android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa Fuze+

Old 09-11-2010, 02:31 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by EggyCuppy View Post
honestly, if you have albums where you MUST HAVE 100% perfect gapless why not just JOIN THE FILES INTO ONE LARGE FILE? i mean that would solve the problem of "no gapless" "sort of gapless" "ok gapless" vs "true gapless" if the songs are ment to and must be listened to gapless then whats the problem with making them into one large single track?
There was a time when I felt like you, just join it as one long track, but I've come to realize that this line of thinking is flawed.

For example....what if one song from the album was a single that got heavy airplay, and on a particular day, you feel like skipping past it? Can't do it if you've made it all one track, can you?

Also, why should we have to make the effort to join them into one track? Technology is supposed to make things easier, not harder, right?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-11-2010, 02:34 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroCorpse View Post
I did try out a bunch of the skins/themes. They were all unappealing to me.

If you like it, that's cool. It's just not my thing.
Enjoy your Fuze+ then....you're absolutely correct in saying that Rockbox is not for everybody. Ignore the zealot, and have fun with your new Fuze+.

Old 09-11-2010, 03:04 AM

Quote:
I just wasn't into sorting through the file folders on my device to find what I want to play.
If you hit Database and then hit "yes" or something to load it then, let it load, restart your player, and then go back to Database you can browse conventionally rather than through folders.

I also recently rockboxed my Sansa e280, and I had the same initial response as you, I didn't get what was so great about it. However, I have since fallen in the love with the playlist feature(s) and the ability to scrobble. I think if you read/browse through the online manual and mess around with it for a week or so you might find it more pleasing.

Of course, you should go with what you feel comfortable with in the end, be it RB or the original firmware.

Old 09-11-2010, 03:27 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
where as I can live without it. I tend to just make playlists for each folder anyway, for example I have 3 doors down(all their stuff)
1. playlist for EVERYTHING
2. playlists for each album's folder
3. playlist for the albums I like the most

MTP makes playlist creation like that VERY simple, a few clicks per playlist, quite easy really.

Im sure folder browsing will show up eventually but it wasnt a top priority, Im sure they wanted to get the player out asap, its better to get a player out that covers most peoples needs then ad more features once the products in the wild and you have a list of bugs that need fixed
It raises the question again of why do we need to accomodate the player instead of getting a player that suits us out of the box? I might as well get an iPod Touch while we're at that.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:30 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
MTP makes playlist creation like that VERY simple, a few clicks per playlist, quite easy really.
From my limited use of MTP, creating .PLA playlists from Vista seemed extremely easy. Unfortunately, it doesn't work from XP (at least for me). I have been primarily using my XP computer for music storage...so that rules it out.

I find using MSC and creating playlists with Winamp to be extremely simple. Guess it's just the way I think.

It's really nice that we have options, then each person can use the player their own way.

Steve

Old 09-11-2010, 12:53 PM
Rockbox Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
For example....what if one song from the album was a single that got heavy airplay, and on a particular day, you feel like skipping past it? Can't do it if you've made it all one track, can you?

You can with cue sheet files. Of course you need Rockbox to support it

Anyway, Rockbox can also do real (yes, *real*) gapless on seperate mp3 files so I don't get the problem

Old 09-11-2010, 01:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
rickysio: if you really hate the fuze+ that much and need folder browsing, get a player that has it, Personally I never used folder browsing in the fuze OF to me it was a PITFA, the same is true for most other players I have owned, only RB's folder browsing has been excellent for me, the rest where...meh, I found playlists to be far more elegant solution and the fuze OF has a section JUST FOR PLAYLISTS, making it my version of folder browsing(it works the same except that I can also add content from other folders if i want, so infact its more robust then pure folder browsing support)
I know - I mean, I did get a Fuze - It was more of a "Oh damn you Sansa, one step forward one step back?" moment from me. I like the new screen, etc, but until RB gets on it, unlike the Clip+ and the Fuze, there's no chance of me purchasing it.

Old 09-11-2010, 01:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
ah, im gonna get one if only to give it a try, I dont mind making playlists for each folder/artist, again its only a few clicks so its not anything to complain about for me, and hopefully when folder browsing does show up, it comes in a more rockbox like form(no file/folder name changes when loading the device...and yes I have seen the fuze do this in both MSC and MTP modes)

also the fact that sandisk has a decent EQ now really will make a dif to me, Should help with me waiting for RB port.
Well, not like it's going to launch in retail over here...

