android
Old 09-12-2010, 04:28 AM

Hello lebellium, good that you can post this preview here... and later in Genmp3 hopefully
I understand that you could not experiment webrowsing / lack of wifi, may be you could have another opportunity in the next days.
I wonder how good is the screen responsiveness ? is it "capacitive" or resistive" type of ?
and can it offer multitouch for zooming or other nice stuff ?

thanks

Rem (from France)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-12-2010, 07:06 AM
Samsung Moderator

The screen responsiveness is good (especially for a sample with a beta firmware). It's a multitouch screen but I forgot to try it in zooming on pictures. I'll try the online features as soon as I can

Old 09-12-2010, 08:49 AM

Looks very nice. Just a bit disappointed about the screen resolution, but I could live with that. Thanks for the preview lebellium

Old 09-12-2010, 07:39 PM

3.2 inch WQVGA = ENTIRE UNIVERSE OF FAIL

Frankly I find this pathetic. After 3 years the YP-MB2 finally looked like a serious ipod touch competitor. Nice size/resolution 4.1 inch 800x480 AMOLED with Android market and a nice cpu....finally some serious competition.....but oh no wait....samsung canned it for this sub par junk.

What I fail to understand is what goes through the brains of the people making this junk?

Has anyone ever tried to watch a film or browse the web on a 3.2 inch WQVGA display? I have and I can tell you it's a horrible frustrating unsatisfying joke of a user experience. So why in gods name would you think it's a good idea to put such a small sh**ty display on a device designed for media and web?

It shows a fundamental complete misunderstanding of what people want and of how to give a good user experience. Not to mention samsung have the biggest economies of scale in the industry, they could probably put any damn display they wanted in this cos the likely hood is they probably manufacture it themselves and distribute them to a whole heap of other companies already.

They're constantly banging on about AMOLED this and super LCD that, but then they try and rip people off with this sub par corner cutting tripe.

Any moron with half a brain cell could have told the clowns who made this that most people who will be interested in this product want a decent size/resolution screen just so they can actually see the film or web page they're looking at! Oh and a decent battery would be helpful too so they can actually do something on it without bloody having to plug it in the whole time.

Really p**ses me off that these companies are so slack. No wonder apple owns the market, this is a complete joke.

Apples pushing 960x640 ultra sharp retina displays then sammy pop up with this QVGA crap and think it's gonna compete. Delusional clowns. I hope this flops hard so they try harder and stop making this sub par rubbish.

Oh and in terms of the price, don't get it twisted. They are taking the piss out of European customers like they always do, you watch when the US pricing comes out it will be significantly lower. I never condone apple products but I would advise not to waste your time with this junk, buy an iPod touch, at least the build qualities good and they actually think about how people will use the product when they design it.

*RANT OVER*

Last edited by Sere83; 09-12-2010 at 07:46 PM.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:52 PM

Can anyone confirm that the MB2 has been axed? I'm holding out for one, but if this really is all we're going to get from Samsung in the near future, I'm going to fold and buy the ipod touch. There's a lot I don't like about the touch, but I need a PMP and the MB2 looked to be Apple's only real competition.

Old 09-13-2010, 04:23 AM

disappointed from samsung this time

Old 09-13-2010, 05:27 AM

I'm trying to resist buying an Ipod touch. My sansa e280 is showing it's age. Once a caught a glimpse of the YP-MB2 in August I fell in love. GPS, 4 inch Super Amoled, Android with marketplace. I would buy it in a heart beat. I know Samsung is having trouble keeping up with their Super Amoled production. Maybe they are waiting for that new factory of theirs to get up and running. Maybe they'll announce it at CES this year. I would love to buy the Galaxy player but the screen size is important to me. Thank you lebellium for taking the time to give us all your hands time with the Galaxy player. I'm glad that you mentioned it supports drag and drop. I'm going to wait til January to make a decision on the next PMP I buy, hopefully the YP-MB2 will be announced by then. I'm guessing it'll be called the Galaxy player 100.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:02 AM

Yeah I still live in hope they might release the YP-MB2 but not holding my breath to be honest. If they are still having AMOLED shortage issues why didn't the just stick a standard 800x480 TFT in there? Anythings better than this QVGA tiny c**p.

