android
Old 09-03-2010, 12:01 AM
Ultra Senior Member

My hope is that part of the problem was a low battery issue that prevented connecting to your computer. Hopefully, the recharging via AC USB adapter (fine with a 5V USB charger) fixed that.

Next up: here's hoping that the firmware reapplication fixes the base screen issue.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-03-2010, 07:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Good news, let us hear back how it worked out ...

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 09-03-2010, 07:39 AM

Damn it. It was a bit of a one hit wonder. I unplugged it, went to sleep, woke up and now it wont even turn on, and when I plug it in Nothing. I'm trying to charge it again but i'm getting nothing. -.-

Old 09-03-2010, 08:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Sorry to hear that, wonder if it's also a bad battery, if so I believe that dfkt did a tutorial in the Clip forums on how to replace it. Regardless if you can not get it recognized in msc mode and do a fw update I don't think it's salvageable, as I’m sure there’s something corrupt in the fw as well :/

On another note you could always get a refurbished Clip, the 2GB ones start around $13 when there is a special. All mine except one are refurbs and they're several years old now and still ticking.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:24 AM

Well, I'll still be trying to Save it, but I was planning on Upgrading sooner or later anyway. Some Cheap Refurb Zune 80's on Amazon or a Fuze.
I still have one thing bugging me though. What could've caused this? A bad mp3 file?

Old 09-03-2010, 08:30 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I have seen bad mp3 files create some problems but not like what you describe, it’s not uncommon that firmware can get corrupted, especially if it’s one of the older versions that may have had some issues.

Edit: I’ve got to say that I’ve tried my trick connecting the 3 v1’s we have and all connect. Granted none currently have issues, but like I said earlier, two of them at one time were dead and I was able to fix them by connecting from where they wouldn’t even turn on. I just remembered that with one of them I had to let the battery die for about one or two days (after a failed reset) before it finally connected, like I said from off position with the lock/hold trick.

Edit 2: BTW this does not work with the v2's, I've tried. There is a shorting trick on the rockbox site to revive it ...

Last edited by WalkGood; 09-03-2010 at 08:38 AM.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:15 AM

New Discovery, When I plug it in while it is ON, I receive the message of USB not recognized. If I updated the drivers would that help? and how.

Edit: Does anybody have the Driver Files? I'm running Windows XP. If I could Update the Drivers, then I think I can get it rolling again.

Last edited by Didu50; 09-03-2010 at 09:54 PM.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

There are no special driver files. The driver for MSC mode is included as part of Windows, and for MTP mode in Windows Media Player 10 and above.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:19 AM

I can't get it into MSC mode. May the Clip rest in Peace. It served me well. :'(

Old 09-05-2010, 10:02 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didu50 View Post
I can't get it into MSC mode. May the Clip rest in Peace. It served me well. :'(
If you have it in you for one last try, leave it alone for a week or so after a reset, which should run the battery down, don't charge and try the lock/hold trick again. Not that it will change anything but it's worth a try as one of mine did connect like that and was saved. If it connects and you can do a fw update, don't forget to leave it connected long enough for it to charge again. If it runs out of juice during a fw upgrade it will surely be bricked.

If nothing works, why not donate to the rockbox guys so they can play with it to see if they identify other solutions.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:09 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Ditto as to not giving up yet. These things tend to resurrect themselves unexpectedly, given some time. Good luck!

Old 09-05-2010, 07:43 PM

so I should just leave it on, let the battery run out and then try again? sounds good.

Old 09-06-2010, 05:45 PM

What the hell? Trying to run the battery down, now it only stays on when I am holding the power down. Also the Signature glowing blue ring is really dull too.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It may be just about out; if I recall correctly, it has protection to avoid an absolute full discharge, which it may not be able to recover from. You might want to charge it with your AC charger now, leaving it charging overnight.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

No need to charge it overnight.....it shouldn't take more than 3 hours, 4 at the very most.... even with a lower power charger. Save a few bucks on your energy bill and unplug when it is done.
vampire-electronics

Old 09-07-2010, 08:42 PM

Well. I can not Find any fix for this clip. I would just like to know what caused this, and How I could prevent it next time.
I have a path to choose. I plan on Getting a new Mp3 player on Black friday. Should I just wait it out with nothing, or not wait till black friday and buy a Refurb 29.99 Sansa Fuze 4GB?

Old 09-08-2010, 02:17 PM

This may or may not be of any help for you, but, in my experience, that tiny little Clip is a MAJOR power-hog. It will NOT behave properly, EVEN WITH A FULLY CHARGED BATTERY, if it is connected to a USB port that does NOT deliver FULL power.

If you are connecting via an unpowered hub -- or, an UNDERPOWERED port (many computers do NOT provide full power on the FRONT PANEL sockets -- only the REAR panel sockets have full-power USB ports), the Clip will behave as if it's on its last legs.

Another possible cause for this behavior is a bad/dirty cable (or socket/connector). If there is a break in one of the power leads -- even a partial break (i.e., a few strands broken), that will introduce enough resistance to cause a voltage drop -- you will NOT be able to successfully connect to the computer, EVEN IF THE CLIP'S BATTERY S FULLY CHARGED.

Just about caused me fits until I figured out what was happening when this happened to me.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:45 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Do me a favor: leave it alone for a few days, and then go back and see if it works. If not, leave it charged for at least overnight (yes, I know that the player recharges in far less), and then likewise see if it works. The player has been known to come back to life in those circumstances. Good luck!

Old 09-20-2010, 09:15 AM

Nothing. I've been toying around with it for 2 weeks now, Doing all of the afore mentioned method's but nothing. I think it just finally Gave out. I bought the Deal on woot today though, 8GB Fuze Refurb for 35 plus shipping. I intend on Keeping my Clip as it was a very faithful, and amazing little player. R.I.P.