android
Old 09-06-2010, 06:51 PM

Default Zen Xtra doesn't recognize tags (firmware question)

I had a 40gb Zen Xtra that died, and I replaced it with one from eBay... but it doesn't have the same firmware, and I'd like to know what to replace it with.

The old one used Nomad Explorer and recognized tags; this one pops up as "storage media (type: generic hierarchical") with a Music folder. When I put music onto it the player sees the file-names, but I can't sort by Artist/Album/Genre/anything else. Safe mode tells me it's running 2.10.03; what do I need to update (or backdate) it to in order to use the tag functionality?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-06-2010, 07:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hey there, welcome to ABi....

I got 2 [yes, count em 2] 100% working Zen Xtra 40GBs. Let me tell you how I manage them - perhaps it will be useful to you.

- I use Winamp to manage my Xtras. It interfaces with them perfectly under the MTP protocol;

- my mp3 are all fully tagged with both ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags using mp3tag - results in zero issues for me;

- all my music shows up perfectly on the devices, including full Xtra database browsing.

Give this a shot first Especially before messing with the FW for the Xtras, which could possibly brick your player [so I have read]...

cheers and good luck,
-lestatar
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 09-07-2010, 01:25 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Default You Already Have the Lateset Firmware

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMunkeepants View Post
I had a 40gb Zen Xtra that died, and I replaced it with one from eBay... but it doesn't have the same firmware, and I'd like to know what to replace it with.

The old one used Nomad Explorer and recognized tags; this one pops up as "storage media (type: generic hierarchical") with a Music folder. When I put music onto it the player sees the file-names, but I can't sort by Artist/Album/Genre/anything else. Safe mode tells me it's running 2.10.03; what do I need to update (or backdate) it to in order to use the tag functionality?
You do NOT need to do ANYTHING to your firmware. You already have the latest firmware. You need to have at the very least Windows Media Player 10 installed on the computer you are using if your OS is XP ,Vista & Win7 already have the native driver within the OS (it's part of the WMP framework) What you need to do is tag the music files on the computer & then reload them to the player. MP3Tag can do this or do the tags thru Windows Explorer.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:22 AM

I am using Windows XP and I have WMP11; I never used it before (just File Explorer), so I didn't think of using it.
I will test this with some files I know have tags, and see if those other test files were the problem, then update with results.
thanks for the tips!

Old 09-08-2010, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMunkeepants View Post
(...) I never used it before (just File Explorer), so I didn't think of using it.
(...)
You don't need to use WMP, it just needs to be installed. The point is that the files are probably missing tags, no need to transfer with WMP. Explorer will work just fine.