3.5-4.3 inch android 2.2 devices = Rare beasts. Archos is really the only option at the moment. Personally i'm not a fan of their stuff though.

Chinese manufacturers are pushing a lot of 5 inch android devices at the minute but none of them are cortex A8 powered and most are only android 2.1 or lower although they have hefty gpu's so HD is a possibility. Battery is not likely to be great though.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:58 PM

Unhappy Disappointed

I was really looking forward to the yp-mb2, I really thought that there may be a great iPod Touch competitor, but no. I will hold out till January for Samsung to get some sense.

This may possibly be some marketing tactic. You know, like apple put that crap 2 megapixel camera on the new iPod, but everyone, aside from Jobs' loyal fanboys, knows that they could do better, but as producer, they hold back on features to sell in the future. Samsung, though I dread the thought, may have adopted this policy.

For the camera on it, the resolution, I don't see myself buying a Galaxy until they pump it up with an Amoled Screen and a decent camera or no camera at all. I hate things to be half a$$ed. They may as well not be there.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:24 PM

darn, more stuff coming out right after I get my j3
I'm hoping it'll be a good compromise between widget's/apps and sound quality. As of now there really aren't many players available with both wifi and good sq

Old 09-16-2010, 12:45 PM

First Thanks Lebellium for sharing New samsung products with us.

Now my opinion:

- Good -
* Is good to finaly see a New Mp3 player from Samsung
it has been so quiet here since M1 was released not a single mp3 player
I was looking forward for new samsung mp3 players since i enjoy their quality sound and way of making mp3 players.
Seeing a New mp3 player make me think Samsung will not get out of mp3 marked well atleast not just.

I kind of dont like to buy Mobile phones for music
i try to use mobile as less possible to safe money but Mp3 players i buy Now and then.

* Microcard slot is good i hope it acess all kind of speed size card

* Is finaly good to see Wifi on a Samsung Mp3 player that is what many have complained about "we want both bluetooth and wifi" i guess this player gives you that.
Let you play music ,browse internet and Movies
If is like COWON S9 where you can drag any 1GB+ movies in 1 minute and it play without conversion then Samsung has done a good job with video playback, Samsung P3 and M1 is so restricted with video files and people dont like it that way they like it like Cowon s9.

- Bad -

* The Screen is Too Bad so i wont buy this player but i will keep an eye on new Galaxy players , I even would prefer a Wifi/bluetooth Android player without Microcard and better Superamoled screen if Samsung has to Cut down on something don't cut on the screen or build quality material.

* Price is Too expensive for this price you have to add a Much better Screen "amoled"

* I hope you can get it in other colors than White
Why not just release a whole color range Blue,Red,Violet,Orange, Black and even a Transparent one.
I am getting a bit bored of Black or white players
is like Europeans is colorblind.
Some companies like Apple realize this but i dont like how ipod sounds , that they break too often and that is not Drag&drop i like drag&drop.

Suggestion:
1. First of all get a Better screen on that thing
or quickly release a upgraded player with better screen as soon you can
Now everything that is not Amoled is getting outdated

2. Make sure There is no need at all for video conversion
Do like Cowon I have Cowon s9 that you can just drop any files on it
and in like 1 minute a 1 GB movie or more transfer to it
is just superfast and play perfect on the player without conversion
THAT MAN IS GOOD

3. I Said it many times and i say it again
"I want a ID3Tag Software on the player to TAG Mp3 files on the fly"
Yep thats when i'm on the road if i want to change a Name or Track possition of a song i dont want to wait until come home
Why not take a program like Tag&rename or any other Tag ID3 program
and put it on the Android player
so when we want to Re-tag Mp3 songs all you have to do is
click the program re-tag songs

you can do this on a pc maybe is now possible when you have Android.
Any IDTag program that is free might do but get one on it .
I don't know about you but i find a Tagging program for mp3 files
very important on a mp3 player not always have we acess to a Pc all the time.

