android
Old 09-04-2010, 08:23 AM

Default I want a real simple tag software

I have downloaded so many tagging software that had too many features. I just want to do the main stuff quickly and easily. It's hard to think of tagging as bloatware but I've seen too many.

Any suggestions. I just got a clip plus. I think I can see it if I get out my electron microscope. Geez these things are getting small. But I might like it.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-04-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brycej View Post
I have downloaded so many tagging software that had too many features. I just want to do the main stuff quickly and easily. It's hard to think of tagging as bloatware but I've seen too many.

Any suggestions. I just got a clip plus. I think I can see it if I get out my electron microscope. Geez these things are getting small. But I might like it.
MP3Tag: http://www.mp3tag.de/en/download.html

Old 09-04-2010, 12:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Brycej:

What exactly do you need the tagging softwrae to do?

The best way to tag, is to use a CD ripper that creates the tags correctly. But if you are downloading music, that doesn't help any.

I've actually found mp3 Book Helper to be more useful FOR ME than mp3tag. mp3tag seems better for creating tags from the filename. However, both are very confusing (to me) with way too many features that I don't understand.

http://mp3bookhelper.sourceforge.net/

Steve

Old 09-04-2010, 12:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

My favorite tagger is Tag&Rename - this one has even more options than most others, so it won't be helpful for this thread. However, the company behind this extremely powerful app makes a very nice freeware tagger that lives in the options menu when you right-click a file in Windows Explorer. It's a quick and easy way to edit tags in single files, and it even supports embedding album art and such. Maybe it's some use to some of you: AudioShell

Other than that, any decent audio player has basic tagging options - Winamp, Foobar2000, etc.

Old 09-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

My favorite of all time for ease of handy use is MP3Ext, which includes a right click editing capability under Windows Explorer as well as icon marking of files according to kbps level (not really a necessity, to say the least, but fun as eye candy).

Not for large-scale jobs, but handy for quick and simpler editing.

Unfortunately, MP3Ext doesn't work on 64-bit systems (the same for AudioShell, by the way)--a pity and I miss it! http://www.mutschler.de/mp3ext/

Old 09-04-2010, 02:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Chiming in...I personally depend on mp3Tag. Not terribly difficult I think and the interface is pretty clean [plus you can grab album art from Amazon].

The Audio Shell thing is cool too - too simple for me but quite nice and may be perfect for what the OP is looking for.

Conceptually, most of the tagging programs are the same, I think. Once one understands the basic idea of tagging and how tagging has nothing to do with an mp3's file name unless you make it that way, you are good to go.
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 09-13-2010, 01:06 AM

I have the MP3tag program..... What I need to know is, How does one "rightfully" tag a series of files so that when dragged & dropped onto the Clip+, All the files show up on the clip in the same folder? (the way you see them when you look at them thru you computer?)

Does anyone else have the problem of files showing up on the Clip+ in different "sub-folders" or levels & when you view the same files thru your computer (on the Clip+) they all appear in the same folder???? Is there a sticky i missed maybe that explains this process in more detail????

cheers
cc

Old 09-13-2010, 01:16 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Clip+: mp3Tag and tagging software in general has absolutely nothing to do with how you drag and drop stuff onto your player.

Questions:
- How do you look at your files on your computer? The way I do it is probably different than what your are doing. Please specify.

- If you are using the Clip+ in MSC mode, then the Clip+ shows up as a device in Windows Explorer for you. Then you can make as many folders as you want, copy the music into the appropriate folder and you are set.

- Under the original Clip+ firmware, you probably have a folder called MUSIC. Make whatever subfolders under this as you want. Then simply place the songs into the right folders. You should be good to go.

This is the essence of drag/drop using MSC for MSC capable devices.

mp3Tag [and other tagging programs] place the vital track/artist/album/year/track number information into each song itself. All modern music players area able to read this info and then display it on the player's screen. They also maintain their own databases so you can browse through your music using any of the above fields/criteria.

FWIW, i do not ever use the Artist/Album sub-folder protocol for my MSC players. I simply make a single folder and place all my music in there. That's it - no multiple layers of folders for me to navigate through, which I personally prefer.

I can do this because:
- my tags are 100% accurate;
- my filenames are 100% accurate.

I do hope this helps clear things up a bit for you, and apologies if you knew all this already.

cheers,
-lestatar
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 09-13-2010, 06:21 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I simply use folder browsing now, since it's easier to sort things my way with folder than to dick around with tags.

I do clean up my tags with MP3Tag - very straightforward program.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:03 AM

Thanks for your suggestions Lestatar!... Yes my Clip+ is in MSC mode all the time. I use "My Computer" to view & Drag&Drop files to the clip.

Yes I guess I am somewhat of a novice with the Clip+, However, In an attempt to clarify what I meant in my original post: What I meant by "Sub-folders or levels" may be also called nesting? I frequently find that even tho I put most all files in one of several generic folders on my clip (eg: Music, Podcasts or Audiobooks etc.) ..... But when I scroll down thru them on the clip screen, Some files (that all appear in the same folder on my Clip thru My Computer,) now appear to be nested under others rather than all being listed in the one list on the Clip....

Any ideas whats causing this?

Thanks again
CC

Old 09-13-2010, 10:12 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hmm, (for Official Firmware) go to Music > Folders (Last option in that menu) > and find the folder. Does it still screw up the structure? I frankly haven't encountered such an issue, but that could be because I don't have any Podcasts or Audiobooks.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I think you might be confusing how you store your music, in folders, with how you view the music, by either the player's database using the ID3 tags--the various initial options under Music, such as artist, title, etc.--or the bottom or so option under Music, Folders. Under the Folders option, you should see your folders and music as you transferred them to the Clip+.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:19 PM

Actually I specifically have this issue with Podcasts. If I dump a number of podcasts (say 12) from the same webpage into the Podcast folder on the clip+, when I go there on the Clip display, there might be 4 or 5 files in the list & the others I will find nested under these 1st 4 or 5. On the computer screen thru My Computer however, All 12 files appear to be in the same directory on the clip with no "Nesting???
I have yet to figure out why it's coming up this way on the clip+.............??
later
thanks
CC

Old 09-13-2010, 01:23 PM
ABI Founder

Tag&Rename is my favorite and IMO the end all be all. But i could see how it could be too much for some.

For quick editing i use the Zune's software. It works incredibly well with some really convenient drag and drop tagging. For instance if you have artists that are fragmented with slightly different spellings, just drag the incorrect spelling onto the correct one and the tags are renamed. The same holds true with album names. One thing I will caution you of is the pulling of metadata from the internet option- make sure its off or it can wreak havoc on your collection.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:31 PM

I prefer MP3Tag, it's better than Tag&Rename (I used that for years), and is free.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It's not better, it's different. I use both, for different tasks.

But that's off-topic for this thread anyways, since the OP was looking for a simple solution.