camera, even though the tear-downs showed a place where it seemed to have been mounted before being removed prior to sale.

And so on. Every year, you end up upgrading to a new iPod touch or paying for the new firmware because it has features you were missing on your older touch.

That's Apple's business plan: Keep everyone buying a new iPod every two years, at least.

I gave up in the 3rd gen of the touch (and I also had nanos, original iPod, shuffles, etc.) -- I liked the touch, but Apple's way of doing things just felt slimy to me.

To each their own. If you think you can stop yourself from upgrading next year when the new iPod touch comes out with a feature that could easily have been activated on this model, then you're a strong-willed person and you'll do fine.

Me? I get an itch when I see a version of a gadget I own that does more than what I can do with mine.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroCorpse View Post
If price is no object, then why not? Whatever makes you happy.
I got the iTouch 4G because it has everything i ever in my life & don't care if iTouch 5G has GPS or or time machine i will not get it. if that was the issue i got my self a HTC Evo a long time ago. just as you said dude, get what ever you feel happy with.
sure some people are piss that i got a iTouch 4G but hey i have no smartphone, i rare use my PC other then steaming anime to my PS3. so i Touch 4G is great for me.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:37 AM

I just find it really hard to go without Zune Pass. That, the Zune PC software, and the player's better sound quality and interface makes it hard for me to make my 3rd Gen iPod Touch my media player. I still use my touch but only for games and a few apps. The 4G Touch is better in some ways than the 3G, but it doesn't really make any advancements in terms of its media playing ability.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshRead View Post
The 4G Touch is better in some ways than the 3G, but it doesn't really make any advancements in terms of its media playing ability.
Except for, well, customizable on-device playlists (which even the media-particular Zune HD can't manage).

Old 09-12-2010, 02:16 AM

Thumb Down

xvid support is a plus for me

Old 09-12-2010, 06:26 AM

I understand about the whole iTunes and zune software thing. I also absolutely hate iTunes, but I never used it much with my old iPod (synced all my music once). Also when I tested the music I did bring my headphones, I think there good they cost 70$ and there seniheisers (probably spelt wrong).

Thanks for opinions guys. I think I'm going to get the 32gig iPod.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:27 AM

For me, Zune HD and iPod Touch are based in almost the same stupid concepts like obligatory syncing through specific pc software, lack of flac support etc...both companies have their reasons to "lock" their devices with such an autocratic way (they could make the use of iTune and Zune optional just for the syncing of files), but these reasons mostly exist to secure their profits and not to please every user.

Obviously, iPod Touch is better for its money, because it offers much more features (some of them are even better than HD's). I don't support the opinion that HD is better for music...at the end, most owners of these players can't understand differences in sound quality and use the default headphones (or others with similar quality). Zune might have Zunepass and 1-2 other nice features, but these doesn't really make the device so much better for music to make a potential buyer think again over the myriad other features of an iPod Touch.

I bought my HD for its sound quality and the wonderful interface/design...I initially had some hope for apps and games but i can understand that MS made some marketing mistakes (or tricks to get more customers), like making most of the people to believe that they actively support games as a major feature...(after all it's written on the box and the graphics processor inside can definitely support it).

Anyway, personally i would buy some other device if i was in your place. Something autonomous, which you can connect and sync files with any computer without software installations etc...I would leave apps and games to superphones and be happy with just a good "walkman" and nothing more...

If you don't really love apps and games, you feel comfortable by using Zune software and don't want to buy another player than Touch, then i suggest you to keep using your Zune HD...it's really a fun device and despite its cons, it can't be worst than an iPod Touch for music...

Old 09-12-2010, 10:43 AM

If it wasn't for the Zune Pass, I am sure my family would own half a dozen iPods instead of half a dozen Zunes.

I like the navigation and the marketplace, related songs, artists, picks, bio's, smartdj, etc on the device but, without the integrated Zune Pass, I wouldn't really care much about most of those features or the Zune.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
Except for, well, customizable on-device playlists (which even the media-particular Zune HD can't manage).
I make custom playlists on my Zune HD pretty often.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:17 AM

who the fu** care about stupid camera, app store or any other stupid feature?
when i bought my zune hd, it was because of the amazing SQ and screen, not because I wanted a game machine, and even if I wanted a game machine, the PSP or the DS would have been a better choice then the touch.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:22 AM

Einav, clearly there's a market for an all-in-one device. I mean, it's a willing sacrifice to have all of these things in one even if they aren't top-notch individually instead of carrying around a pmp, a camera, a phone, and a game machine.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:33 AM

people who have the touch, usually don't care about SQ, so Y not buying a PSP, which has a bigger screen, better games and a good battery for those needs.

Apple just turned the touch into an Iphone, only without the phone, so I cant see a reason why not buying an Iphone instead of the touch

Old 09-12-2010, 11:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einav15 View Post
people who have the touch, usually don't care about SQ, so Y not buying a PSP, which has a bigger screen, better games and a good battery for those needs.

Apple just turned the touch into an Iphone, only without the phone, so I cant see a reason why not buying an Iphone instead of the touch
No expensive contract and data plan with the Touch, like there is with the iPhone.

Tags
ipod touch selling zunehd