android
Old 09-10-2010, 10:03 AM

Default [question] j3 vs ipod touch 4g screen display

hi guys..

im debating which one would be better for watching videos..the touch's screen is :
  • 3.5-inch (diagonal) widescreen Multi-Touch display
  • 960640-pixel resolution at 326 pixels per inch
but the j3's is AMOLED with 16m colors...

any thoughts here? has anyone seen the two next to each other?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-11-2010, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudiadudia1 View Post
hi guys..

im debating which one would be better for watching videos..the touch's screen is :
but the j3's is AMOLED with 16m colors...

any thoughts here? has anyone seen the two next to each other?
Well since i have a iTouch 4G, the j3 has a AMOLED screen so get the j3 because it has better color then the iTouch 4G since you only want it for video right? i'm not saying that the iTouch 4G screen is bad it just lack a little bit of color that all. now if you have a Netflix account then iTouch 4G is for you.

[Pro's] Video only
  • Netflix support

[Con's]
  • iTouch 4G has a TFT LCD screen with LED backlit, which mean the colors are not AMOLED level but it's still a great freaking screen.

Last edited by BlindBandit; 09-12-2010 at 12:05 AM.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:11 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The iPod Touch 4G has a poorer screen than the iPhone 4. http://www.anandtech.com/show/3903/a...ans-iphone-4/2

J3 has a 242px x 480px screen, while the Touch 4G has a 960px x 640px screen, which will make videos much nicer to look at instead of being more blocky looking.

J3 has a higher contrast screen (infinite contrast ratio since black is black - 0 lumens) compared to the Touch 4G - colours will pop on the J3.

Touch 4G has much faster hardware - it'd be able to handle higher resolution and higher bitrate files than the J3.

J3 has BBE. Nothing much for the Touch 4G other than the now improved stock restricted EQ.

There's also size issues and battery life - Touch 4G is thinner, but J3 has much longer battery life.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Most humans can't perceive the individual pixels of the retina display until the screen is within a foot of their eyes. And you can't see individual pixel on the 480 x 272 screen when it's a good viewing distance either. If you're holding the device farther away than a foot then get the J3. It will have much better contrast and blacker blacks than the new Touch will in videos.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:49 PM

Update: i take it back what i said about the iTouch 4G screen. i turn off auto brightness off : ( silly me. just wow, i saw a HD review from Gametrailers of Halo: Reach in 720p on the iTouch 4G. my jaw drop when i saw it was so clear & sharp with movie like colors. it was just right but again if you want the best colors on a screen then AMOLED is for you.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:42 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindBandit View Post
Update: i take it back what i said about the iTouch 4G screen. i turn off auto brightness off : ( silly me. just wow, i saw a HD review from Gametrailers of Halo: Reach in 720p on the iTouch 4G. my jaw drop when i saw it was so clear & sharp with movie like colors. it was just right but again if you want the best colors on a screen then AMOLED is for you.
It actually has a quarter the contrast of the iPhone 4, with less dark blacks, and poorer viewing angles. Either way, I'd go with the iPod Touch - a bigger screen is better for video.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:49 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickysio View Post
It actually has a quarter the contrast of the iPhone 4, with less dark blacks, and poorer viewing angles. Either way, I'd go with the iPod Touch - a bigger screen is better for video.
I agree, and I hope this inspires Cowon to create a comparable dap, as the touch screen is killer.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:03 AM

The screen is not bad as people say & you got to look at the device in person first before you judge it. also don't trust the review sites too because that there opinion & not yours.

Sure the screen ratio is not 900:1 but it has more brightness then the Zune HD that for sure & the colors look more warm then the Zune HD.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:17 AM

Also be sure to factor in file transfer/compatibility. The J3 isn't exactly top of the heap when it comes to filetype compatibility, but the iPod Touch needs iTunes for basically anything but charging. I don't know if that's a huge factor for you, but I can't stand using any dedicated program for transferring content, and older versions of iTunes have crashed my computer and made me lose data before. So it's a consideration to make.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:36 AM
Banned

video will look better on the Touch's screen, but if you're like me you'd prefer the Oled of the J3.

Tags
cowon, ipod, j3, touch