android
Old 09-10-2010, 09:24 PM

Default Speakers on Zune HD

Does anyone else think Microsoft should put speakers on the HD? (Voice your comments).

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-10-2010, 09:28 PM

It wouldn't be a bad idea for times like when sharing something with a group of people on the fly. But the quality will definitely not be anything great compared to dedicated headphones. Would be a nice extra though.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:40 AM

I'm looking into a peripheral solution. Unfortunately, while I am armed with a map of the Zune dock connector's pin configuration, I am not armed with any knowledge of circuitry or soldering.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:57 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I've got a few devices with one or two speakers, and several with none. Yes, the sound isn't Hi-Fi. Yet after using players that have a speaker, I miss the speaker when using a player that doesn't have one. It's not for the music that a speaker is handy. It's for any audio confirmation that the thing is really outputting sound.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:05 PM

Having looked at the teardown of a Zune HD, I don't see any room for a speaker! If they added a speaker to the existing Zune HD design, it would end up being slightly bigger. Everything is jam-packed in there.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

New models get to be redesigned, and as parts get smaller and features combined on single chips the body can stay the same yet have more features. See the new thinner iPod Touch as an example. The iPad had so much space inside after critical parts were installed that they could fit two batteries in there to get their 10 hour life rating. The Samsung P3 and M1 have speakers, and the P3 is no bigger than the P2 that didn't have a speaker.

Last edited by Olley; 09-14-2010 at 10:25 PM.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I think it would be a good idea for sharing things with friends and whatnot, but what I'm leery of is price. Personally, if the ZuneHD was any more, I would have gone with a P3. If they can keep the price squarely 20 USD or so (hopefully a little more) below the iPod Touch, I say go for it.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:18 PM

I would have no use for them.