android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-11-2010, 08:05 PM
sandyd sandyd is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3
Default Sony MDR-XD200 compatability with Sandisk players

I used to own a Sandisk Connect, until it broke. I used Sony's MDR-XD200 headphones with it, and I found that even when the player was cranked up to the highest volume, it struggled to produce sound in my headphones.

Im looking to pick up a new mp3 player, and ive narrowed it down to the Sandisk Sansa e280 and the Sandisk Fuze (v1)

Whatever player I decide to buy is going to be rockboxed.

Which of these players would produce a louder sound in my headphones?

Regards, Sandy

Last edited by sandyd; 09-11-2010 at 08:56 PM.
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #2  
Old 09-11-2010, 08:20 PM
WalkGood's Avatar
WalkGood WalkGood is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: FL
Posts: 12,579
Default

Donít think thereís a big difference between the two in output signal, itís kinda weak driving higher impedance phones. That said the sony MDR-XD200 are only 70 ohms and most players should drive them fine, if not another alternative would be to add an amp if you are set on those two, but I think that might be over kill. On another note, I would recommend the fuze as itís noted for much better sound quality.
__________________
WalkGood,
Ramůn

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 09-11-2010, 08:50 PM
sandyd sandyd is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Donít think thereís a big difference between the two in output signal, itís kinda weak driving higher impedance phones. That said the sony MDR-XD200 are only 70 ohms and most players should drive them fine, if not another alternative would be to add an amp if you are set on those two, but I think that might be over kill. On another note, I would recommend the fuze as itís noted for much better sound quality.
thanks!
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 09-11-2010, 08:51 PM
FreeZ5's Avatar
FreeZ5 FreeZ5 is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,497
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyd View Post
ive narrowed it down to the Sandisk Sansa e280 and the Sandisk Fuze (v1)
Before you go too far down the road....

e280 - hasn't been made for a long time - may have difficulty finding a new one

Fuze (v1) - very tough to tell a v1 from a v2 externally (if buying new, expect to get a v2) - best way to get a guaranteed v1 is to buy used from somebody knowledgable.

Steve
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 09-11-2010, 09:00 PM
sandyd sandyd is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
Before you go too far down the road....

e280 - hasn't been made for a long time - may have difficulty finding a new one

Fuze (v1) - very tough to tell a v1 from a v2 externally (if buying new, expect to get a v2) - best way to get a guaranteed v1 is to buy used from somebody knowledgable.

Steve
for the e280, theres an overstock store close to my house that sells them along with the Fuze. Ive checked the firmware (while the assistant's back was turned...) and its at 1.xxx, which means its still v1
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 09-11-2010, 10:06 PM
rickysio's Avatar
rickysio rickysio is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Singapore
Posts: 1,074
Default

Hmm, at worse, you could pick up a FiiO E5 to add some power.
__________________
Current Rig : SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 8GB Black | Sansa Fuze v2 2GB + 8GB | Hippo VB | Panasonic HJE900 | N900 32GB + 16GB
Graveyard :
FutureSonics Atrio | Cowon D2 16GB Black + 16GB SDHC | SoundMAGIC PL30 | Koss PortaPro | iPod Touch 2G 8GB
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 09-12-2010, 06:04 AM
WalkGood's Avatar
WalkGood WalkGood is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: FL
Posts: 12,579
Default

I did state adding an amp "might be over kill," for a reference I have driven my 300 ohm hd650s with an un-amped clip and they don't sound bad. Sure they're not running to their full potential but I don't think you'll have any problems driving a 70 ohm pair of headphones with either player ...
__________________
WalkGood,
Ramůn

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:30 PM.