android
Old 09-13-2010, 07:50 PM

Do you know of a case that gives the buttons on the E series players more blind-control feedback?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-13-2010, 07:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Do you know of a case that gives the buttons on the E series players more blind-control feedback?
Not really, as I use a crystal case for my Sony S639 and it's just the buttons - raw.

A silicon case MIGHT give you more tactile feel tho, but don't quote me on that 1.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:08 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Silicon case would make it more mushy and probably make it harder to determine if the switch has actuated or not...

Old 09-14-2010, 12:20 AM

I have the E345 I beleive it's the exact same thing, but the north american version has a mini USB instead of the one pictured. I love it, the sound quality is great even at full volume, the bass isn't overwhelming. I never find myself going above volume level 20 as well, so it's great.

I do have the silicone case from sony, and I find it's easier to blind navigate with it now that I use the case, dunno why but that's what I find.

As for the player itself, theres a few things it's missing that I think should be on every player that hits the market, such as choosing how long the backlight is on, voice/FM recording (only on the S series, which is dissapointing as I didnt want the speakers, and the extra price wasn't worth that feature).

love the mini usb, if I ever lose my cable I know I have tons more kicking around. the screen is nice for watching videos, however it can be a bit hard to see in certain lighting situations as it's very reflective, I often saw myself more then the video when the video was playing a darker scene.

All in all it's a great no frills player to play music, if you want something simple, it's perfect and cheap. I only paid $75 USD for mine.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:24 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Okay, I underestimated the price.

http://www.sony.com.sg/productcatego...man-mp3-player

NWZ-E445/V
MSRP? S$219.

You guys have it good. :S

Old 09-14-2010, 09:35 AM

This is on my list of players I may buy, had 2 questions about it:
1) it appears like it can play aac files from the itunes store (non-drm'd ones) I have about 5 years of ripping cds in itunes/buying tracks in aac. with no easy way to convert all of them to mp3, I need aac support

2) Is it worth getting the S version for the proprietary usb and the use of line out with it? Or will headphone out on these be about the same?

Old 09-14-2010, 01:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Freedomweasel:

- I believe there are lots of apps which will easily batch transcode unprotected AAC files to mp3 format, including the great foobar2k.

- Here are the Sony E/S file format specs:
Music
Audio Formats
(Codec)
MP3 Media File format: MP3 (MPEG-1 Layer3) file format
File extension: .mp3
Bit rate: 32 to 320 kbps (Supports variable bit rate (VBR))
Sampling frequency*1: 32, 44.1, 48 kHz

WMA Media File format: ASF file format
File extension: .wma
Bit rate: 32 to 192 kbps (Supports variable bit rate (VBR))
Sampling frequency*1: 44.1 kHz
* Compatible with WM-DRM 10

AAC-LC*2 Media File format: MP4 file format
File extension: .mp4, .m4a
Bit rate: 16 to 320 kbps (Supports variable bit rate (VBR))*3
Sampling frequency*1: 8, 11.025, 12, 16, 22.05, 24, 32, 44.1, 48 kHz

Linear PCM Media File format: Wave-Riff file format
File extension: .wav
Bit rate: 1,411 kbps
Sampling frequency*1: 44.1 kHz

- No idea on the line out for the S. I only have the E, but I purposely chose it for the global standard miniUSB connector. I use my headphone out in the car to connect to a good cassette adapter. It works and sounds fine, though there is some high freq loss [which I compensate for via Sony EQ and on the headunit].

hth,
-lestatar
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 09-14-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
helpfull stuff here
With foobar, will it intelligently select a bitrate? What I mean is my library isn't all at the same bit rate. I wouldn't want to set it to 128kbps and have it convert a nice aac into a 128 mp3. If I need to do a separate batch on those folders it wouldn't be a disaster.

When I started looking for an ipod replacement a regular usb was high on the list
of priorities. Looking into things more though, it seems like having a line out might be nice.

Old 09-14-2010, 03:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

freedomw:

Sure. When you use most good transcoding apps, you can totally select the bitrate of the target codec. Foobar allows you to select any bitrate you want.