4. Open up to use UCI themes as soon possible
Themes is what make a Player life longer and this translate into Happy custumbers and a big Fan-base for the player.

5. Physical Volume and Pause buttons should be a must on players this days

6. Release More colors in europe
White or even black is just boring
Blue, Red, Cherry and Orange is a must
or why not a multicolor player with 2 combined colors

Belive me i would buy a player that mix Light blue with Light brown
for example half top of the player Brown , half bottom of the player Blue
Or What about Violet with Yellow or Black with Cherry (in glossy material)

Make something realy inovating mixing 2 or 3 colors in a good way would be great it would beat Apple that only make theirs players in one colors
(that is unless not someone from apple read this and steal my idea ... Apple this idea is for samsung

7. Make more Themes for Music player Uci so we can change it
music player is probaly the program in mp3 player we use most
is good to could change that skin too.

8. We want a samsung player that is as slim as Ipod nanos
but no bad sound quality like apple and build good so it dont break.

9. Touch buttons (that light up) is always good on players (together with touch screen) continue with that.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoDawkins View Post
exactly. Lest see if the Android based Walkman materializes and if Sony wants to reclaim their lost glory in the portable audio department.
I still don't believe in an Android Walkman. Has Sony ever sold a real "entertoyment" PMP?

Old 09-30-2010, 02:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Is there podcast support and autoresume for podcasts and audiobooks? Does the player have a separate place for podcasts(keeping them out of the song database)? Does it have variable speed playback with automatic pitch correction?

I guess this is meant to compete against the Cowon J3 and not to be a replacement for the R0.

Can the player be paused or restarted while the touch controls are locked?

Old 10-04-2010, 06:50 AM

You can (pre)buy it already 199/249E 8/16G.
(French site :
http://www.materiel.net/ctl/MP4/6122..._Go.html#carac

no delivery date yet

Old 10-07-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
There is a microUSB connector.
Nice, Samsung have learned what standard connectors means.
That was about the only thing annoying me with my p3. And the poor video support.
Now i'm using an archos 5, I miss the p3's SQ, and playlist creation. But for the rest.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Nice, Samsung have learned what standard connectors means.
That was about the only thing annoying me with my p3. And the poor video support.
Now i'm using an archos 5, I miss the p3's SQ, and playlist creation. But for the rest.
The P3's video support was annoying? Really? It supports nearly every format out there.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:59 AM

Yup, i made some div-x it woudn't open.
And srt support sometimes didn't work.

Old 10-09-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Yup, i made some div-x it woudn't open.
And srt support sometimes didn't work.
Yeah I do agree with that, a lot of the time the videos don't work, divx/xvid or not. And especially how mpeg-4 videos don't work either

Old 10-12-2010, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electron View Post
it does look very nice, imo.
I've been waiting for this kind of product from samsung for quite a while, and if they can keep the price low here in the US, I probably will get one.
Won't be the slightest bit surprised if this never sees the light of day in the US.

Old 10-23-2010, 04:33 AM

Default HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
Here are my first impressions on the Galaxy Player 50, the first one in the "Galaxy Player" range. It replaces the Samsung M1 (The YP-MB2 should have been the successor but from my informations its release has been cancelled)
The one I had in my hand was a sample with a very beta firmware and there was no working wifi network around so I was not able to test many things.
I've been looking at getting a new PMP, and i was convinced i would get an M1, but seeing the Galaxy Player 50 has made it so much harder to choose! lebellium, would you recommend waiting for the G50, or getting an M1?

Tags
50, galaxy, player, preview, samsung, yepp, yp-g50