So I can camp and wait.

Old 09-11-2010, 02:10 PM
Rockbox Developer

Quote:
well it can as long as its not WMA files :P
It should work for any file, unless the encoder is deliberately inserting gaps which don't exist in the original.

On the other hand, I know nothing about WMA.

Last edited by kugel; 09-11-2010 at 02:16 PM.

Old 09-11-2010, 02:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
kugel, you should talk to saratoga, he can tell you all about WMA and gapless problems, there was a post a while back that took a few days to resolve (had to convince the guy to re-rip to another format because he was using WMP to rip to wma)
WMP is one of the crappiest encoders, after all....lol.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:29 PM

: sighs: After reading this thread, I conflicted on buying a Fuze+. Right now, 80% of my MP3 player usage will be when I'm driving, 10% when I'm at work, and the other 10% when I'm randomly out and about (taking walk, long trip, etc.). That is why I liked the Fuze, but I hated how small it was. I like the size of the Fuze+, but the lack of tactile controls is a big turn off and some of the issues that have been discussed here just make me feel uneasy about it.

: sighs: The closest I have gotten to the MP3 player "of my dreams" was the Sansa View: Big enough that it was comfortable to hold in my hand, thin enough to fit into any pocket, and the scroll wheel worked great. Sadly, the firmware had to suck. With MP3 and PMP players following the trends they are now, I'm never going to see anything like that again.

Heck, to be honest, if they didn't have such horrid sound quality (to me), I'd probably hunt down a iPod Mini, take out the miniHD and install a CF-to-IDE adapter and 8GB CF card, and install Rockbox. Nice size, good controls (sorry but I really like the touch wheel; easy to use even when the player is out of your line-of-sight like when you drive), great replacement firmware, and fully upgradable.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GumbyX84 View Post
*snip*
Heck, to be honest, if they didn't have such horrid sound quality (to me), I'd probably hunt down a iPod Mini, take out the miniHD and install a CF-to-IDE adapter and 8GB CF card, and install Rockbox. Nice size, good controls (sorry but I really like the touch wheel; easy to use even when the player is out of your line-of-sight like when you drive), great replacement firmware, and fully upgradable.
With the Rockbox sound tweaks, the Mini can sound just fine.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Enjoy your Fuze+ then....you're absolutely correct in saying that Rockbox is not for everybody. Ignore the zealot, and have fun with your new Fuze+.
I ended up not getting the Fuze+ after all. I got a good deal on a Zune HD and so I'm going to give that a shot.

We'll see. If I don't like it, they have good resale value.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:03 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Recent generation of iPod players are at worse, average already.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:06 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I ended up not getting the Fuze+ after all. I got a good deal on a Zune HD and so I'm going to give that a shot.

We'll see. If I don't like it, they have good resale value.
Good luck with it!

Old 09-12-2010, 12:09 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Zune HD's pretty tempting for me too, might have to try it out someday. :S After I get a monthly income, expect an explosion of my current equipment count!

Old 09-12-2010, 12:34 AM

Quote:
With the Rockbox sound tweaks, the Mini can sound just fine.
But isn't it the hardware that makes it sound bad? Well, not as good as something like a Fuze.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:23 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GumbyX84 View Post
But isn't it the hardware that makes it sound bad? Well, not as good as something like a Fuze.
With out any EQ or effects in play, the Sansas do sound better....no arguing there. My point was that using the EQ/effects of rockbox allows me to get the sound I want out of that hardware.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:25 AM

Quote:
With out any EQ or effects in play, the Sansas do sound better....no arguing there. My point was that using the EQ/effects of rockbox allows me to get the sound I want out of that hardware.
Ah. My mistake. Well, I'm seriously thinking of doing this, so if I do, mind giving me tips? Suck at setting custom EQ and effects.

BTW, which version of the Mini do you own (gen 1 or 2)? I think you can use a CF in either model, but not sure which is easier to RockBox.

Sorry for high-jacking thread.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:25 AM
Ultra Senior Member

http://www.sandisk.com/microsites/sa...lus/index.html

They have an advertisement for it, and man, I think some'd prefer if the photos segment was longer, ya?

The best part of the site is the Product Features... What the hell is "get more MP3 player"?! Next thing I know, they'd list under Product Features "It has the GBs. And the WiFis. I think."

Why is red 4GB only again? Even purple has the 8GBs! And 16GB again is black only.

Tags
8gb, fuze+, review, white