If you want to convert to mp3, I suggest of course using LAME as your encoder and using either V0 or V2 VBR. Both are generally considered the most transparent and most file size efficient, still yielding audio results that will sound amazing to 98% of the people on the planet.

Do use the latest LAME binaries though. Go here:
http://www.rarewares.org/mp3-lame-bundle.php

Download and install foobar2k [free of course, and it is kinda no frills so you need to play with how it looks].

Place the appropriate LAME files in the right directory [I think foobar2k/components], drag your AAC music into foobar, highlight the ones you want to transcode and then select CONVERT.....

This will bring up a dialog box where you:
- point foobar to the lame.exe
- select the output format
- optionally add DSP post processing
- target location of converted files

A snap, once you get the hang of it...

I have zero experience transcoding from AAC to mp3 though so no idea of the "best" bitrates to use...

give it a go
A Glossary for Newbies

Last edited by lestatar; 09-29-2010 at 01:18 AM. Reason: stupid typo

Old 09-14-2010, 03:29 PM
Administrator

foobar2000 or any good converter will encode to the quality you set. The best .mp3 encoder available, LAME, is variable bitrate based on quality settings. -V9 being the lowest and -V0 being the highest. You can force it into a constant bitrate, 320 kbps being the highest setting. However if you do that you take away some of the fine tuning that gives LAME it's advantage over other encoders.

There's one thing you will want to keep in mind concerning converting your library. If you convert from lossless (ALAC) there will only be the losses due to conversion. If you convert from a lossy format, .aac, .m4a, .mp4 there will be additional SQ loss caused by conversion. Sometimes the loss is inaudible but the greatest majority of time you will hear the loss to an undesirable degree.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:03 PM

iTunes itself can convert to MP3, I don't know why people rip CD's with iTunes into formats other then MP3, kinda silly imo.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:39 PM

for the case thing if you buy the actual sony made silicon case for the sony E345 it is a more expensive silicon, not a cheap mushy one. what i mean is, is that it is more firm, and is kinda like a ghost white so the rest of the players colour is almost white except for the revealed red/purple/black. so the silicon is alot stiffer, i had a sony but the battery on my was crap so i returned it.
but the case was very good, very good for in pocket use. if u get a case for it, then get the sony made silicon case. 24 bucks canadian for me.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomweasel View Post
This is on my list of players I may buy, had 2 questions about it:
1) it appears like it can play aac files from the itunes store (non-drm'd ones) I have about 5 years of ripping cds in itunes/buying tracks in aac. with no easy way to convert all of them to mp3, I need aac support

2) Is it worth getting the S version for the proprietary usb and the use of line out with it? Or will headphone out on these be about the same?
You do not need to transcode the aac files you have to mp3...the E345 and the S545 will play them just fine!

Old 09-15-2010, 02:32 AM

Looks like a cost-effective Sony for a lot of people, though I'll expect it to be damn expensive in Korea, too. would like to replace my A828 soon, but also got addicted to Bluetooth for my Cy-Fi wireless speaker for my bicycle that I will probably not get a non-bluetooth player now...

Old 09-15-2010, 07:51 AM

I am totally satisfied with my genuine Sony silicone case (the black one for E430 series), soft to the touch but not "greasy", it does not attract dust at all.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:54 AM

Thanks for the all the help everyone!

Old 09-15-2010, 02:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
You do not need to transcode the aac files you have to mp3...the E345 and the S545 will play them just fine!
rofl! doh! <facepalm> didn't even notice that before I went on the whole foobar mini-tutorial...
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 09-15-2010, 02:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It's alright lestatar, your still our bro.

Old 09-15-2010, 03:29 PM

Talking of cases, mine came with this little magnetic leather one. I quite like it. Decent quality and buttons are still easily accessed.

The Budget IEM Shoot-out!

Old 09-15-2010, 05:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
rofl! doh! <facepalm> didn't even notice that before I went on the whole foobar mini-tutorial...
This is why we still double-check your posts....
Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
It's alright lestatar, your still our bro.
Attached Images
File Type: gif f4ddbbdd.gif (4.1 KB, 72 views)